IGNORED

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iPutt

Does anyone actually hit into the fairway bunker on 10? It appears that it's about 30 yards from the green yet too far to drive into. I just can't see any pro being in there.

That bunker was a greenside hazard when the course was first built. Rainwater would settle on the original green in the bottom of that valley, so a new one was built up the hill on the other side several years later. As jamo said, MacKenzie's original bunkering was similarly shaped; for some reason, that bunker is the only one like it that survives today.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Phil will be playing with two drivers this week.

Fourteen percent of Phil Mickelson’s bag this week at the Masters will be drivers.

In other words, he’s packing two this week, just as he did in 2006 when winning his second Green Jacket.

With warm weather expected for all four days at Augusta National, Mickelson figures he won’t need a 3-iron or hybrid, which opened up space for a second Callaway Razr Hawk driver.

“If it’s cold, I’ll need like a 3-iron on hole 4 (a 240-yard par-3) but the forecast is to be pretty hot so I’ll put in a second driver will allow me to carry the bunkers on (nos.) 2 and 8.”

For those par-5s he’ll have a driver with 5.9 degrees of loft, a higher center of gravity and a 46-inch shaft, one inch longer than his standard driver, which is 7.5 degrees.

“They both draw and fade the same. That’s not the purpose of it,” Mickelson said. “I have an inch longer shaft and different loft. It just goes about 15, 20 yards farther.”

For Mickelson this is the second consecutive week of driver drama, if you will. Last week at the Shell Houston Open he thought he spotted a hairline crack on his driver face during the first round. It turned out to be intact, but just to be safe Callaway immediately flew in backups.

“On some of these drivers that we’ve tried, you know, we have to machine them, and so sometimes titanium isn’t quite as strong,” Mickelson said after his second round at Redstone. “Now it won’t be an issue. It’s been terrific. To me that’s one of the great things that I love about being with Callaway is that they’re able to create such an identical club that I can’t tell the difference.”

http://www.majorschampionships.com/masters/2011/tourreport/?http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2011/04/06/two-drivers-odd-shoes-and-wedges/

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Goosen must've just holed out from the fairway. He's 2-under through 1 according to the leaderboard on yahoo.com. Not a bad way to start off the Masters!

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Disappointed there's no shot tracker on pgatour.com

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I really don't know why I fail to just take this day off every year so that I can stay home and watch TV instead of reading about the tourney or logging onto the Masters site.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

I really don't know why I fail to just take this day off every year so that I can stay home and watch TV instead of reading about the tourney or logging onto the Masters site.

I know....I considered calling in 'sick'....but here I am at work watching a boring leader board instead

Ross Fisher is playing the rabbit's role today. He was one of the first three players to tee off this morning, and he's posted a 33 going out to set a brisk starting pace.

The weather is perfect at Augusta right now. Temperatures are warming by the minute, and winds have died down from earlier in the week. Should be plenty of red numbers on the leaderboard at the end of the day.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Ross Fisher is playing the rabbit's role today. He was one of the first three players to tee off this morning, and he's posted a 33 going out to set a brisk starting pace.

The weather is perfect at Augusta right now. Temperatures are warming by the minute, and winds have died down from earlier in the week. Should be plenty of red numbers on the leaderboard at the end of the day.

Crazy front nine 2 bogeys, 5 birdies

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I know....I considered calling in 'sick'....but here I am at work watching a boring leader board instead

Live video coverage begins at 12:00 eastern at the Masters website. Amen Corner is on the air right now.

Ooh, sick putt by Fisher at 11. 50 feet, bottom of the cup, 4-under. He's feeling it.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

That bunker was a greenside hazard when the course was first built. Rainwater would settle on the original green in the bottom of that valley, so a new one was built up the hill on the other side several years later. As jamo said, MacKenzie's original bunkering was similarly shaped; for some reason, that bunker is the only one like it that survives today.

Yes Alister Mackenzie does that on a lot of his courses, On a couple of holes at my club (which he designed) there are these types of bunkers, especially on long par 4's so if you go for the green in 2, you can face a tough 3rd if you hit a bad shot into the pot.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Bullsh$t....no one outside of the States can view live coverage.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Goosen must've just holed out from the fairway. He's 2-under through 1 according to the leaderboard on yahoo.com. Not a bad way to start off the Masters!

He's tied with Fisher at 4-under through four holes. It's easy to feel confident in one's game after slam-dunking the approach from the first fairway.

Now McIlroy making a move

Yeah it sucks big time. anyone know of any streaming sites working?

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Bullsh$t....no one outside of the States can view live coverage.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!