IGNORED

I Think Tiger Putts Better With...

SVTGolfer
Note: This thread is 4774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Like was said already… NOT historically… But after today Im not sure its even a valid argument at the moment. He didn't putt particularly well today, but I dont think it would have changed with the Scotty. Just looked like he had lost his touch and feel.

There hasn't really been a valid argument for him to ponder using a Nike putter other than $$. If he wanted to switch from Titleist to a putter used by other multiple major winners though, there are tons of brands he coud check out like PING, Odyssey, Wilson, Cleveland, MacGregor, etc.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There hasn't really been a valid argument for him to ponder using a Nike putter other than $$. If he wanted to switch from Titleist to a putter used by other multiple major winners though, there are tons of brands he coud check out like PING, Odyssey, Wilson, Cleveland, MacGregor, etc.

true, more money for tiger. but I think he wanted to change it up a little bit with the putter when he fell apart. but, I don't believe it was his putter. it is all tiger and his mental game. with the scotty in hand, he has won to many events to ignore the fact that his scotty he used for many many years is what he putt best with.

svtgolfer. sorry for saying scotty again. I know they said not historically. but he isn't putting good at all with any putters he has played with the past year. so, how can you choose one?

if I had to choose one, I would say his sandwedge. he is lethal within an inch of the cup with his wedge. lol

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

And that means… What...?

That means Nike would like you to think that their putters are better than Camerons.  Its called, "marketing", friend.  After the way he putted yesterday the notion that he putts better with the Nike is out the window.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Does anyone really believe that one is better than the other, objectively? If Tiger can play with both, they are both good putters. Most of us would be able to play equally well with both, some might favor one, some the other. They look the same, but got some different characteristics, most importantly the weight distribution. Heel vs toe.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

That means Nike would like you to think that their putters are better than Camerons.  Its called, "marketing", friend.  After the way he putted yesterday the notion that he putts better with the Nike is out the window.

Or he just had a bad day? He's had plenty of those with the Scotty this year.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Bad day is the obvious answer, I think he was just refuting the "he putted well today with the Method, it's better than the Scotty" argument.  Putters are putters, I have good days and bad with all kinds.  I didn't love the Method when it came out, but I tried out a couple Method Core models last week and loved the feel off the insert.

Originally Posted by jamo

Marketing? Isn't that what Cameron is the master of? Good luck to him. Everyone knows that all putters of a decent quality are the same. The Nike is just as good as the Cameron which is as good as an Odyssey, Yes etc.etc. How Tiger is putting has everything to do with how Tiger is putting and virtually nothing to do with the putter he is using. We may as well be comparing his putting when he wears white shoes as opposed to black.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Does anyone really believe that one is better than the other, objectively? If Tiger can play with both, they are both good putters. Most of us would be able to play equally well with both, some might favor one, some the other. They look the same, but got some different characteristics, most importantly the weight distribution. Heel vs toe.

Some people do.  Just look at all the people who swear that they putt better with a Camron.  Im sure a lot of people will look at Tiger with the Method and think they need to have a Method because, "if Tiger putts better with it then I will too".

Agree.

Originally Posted by max power

Bad day is the obvious answer, I think he was just refuting the "he putted well today with the Method, it's better than the Scotty" argument.  Putters are putters, I have good days and bad with all kinds.  I didn't love the Method when it came out, but I tried out a couple Method Core models last week and loved the feel off the insert.

Also agree.  Im not a fan of the Method.  IMO its nothing new.  Bettinardi has been doing the same thing with face milling for years.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Marketing?

Isn't that what Cameron is the master of? Good luck to him.

Everyone knows that all putters of a decent quality are the same.

The Nike is just as good as the Cameron which is as good as an Odyssey, Yes etc.etc.

How Tiger is putting has everything to do with how Tiger is putting and virtually nothing to do with the putter he is using.

We may as well be comparing his putting when he wears white shoes as opposed to black.

I agree.  That was why I made the comment that Nike would like people think that he putts better with the Method, so therefore it must be better than a Cameron.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

When someone is in a putting funk, looking at something different can "cross-wire" the brain, akin to rebooting a computer.  It's similar to people that switch from a standard length to a belly, or to the claw grip from the standard grip.  It's safe to assume both putters were fit to him (which is what I hope everyone has done with their own putters), but they do look different, with different feels.  But to suggest one being "better" than the other is a waste of time.  It doesn't matter how many he's won with one or the other... the effect it has on his mind is the most important feature.  Maybe it snaps him out of his putting funk, maybe it doesn't.

I see your point, but I disagree with it… This is a true statement for a lot of things within golf, however, I highly doubt that Tiger of all people would play anything that didn't work perfectly! Especially while struggling. I think that the fact that TW decided to try a Method on the course in competition while he was struggling says something.

Not to mention I USED to play a Scotty Cameron myself, and went to a Nike Method because it rolled better for me. I could see, hear, and feel the difference with that putter when I compared it to my Scotty.

… So how about after today, is the Method back on the table? Hahaha, I found myself sitting in front of my TV and actually cheering out loud when his putts would drop!!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Marketing?

Isn't that what Cameron is the master of? Good luck to him.

Everyone knows that all putters of a decent quality are the same.

The Nike is just as good as the Cameron which is as good as an Odyssey, Yes etc.etc.

How Tiger is putting has everything to do with how Tiger is putting and virtually nothing to do with the putter he is using.

We may as well be comparing his putting when he wears white shoes as opposed to black.

Hahaha, I actually like your answer this time…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Your level of putter enthusiasm/fandom is a little freaky.  Not Flight of the Conchords freaky, the bad kind.

I see your point, but I disagree with it… This is a true statement for a lot of things within golf, however, I highly doubt that Tiger of all people would play anything that didn't work perfectly! Especially while struggling. I think that the fact that TW decided to try a Method on the course in competition while he was struggling says something.

Not to mention I USED to play a Scotty Cameron myself, and went to a Nike Method because it rolled better for me. I could see, hear, and feel the difference with that putter when I compared it to my Scotty.

… So how about after today, is the Method back on the table? Hahaha, I found myself sitting in front of my TV and actually cheering out loud when his putts would drop!!

Originally Posted by max power

Your level of putter enthusiasm/fandom is a little freaky.  Not Flight of the Conchords freaky, the bad kind.

hahaha. everyone has their "thing." svt likes golf and so do the rest of us.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Yeah-I'm just being tongue in cheek.  I've already got 4 putters, and now I want a Method Core after hitting one on two separate days last week.  Weight distribution felt right, roll off the insert was perfect for my swing.

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

hahaha. everyone has their "thing." svt likes golf and so do the rest of us.

Well, whether or not Tiger putted any better (I vote "No"), there's no doubt it was possible to win The Masters with a Nike Method putter in the bag.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Well, whether or not Tiger putted any better (I vote "No"), there's no doubt it was possible to win The Masters with a Nike Method putter in the bag.

Of course it is. Charl Schwartzel did it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Damn. You beat me to it!

Although, is a Method without an insert truly still a Method?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Of course it is. Charl Schwartzel did it.

I want Cabrera or Schwarzel's driver, Schwarzel or Donald's irons (his ball in the water on #12 was as much a fluke as his chip in on #18), and for the putter I'll look into whatever Donald, Schwarzel, Day, or Ogilvy were using. That should guarantee success, right?

Note: This thread is 4774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!