IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Why not buy the DVD and later decide if you need the class? Let's not overthink it... just do it.

Based on the reviews of AP, I would have purchased the DVD already; however, Eric (a certified instructor) stated that a majority would not "get" it. Why waste my money if it is probable I'll need to pay more for an actual class at a later date?

• Administrator
Based on the reviews of AP, I would have purchased the DVD already; however, Erik (a certified instructor) stated that a majority would not "get" it. Why waste my money if it is probable I'll need to pay more for an actual class at a later date?

Fixed my name. You might get it. But it'll take time and there's a chance you don't put in that time. Easier in the end to take a class. Do both. That's my final recommendation. Three hours is a long way. I bet someone may be closer. Schedule a local session with someone and round up a few buddies. I'd even come out if it made sense.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Based on the reviews of AP, I would have purchased the DVD already; however, Eric (a certified instructor) stated that a majority would not "get" it. Why waste my money if it is probable I'll need to pay more for an actual class at a later date?

My opinion is that a book/DVD does not take the place of personal instruction, but a few can get many of the benefits by studying the DVD.  It may take 3-5 viewings of the DVD and rehearsing in the tv room to start.

I think personal instruction followed by the DVD is best.

As all have stated, determining slope is subtle, and it's helpful and vital to have someone familiar to help with slope. Slope determination, I assume, is slightly different for everyone, so it's good to have interaction with a live instructor.

And having viewed the DVD and taken the course, both have benefits. The DVD goes into some detail that the class does not; and vice versa.

I can see where the DVD might be a good intro so you are familiar with the material before the class. It's like preparing for class -- you get more out of the instruction if you are familiar with the subject material.

good luck.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Very, and I mean VERY disappointed in the Aimpoint Class I recently took.  To the point of WTF was that?

It is a small (golf) world and at this point I am not sure if my frustration should be geared toward the class, the instructor (who I liked)  or just to unrealistic expectations...as such I won't go into many specifics publicly, but anyone who would like more insight feel free to PM.

I will say  that I found some (though not much)  value, but nowhere near the value of time and cost (both $ and opportunity).  I also don't doubt the science behind the entire concept, but translating the science into something usable is another story, and I don't feel as though I gained any where near enough knowledge of that science  to be any more effective than 30 minutes of "self-study" on a tricky practice green.

Very, and I mean VERY disappointed in the Aimpoint Class I recently took.  To the point of WTF was that? It is a small (golf) world and at this point I am not sure if my frustration should be geared toward the class, the instructor (who I liked)  or just to unrealistic expectations...as such I won't go into many specifics publicly, but anyone who would like more insight feel free to PM. I will say  that I found some (though not much)  value, but nowhere near the value of time and cost (both $ and opportunity).  I also don't doubt the science behind the entire concept, but translating the science into something usable is another story, and I don't feel as though I gained any where near enough knowledge of that science  to be any more effective than 30 minutes of "self-study" on a tricky practice green.

I don't personally see an issue with expressing specifics on why you are not happy or why you are disappointed. I have taken the class and feel like I understand greens and how to read breaks much better than before, why don't you?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Very, and I mean VERY disappointed in the Aimpoint Class I recently took.  To the point of WTF was that?

It is a small (golf) world and at this point I am not sure if my frustration should be geared toward the class, the instructor (who I liked)  or just to unrealistic expectations...as such I won't go into many specifics publicly, but anyone who would like more insight feel free to PM.

I will say  that I found some (though not much)  value, but nowhere near the value of time and cost (both $ and opportunity).  I also don't doubt the science behind the entire concept, but translating the science into something usable is another story, and I don't feel as though I gained any where near enough knowledge of that science  to be any more effective than 30 minutes of "self-study" on a tricky practice green.

I would bet you a great deal of money that your "self study" would lose against anyone proficient in AimPoint.  The science is sound. It is physics and the creator collected a great deal of data proving it.   AimPoint green reading takes practice.  Perhaps you have not put enough time into it to gain the benefit.  I spent a few weeks after taking the class practicing my reads with a level.  I can read very fast and my reads are accurate.  Execution then requires correct speed and start line.

If you went in as a skeptic and did not practice, I can see why you would be disappointed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Very, and I mean VERY disappointed in the Aimpoint Class I recently took.  To the point of WTF was that? It is a small (golf) world and at this point I am not sure if my frustration should be geared toward the class, the instructor (who I liked)  or just to unrealistic expectations...as such I won't go into many specifics publicly, but anyone who would like more insight feel free to PM. I will say  that I found some (though not much)  value, but nowhere near the value of time and cost (both $ and opportunity).  I also don't doubt the science behind the entire concept, but translating the science into something usable is another story, and I don't feel as though I gained any where near enough knowledge of that science  to be any more effective than 30 minutes of "self-study" on a tricky practice green.

I agree with @boogielicious , if you don't put the time in to practice it won't do much for you. I'd also hazard you to not wait an overly long time to start practicing the method because the 90 minutes class (or whatever it is) won't stick with you forever if you don't use it. The more time I put into aimpoint the more the "doors of green reading" open up to me. I even use it on double breaking putts, just break it into segments. As for the "30 minutes of self study on a tricky practice green", that'd be great if you could take that practice green around with you and putt on it instead of the greens on the course and if the stimp remained constant regardless of weather and season. Aimpoint gives you the tools and confidence to be comfortable and successful on any green under any conditions, but you have to put the time into it or you're wasting your time and money. Aimpoint is not essential, plenty of world class putters who don't use it, but anyone that puts the time and effort into learning it (taking the class is only half the equation) will certainly become a better putter.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't want to seem as though I'm piling on but AimPoint is great.  In the short aftermath after taking the class, I was already reading greens and putting better and that was without practicing.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

So what were the issues you had afterwards, and

Do you have a consistent setup and stroke -- putting stroke analyzed in a SAM Lab?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I would bet you a great deal of money that your "self study" would lose against anyone proficient in AimPoint.  The science is sound. It is physics and the creator collected a great deal of data proving it.   AimPoint green reading takes practice.  Perhaps you have not put enough time into it to gain the benefit.  I spent a few weeks after taking the class practicing my reads with a level.  I can read very fast and my reads are accurate.  Execution then requires correct speed and start line.

If you went in as a skeptic and did not practice, I can see why you would be disappointed.

I did not go in as a skeptic, I went in like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas.  Due to travel I have not had a chance to practice, but to be honest I am not even sure what to practice.  I learned virtually nothing about dealing with varying speeds of puts and in particular effects of uphill downhill on similar reads.

So what were the issues you had afterwards, and

Do you have a consistent setup and stroke -- putting stroke analyzed in a SAM Lab?

In general the stroke and set up are pretty good though sometimes inconsistent.  One thing I did find helpful was to not get distracted by the hole and to be sure I am putting/stroking to the spot....but that is not anything specific to Aimpoint.  I honestly feel that time spend with this instructor on just putting in general would have been much better spent.

I find it extremely difficult to get from looking at the spot as say 3 fingers from center of the cup to identifying that spot on the green and holding it for set up.  If I could not learn how to do that in a class, then trying to practice is just as likely to throw me off as not (i.e I will most likely be practicing the wrong thing).

I know a lot of people love the class and find it useful, I still think I can take something useful from it myself...but wanted to share my experience, so that others can get a different perspective, and/or t find out what I am missing.

• Administrator

I did not go in as a skeptic, I went in like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas.  Due to travel I have not had a chance to practice, but to be honest I am not even sure what to practice.  I learned virtually nothing about dealing with varying speeds of puts and in particular effects of uphill downhill on similar reads.

Then either one of two things happened:

• Your instructor did a poor job.
  • You didn't pay attention.

The information is covered in the class (or is supposed to be). Everyone who takes our class is a better green reader at the end. We prove it to them. Our classes start by asking people to read a putt.

BTW, what you practice is getting the right numbers and calibration is how you adjust for green speeds (or putt speeds). That's all we need to say publicly about that.

I find it extremely difficult to get from looking at the spot as say 3 fingers from center of the cup to identifying that spot on the green and holding it for set up.  If I could not learn how to do that in a class, then trying to practice is just as likely to throw me off as not (i.e I will most likely be practicing the wrong thing).

Are you saying that you lose your spot when you put your fingers down? If so, then… don't lose the spot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Donny Smithern

I find it extremely difficult to get from looking at the spot as say 3 fingers from center of the cup to identifying that spot on the green and holding it for set up.

If you're measuring from the centre of the cup then I would bet on this:

Then either one of two things happened:

Your instructor did a poor job.

You didn't pay attention.

If it was the former, that sucks! If it was the latter...well...that sucks too! ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

If you're measuring from the centre of the cup then I would bet on this:

If it was the former, that sucks! If it was the latter...well...that sucks too!

I'm sure this goes without saying but you can practice this, too.

I started out having difficulty maintaining the spot I picked out after I would look away after picking it and just worked on it.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Did anyone see Stacy Lewis not use AimPoint during the last 1.5 hrs of today's major?

Or did she abandon it the last few holes?

She did not make very makeable putts.

Neither did Lincicome ...

But Lewis, who endorsed AimPoint, did not win.

Coincidence? I just did not see her use it.

Granted, the last two putts were more about lack of speed.

Did anyone see Stacy Lewis not use AimPoint during the last 1.5 hrs of today's major? Or did she abandon it the last few holes? She did not make very makeable putts. Neither did Lincicome ... But Lewis, who endorsed AimPoint, did not win. Coincidence? I just did not see her use it. Granted, the last two putts were more about lack of speed.

I find that odd. You would think that once a player has found success with Aimpoint, they would stick with it. It's not like a swing method (ie: SnT) where a player may decide they were happier with their old mechanics. Execution remains the same. Only the planning (read) has a new methodology.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Did anyone see Stacy Lewis not use AimPoint during the last 1.5 hrs of today's major?

Or did she abandon it the last few holes?

She did not make very makeable putts.

Neither did Lincicome ...

But Lewis, who endorsed AimPoint, did not win.

Coincidence? I just did not see her use it.

Granted, the last two putts were more about lack of speed.

She could have been doing mid point reads and not express.  Not everyone uses express.  Mid point is more accurate.  I did see her go to the mid point on several putts.

Scott

My Swing Thread

She could have been doing mid point reads and not express.  Not everyone uses express.  Mid point is more accurate.  I did see her go to the mid point on several putts.

Good point. I'm just so accustomed to looking for the fingers...

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Good point. I'm just so accustomed to looking for the fingers...

I have also read that some players, men and women, have their caddies do the midpoint read while they are checking out the putt from other angles.

Scott

My Swing Thread