IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't believe it makes golf easier unless you are crippled or playing in horrendous heat or humidity.

Maybe, but I can only comfortably walk 18 holes in a day. I tried 36 holes and that was a bit too much for me. Whereas, I've played 27 holes in a golf cart in a day and would have liked to have played double that time permitting. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally I always carry. Don't really like using a trolley, carts are fun for a laugh but not for when you're supposedly engaged in a sport. I'm told by clever people at the academy that carrying your clubs vs using a cart or trolley will cost you about half a shot a round on average. Stats can prove anything though.

Regarding Mark Crossfield he turned teaching pro off scratch. Maybe he got a little better or maybe a little worse but Gamegolf has him pinned at +0.5 right now. 

Random Mark Crossfield link.....

image.png

Pete Iveson

That is completely absurd. Unless you are playing an incredibly hilly course on an incredibly hot day and/or are elderly or infirm, you have a serious problem if walking the course affects your score.

You clearly do not drink enough and smoke enough cigars while playing. 

• Upvote 1

You clearly do not drink enough and smoke enough cigars while playing. 

Had to give you a + on that one! :beer:

I have to admit that one time I walked and drank a few beers, I was not finding the fairways. That is, I hit my ball into them, but couldn't find the fairway or my balls. :-D

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Personally I always carry. Don't really like using a trolley, carts are fun for a laugh but not for when you're supposedly engaged in a sport. I'm told by clever people at the academy that carrying your clubs vs using a cart or trolley will cost you about half a shot a round on average. Stats can prove anything though.

Regarding Mark Crossfield he turned teaching pro off scratch. Maybe he got a little better or maybe a little worse but Gamegolf has him pinned at +0.5 right now. 

I believe it. One reason you will see many college teams here doing so. However, with your goal carrying should be a training exercise as Jack saw it for himself in his college years. You can enjoy the physical advantage of the extra energy when you have a pro caddy.

BTW, now that you are at least a year into your program, what's the update on official handicap? Shouldn't you have at least a yearly progress check? 

Kevin

• Administrator

BTW, now that you are at least a year into your program, what's the update on official handicap? Shouldn't you have at least a yearly progress check? 

This is the Dan Plan thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Is Charlie who commented on the latest post on Dan's blog someone on here? Just rings a bell....

Charlie says:

As we’ve agreed all along, you’re just one data point in the testing of the 10,000-hours theory, but at least you’ve learned a lot along the way. I’ll bet if we took 50 people at the start, there would be many playing as well as you, many playing worse — including many because of injury — but even the ones better than you wouldn’t be close to being a low-level tour pro. 10,000 hours isn’t a sufficient condition for mastery; it’s merely a necessary one.

I hope the folks in Finland ask good questions!

Pete Iveson

Well, it doesn't sound dead, anyway. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not to sound repetitive. But I strongly, vehemently, strenuously disagree with the statement in the last tweet: "5 months putting 6 hours a day".  What a way to suck the fun out of a game where the best part is getting the ball in the air.

Ah, I just saw your response @iacas right after I wrote this.

• Upvote 1

Steve

5 months of putting probably fits right into a possible training routine for a training institute in Finland on the verge of a long cold winter indoors. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Not to sound repetitive. But I strongly, vehemently, strenuously disagree with the statement in the last tweet: "5 months putting 6 hours a day".  What a way to suck the fun out of a game where the best part is getting the ball in the air.

I couldn't agree more.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!