IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, collapse said:

You need to separate HC from tournament play.....the Dan plan was focused on HC....I see nothing that says he didn't follow the HC system of tabulating his ,making him a 2 or 3.

Dan Plan focused on playing on the PGA Tour. If one can't hold up in an amateur tournament, how will one handle a professional one?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, nevets88 said:

Dan Plan focused on playing on the PGA Tour. If one can't hold up in an amateur tournament, how will one handle a professional one?

Ok fine Nevets88....but the OP is working on a scratch HC,so effectively was Dan....that is job one to be done.....as they now say in sports..it's a "process",

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

OT, but it's entirely two different questions if he is fabricating scores or has an unrealistic goal.

Kevin

27 minutes ago, natureboy said:

OT, but it's entirely two different questions if he is fabricating scores or has an unrealistic goal.

Yes, it's getting off topic getting into specifics of The Dan Plan, but the posted information is to affirm that if you want to get good fast, The Dan Plan is not the optimal way to go about it, whatever that is - if you read the blog, there aren't a lot of concrete specifics w/respect to practicing.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, nevets88 said:

Yes, it's getting off topic getting into specifics of his plan, but the posted information is to affirm that if you want to get good fast, his is not the optimal way to go about it. And if you read his blog, there aren't a lot of concrete specifics of how to.

You either believe he got to a 2 or 3 HC or don't.....that is the only measure under consideration.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Anyway....what we now have with the OP is,can you get to scratch from 13.3 in 6 or 7 mos.The Dan plan says it doesn't look good..

53 minutes ago, collapse said:

You need to separate HC from tournament play.....the Dan plan was focused on HC....I see nothing that says he didn't follow the HC system of tabulating his ,making him a 2 or 3.

Not really.

51 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Exactly.

47 minutes ago, collapse said:

Ok fine Nevets88....but the OP is working on a scratch HC,so effectively was Dan....that is job one to be done.....as they now say in sports..it's a "process",

Sure, but the golfer wanting to get to scratch from 30 in 18 months sounds much closer to this goal than Dan of the Dan plan.

46 minutes ago, natureboy said:

Never stated that he was fabricating scores, there's no reason to think this at all. I think he is playing an easier game, just because he doesn't know and understand all the ROG.

18 minutes ago, collapse said:

You either believe he got to a 2 or 3 HC or don't.....that is the only measure under consideration.

He's currently listed as a 5.6 or something in that area. That's possible, but some on this site think that's a little too generous to Dan?

6 minutes ago, collapse said:

Anyway....what we now have with the OP is,can you get to scratch from 13.3 in 6 or 7 mos.The Dan plan says it doesn't look good..

Not so sure that Dan is doing that much better than the 30toscratch18months. Remember than he spent a good 6 months putting then a year after he started the long game was shooting in the single digits. That's 18 months, the 30toscratch18months still has 10 months to get to something like a 6 handicap. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Not really.

Exactly.

Sure, but the OP sounds much closer to this goal than Dan of the Dan plan.

Never stated that he was fabricating scores, there's no reason to think this at all. I think he is playing an easier game, just because he doesn't know and understand all the ROG.

He's currently listed as a 5.6 or something in that area. That's possible, but some on this site think that's a little too generous to Dan?

Ok 5.6....he had 10,000 hours to get to scratch...what has he used so far?...5000?6000?...maybe 7000

Edited by collapse

29 minutes ago, collapse said:

I believe he's honest about his HC. But imho he could have improved even more, more quickly w/better instruction, practice, planning.

Steve

13 minutes ago, collapse said:

Ok 5.6....he had 10,000 hours to get to scratch...what has he used so far?...5000?6000?

6000 so far.

You could read some of the blogs learn a little more about "The Dan Plan". http://thedanplan.com/

Here's his experience in tournaments about the same time he broke par playing "casual" golf. . .http://thedanplan.com/a-tournament-setback-and-some-lessons-to-learn/. To me this doesn't sound like a golfer who can break par under any circumstances by the ROG.

4 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I believe he's honest about his HC. But imho he could have improved even more, more quickly w/better instruction, practice, planning.

I think he scored himself as well as he knew how to score. . .Agree with the better instruction part. He really needs to take up Erik on his offer if it still stands. This way, at the very least he will not get injured making a golf swing. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

6000 so far.

http://thedanplan.com/

You could read some of the blogs learn a little more about "The Dan Plan".

Here's his experience in tournaments about the same time he broke par playing "casual" golf. . .

http://thedanplan.com/a-tournament-setback-and-some-lessons-to-learn/

What's to know....he's used 60% of his 10,000 hrs and is a 5.6 HC, but you say that is no good.

50 minutes ago, collapse said:

I don't believe he did, because the evidence from his tournament scores says otherwise. 

We know that in a tournament he is forced to play by the rules of golf and cannot fabricate his scores. Under those conditions he has never broken 80. The only time he has broken 80 is when he was unsupervised playing on his own, and was feeling pressured to keep his handicap dropping to continue garnishing support.

In other words, he had every reason to fabricate his handicap and I don't see any evidence to support him actually playing at a 2 or 3 handicap level. His course management and consistency (in tournaments, when he recorded his rounds in detail for us) is piss-poor compared to any 2-3 handicapper I have ever met (with his course management being worse than many high handicappers on this site) and he had significant motivation to fabricate his handicap when on his own to keep the donations flowing.

25 minutes ago, collapse said:

What's to know....he's used 60% of his 10,000 hrs and is a 5.6 HC, but you say that is no good.

Compared to your typical hacker on the golf course? Yes, Dan is really good, but for someone who plays full time and has aspirations to get to PGA pro? Here's some food for thought. . .

Even my son is a 6 handicap (even when playing off season, not even playing once a week), he spent probably less than 1/5 the time Dan spent, but youth has strength and flexibility. He's in the middle of his team mates in the top 6 scoring golfers in a varsity division 3 high school team. My son's long time friend is a golf addict, and is on a division 1 high school team playing off a 2 (off season) with his best recorded HC a slight plus, he's 3rd on his team next to two plus handicaps +1.5 and +2.

There are probably thousands of high school kids that play to a 6, some of whom practiced less than my son and some more. All of them have well surpassed Dan in his "achievement".

Dan is competing head to head with the hundred or so plus handicap kids that get accepted to division 1 universities and colleges every year because he wants to become a pro golfer. The average estimated HC of a PGA pro is +4.

Do you agree that +4 is extremely far away from a 6?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Compared to your typical hacker on the golf course? Yes, Dan is really good, but for someone who plays full time and has aspirations to get to PGA pro? Here's some food for thought. . .

Even my son is a 6 handicap (even when playing off season, not even playing once a week), he spent probably less than 1/5 the time Dan spent, but youth has strength and flexibility. He's in the middle of his team mates in the top 6 scoring golfers in the varsity division 3 high school team. My son's long time friend is a golf addict, and is on a division 1 high school team playing off a 2 (off season) with his best recorded HC a slight plus, he's 3rd on his team next to two plus handicaps +1.5 and +2.

There are probably thousands of high schools kids that play to a 6, of whom some practiced less than my son and some much more. All of them have well surpassed Dan in his "achievement".

Dan is competing head to head with the hundred or so plus handicap kids that go to division 1 universities and colleges every year because he wants to become a pro golfer. The average estimated HC of a PGA pro is +4.

Do you agree that +4 is extremely far away from a 6?

Nothing matters other than 6000 hrs got him to 5.6 and he has 40% of his alloted time left.

2 minutes ago, collapse said:

Nothing matters other than 6000 hrs got him to 5.6 and he has 40% of his alloted time left.

Nevermind the fact that he isn't actually a 5.6 handicap and there are others on this site, such as @Nosevi and @Mjrowe1 (I myself have gotten to the point I'm at from a 24 handicap, in approximately 3000 hours or so) who have a much better chance of hitting scratch or going pro anytime in the future than Dan does.

Dan wanted to turn pro in 10,000 hours to compete on the PGA tour. It's rather entertaining to watch him crash as burn as his dishonesty begins to catch up with him, whereas he could have just admitted golf is hard and avoided lying to everyone.

8 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I don't believe he did, because the evidence from his tournament scores says otherwise. 

We know that in a tournament he is forced to play by the rules of golf and cannot fabricate his scores. Under those conditions he has never broken 80. The only time he has broken 80 is when he was unsupervised playing on his own, and was feeling pressured to keep his handicap dropping to continue garnishing support.

In other words, he had every reason to fabricate his handicap and I don't see any evidence to support him actually playing at a 2 or 3 handicap level. His course management and consistency (in tournaments, when he recorded his rounds in detail for us) is piss-poor compared to any 2-3 handicapper I have ever met (with his course management being worse than many high handicappers on this site) and he had significant motivation to fabricate his handicap when on his own to keep the donations flowing.

To be honest, he does sound like an 9HC to 11HC rather than a mid single digit player who made it to a 2-3. I sometimes play with 2HC-4HC, and they don't play anything like Dan described. Dan is a candidate to GG for sure, and it would be interesting to play a "challenge" against him.

3 minutes ago, collapse said:

Sure, it's what he can do with the remaining 4000 hours that counts, but his short driving distance is going to limit his progress. I think he can still make scratch, but I definitely waiver on this opinion.

Just now, Pretzel said:

Nevermind the fact that he isn't actually a 5.6 handicap and there are others on this site, such as @Nosevi and @Mjrowe1 (I myself have gotten to the point I'm at from a 24 handicap, in approximately 3000 hours or so) who have a much better chance of hitting scratch or going pro anytime in the future than Dan does.

Dan wanted to turn pro in 10,000 hours to compete on the PGA tour. It's rather entertaining to watch him crash as burn as his dishonesty begins to catch up with him, whereas he could have just admitted golf is hard and avoided lying to everyone.

This is more or less what most of the other low single digit and scratch players have stated on this site. . .

I'm getting the feeling that most people on this site have not played with 2HC or scratch players before. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

You seem to be blowing this into something it isn't.It's about a guy who set a task for himself and seeing if he could accomplish it.It's not about him being any more or less capable than anyone else,it's just one man and his personal test.

16 minutes ago, collapse said:

You seem to be blowing this into something it isn't.It's about a guy who set a task for himself and seeing if he could accomplish it.It's not about him being any more or less capable than anyone else,it's just one man and his personal test.

He quit his job and told the world that he's going to become one of the best golfers in the world by putting in 10,000 hours of deliberate practice. I don't see how @Pretzel is over stating anything?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!