IGNORED

Who else sneaks on the golf courses?

sc0braj
Note: This thread is 3354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't want to open a huge can of worms, and i agree, you're right, 2 wrongs don't necessarily make a right, I guess I'm just saying i don't care to much about people sneaking on a course. I've done it, and that doesn't make it right either, i think I'm just saying that for kids, it's not such a big deal...imho...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

I don't want to open a huge can of worms, and i agree, you're right, 2 wrongs don't necessarily make a right, I guess I'm just saying i don't care to much about people sneaking on a course. I've done it, and that doesn't make it right either, i think I'm just saying that for kids, it's not such a big deal...imho...

Of course. Kids do a lot of things that are not "right". The opinion of what is "right" can be manipulated by anyone and if you really want to get philosophical, you could say nothing is ever really wrong, it is only perception.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Stealing is stealing. If adults aren't willing or able to teach kids that, then they'll grow up into adults with no concept of right and wrong.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Stealing is stealing.

If adults aren't willing or able to teach kids that, then they'll grow up into adults with no concept of right and wrong.

While you are 100% right ... I don't know that kids sneaking onto a golf course would always qualify as stealing.

If we're talking about sneaking on during business hours in the middle of other paying players, or kids who are tearing up the course, then certainly.

But, what if we're talking about kids who live on the course, let's say, and they go out right before dark when nobody is out there, play a couple of holes, leave everything as it was (replace divots, rake bunkers, fix ball marks)?  That is stealing on the same level that using a McDonalds bathroom or play area without making a purchase is stealing.

Just saying, not everything is black and white.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

While you are 100% right ... I don't know that kids sneaking onto a golf course would always qualify as stealing.

If we're talking about sneaking on during business hours in the middle of other paying players, or kids who are tearing up the course, then certainly.

But, what if we're talking about kids who live on the course, let's say, and they go out right before dark when nobody is out there, play a couple of holes, leave everything as it was (replace divots, rake bunkers, fix ball marks)?  That is stealing on the same level that using a McDonalds bathroom or play area without making a purchase is stealing.

Holy crap - I just went on a multi-state crime spree without even realizing it!

• Upvote 1

While you are 100% right ... I don't know that kids sneaking onto a golf course would always qualify as stealing. If we're talking about sneaking on during business hours in the middle of other paying players, or kids who are tearing up the course, then certainly. But, what if we're talking about kids who live on the course, let's say, and they go out right before dark when nobody is out there, play a couple of holes, leave everything as it was (replace divots, rake bunkers, fix ball marks)?  That is stealing on the same level that using a McDonalds bathroom or play area without making a purchase is stealing. Just saying, not everything is black and white.

If the course ownership doesn't mind the type of late in the day messing around you're talking about, yore right......and most don't. But if they do, then I'm sorry, yore taking something of value without permission, and that's theft. My real question continues to be for AW though. I'm assuming he wasn't serious when he said that its ok to steal if the person you steal from doesn't notice........ My sarcasm detector may jjust be a little off, because no one could really mean that.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We have a public par 3 course here that is labeled a "junior golf course", holes range from about 90 yards to 175.  During the off-season (like now), the proshop hours are from 9am to 4pm, but they have a sign that says it is okay to play the course if the shop isn't open as long as frost or weather would lend to course damage during your round.

Before I knew the earlier hours during the off season, I went to try and get a quick 1 hour 9 holes in before going to work (got there at around 6:45am, just as it was getting light).  There were several people starting to play the course around the time when I did.  The local pro (even though it is a par3 junior course, it even has a PGA pro) showed up as people were finishing and greeted them pleasantly and asked about the course condition and such.

I like the idea of having the course open for people to play even if the clubhouse isn't open to charge you.  I just don't know how feasible it is on full courses.

Driver:  :adams: super S

Fairway Woods: :tmade: RBZ 15* 3 wood

Hybrids:  :tmade: Burner 2.0 18* 3H, :adams: A7OS 22* 4H, :adams: A7OS 25* 5H

Irons: :adams: A7OS 6-PW

Wedges:  :cleve: 588 RTX 50* GW, :cleve: 588 BeCu 56* SW

Putter:  :odyssey: White Hot XG #7 2.0

My real question continues to be for AW though. I'm assuming he wasn't serious when he said that its ok to steal if the person you steal from doesn't notice........ My sarcasm detector may jjust be a little off, because no one could really mean that.

I don't know, if Bill Gates had me over for dinner and i found a $50 in his couch cushions...jus' sayin'...lol

Colin P.

Originally Posted by BioGolfNebraska

We have a public par 3 course here that is labeled a "junior golf course", holes range from about 90 yards to 175.  During the off-season (like now), the proshop hours are from 9am to 4pm, but they have a sign that says it is okay to play the course if the shop isn't open as long as frost or weather would lend to course damage during your round.

Before I knew the earlier hours during the off season, I went to try and get a quick 1 hour 9 holes in before going to work (got there at around 6:45am, just as it was getting light).  There were several people starting to play the course around the time when I did.  The local pro (even though it is a par3 junior course, it even has a PGA pro) showed up as people were finishing and greeted them pleasantly and asked about the course condition and such.

I like the idea of having the course open for people to play even if the clubhouse isn't open to charge you.  I just don't know how feasible it is on full courses.

I've played courses like that, only they had a box with a slot in the top and they expected you to fill out the little envelope with your name and how many holes you were playing and put your money in that and drop it in the box.  It's pretty rare any more, but my father-in-law's 9 hole course out in the northeastern plains of Colorado still has that system.  It's a rural course and the box is only for non-members.  The few non-members I've seen out there on those days have always used the box, myself included.  Seems like country folks take a lot of pride in always paying their way through life.  The times when I didn't have the correct change, I made a point of still filling out the envelope, then either paying when I finished if the shop was open then, or going out and finding change, then returning to pay.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by BioGolfNebraska

There is a GC about 50 miles south (Wymore CC) of you that did that. It was quite the cow pasture though. They did update it to 18 holes a while ago and I am not sure if they did away with the drop box. I haven't played there for a while.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

...But, what if we're talking about kids who live on the course, let's say, and they go out right before dark when nobody is out there, play a couple of holes, leave everything as it was (replace divots, rake bunkers, fix ball marks)?  That is stealing on the same level that using a McDonalds bathroom or play area without making a purchase is stealing.

I agree with your last line. But, whether you leave the course in the same way you found it or not, it's still trespassing - just as it is if you were to come in to someone's unlocked house without permission, even if you took nothing and didn't leave any evidence of being there. Going into a public bathroom without making a purchase may be against store policy but it's not trespassing nor illegal in any other way that I know of.

Bill

I have jumped on courses all the time. it really is not a big deal, if your only going to go out and play 9 or fewer holes why should you have to pay the 18 hole price. i just go start on the 2nd or 3rd hole and just jump around. im sure no one has gone to jail for sneaking on a golf course and playing a few holes.

Driver- Titleist 910 D2 RIP 60 S- shaft

3 wood- Taylormade RBZ S shaft

Hybrid- Taylormade superfast 2.0 S shaft

Irons- Titleist AP2 712 DG- S300

Wedges- titleist vokey sm4

Putter- SC Fast Back

Originally Posted by DFerlmann

I have jumped on courses all the time. it really is not a big deal, if your only going to go out and play 9 or fewer holes why should you have to pay the 18 hole price. i just go start on the 2nd or 3rd hole and just jump around. im sure no one has gone to jail for sneaking on a golf course and playing a few holes.

Then you're a thief.  It's just that simple.  And no course I ever played required you to pay the 18 hole fee when only playing 9.

• Upvote 1

Rick

If he's a thief, then send me to jail because I sneak on courses all the time. We have a premier course called Weaver Ridge, it's got a dining hall, ball room, and just beautiful course. The amount of times I have sneaked onto that course is ridiculous. It beats paying $50 to go play.

Driver: Undecided..Someone help me decide
Fast 12 3 Wood 15* Stiff Shaft
A12 3 Hybrid 19* Stiff Shaft
CB Blade Irons (4-7) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
MB Blade Irons (8-PW) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
SM4 52* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 56* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 60* Oil Cal Wedge - Wedge Flex
2010 California Series - Monterey - 35'

I've never snuck on a golf course and dont ever plan to. Im also the guy who has his receipt ready before the marshall can stop his cart to ask. Golf is expensive yes but no one is forcing you to play.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by jcollins120

If he's a thief, then send me to jail because I sneak on courses all the time. We have a premier course called Weaver Ridge, it's got a dining hall, ball room, and just beautiful course. The amount of times I have sneaked onto that course is ridiculous. It beats paying $50 to go play.

You said it, not me.  But I agree with your assessment.  It's no different than shoplifting.  You are stealing a product that honest people are paying for.  It absolutely baffles me that your morals are so skewed that you can't see the wrongness of it.

Rick

I'm pretty sure I have good morals and I don't need you judging me just based off sneaking onto a course to play a little golf. I'm sure you've done some far worse things in your life and im sorry that my poor sense of judgement "baffles" you.

Driver: Undecided..Someone help me decide
Fast 12 3 Wood 15* Stiff Shaft
A12 3 Hybrid 19* Stiff Shaft
CB Blade Irons (4-7) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
MB Blade Irons (8-PW) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
SM4 52* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 56* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 60* Oil Cal Wedge - Wedge Flex
2010 California Series - Monterey - 35'

Note: This thread is 3354 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!