IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by te3point5

The cattle rancher looks like a yound DL3 to me. I like the money concept. I think Shank's southern one-liners are gonna be hilarious all season (if he stays on)

"Yankee Doodle went to town, riding on his Wedge".   Yee-haw.  Now go light a bucket of range balls on fire, and run over your dog in the mother golf range tractor.

A few observations from the first episode:

Is Justin going to be the next Brian?  Remember the guy from last season who constantly talked about how incredible his swing was, but then always played horribly for some reason or another?  Was his name Brian?  Well, the guy from Texas (I think) named Justin (I think) showed up and started talking about how he can shoot the course record anytime he steps on a golf course.  Then he misses his approach shot and I think he missed his drive challenge too, right?  Anyway, he annoys me, but I think he might end up being great entertainment.  On the flip side, he does appear to have a nice looking swing.

Nobody else annoys me quite yet except maybe the tall Canadian, but he seems good.  I'm hoping that the 'Trapper doesn't spend every moment talking up the fact that he is a Marine, because that can get annoying pretty fast.  I'm sure a lot of it is editing, as the show wants people to identify each person with only one character trait (i.e., the Tin Cup guy, the guy from the Caribbean with a tough upbringing, the Marine, etc), but I want people to advance because of their golf, and not because of what kind of person they are.  Flame me for it all you want, but if he wasn't a 'Trapper I'd be compelled to say it, so I said it.

Agree that the Israeli guy had an odd looking swing, but some guys on tour do as well, so I won't judge him by that.  I was sad to see the first guy leave, as I thought he had a good swing.  It just goes to show that being macho doesn't do yourself any good sometimes.  His pride compelled him to choose what appears to be the longest guy there for his driving challenge competitor, and assured himself a place in the elimination round.  Pretty stupid move.

Will is the guy with the cross-hand grip.  I've never seen that before.  Weird.

The most disturbing aspect of the format is the fact that a person with a stroke advantage can purchase more of an advantage.  Does that mean as guys compile lots of cash later in the season, they could potentially flush their pride down the drain and purchase 2-3 strokes with $10k and ensure themselves a place in the final?  Probably not, but I don't like the idea regardless.

Brandon

• Upvote 2

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Will is the guy with the cross-hand grip.  I've never seen that before.  Weird.

If you'll look back to one of the earlier seasons they had a guy who did that exact same thing.  Def weird but...whatever works, I guess.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'm hoping that the 'Trapper doesn't spend every moment talking up the fact that he is a Marine, because that can get annoying pretty fast.  I'm sure a lot of it is editing, as the show wants people to identify each person with only one character trait (i.e., the Tin Cup guy, the guy from the Caribbean with a tough upbringing, the Marine, etc), but I want people to advance because of their golf, and not because of what kind of person they are.  Flame me for it all you want, but if he wasn't a 'Trapper I'd be compelled to say it, so I said it.

Brandon

Totally agree. Gets annoying very fast.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

If you'll look back to one of the earlier seasons they had a guy who did that exact same thing.  Def weird but...whatever works, I guess.

yea I think they try to pick a guy or two that has a weird grip for the show. From what Ive seen there arent any guys who could make it pretty good on the pga tour like tommy two gloves but its early. The guy from Israel has got a nasty swing and whats up with that one guy who picked the Remax Long Drive guy to compete against for the Long drive challenge, he deserved to go home for that. Remax guy takes an easy swing and hits a straight 330 drive, haha

Well, I'm pulling for Russell.  I think it's good to know the backgrounds but I believe all that will fade away as the weeks progress.  I think the meek kid whose momma worked seven jobs or whatever may be the sleeper.

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

Hmmm seems as though my post was deleted...

Let me try and put it in a little bit more golf friendly way: I think that most of the contestants are way over the top, whether that is due to the producer's direction or just them. I especially can't stand the Marine with all of his "Huff and Puff" and then duck hooking his drive during the long drive challenge. We get it your big and bad...why dont you just chill or at least bring some game.

Whats in my bagboy.gifcallaway.gif FT-9 I-Mix Head on UST V2, callaway.gif Diablo 3 Wood, adams.gif A7 #3 and #4 Hybrid, adams.gif A7 5 - PW, cleveland.gif CG15 - 52, 56, 60, rife.gif Abaco

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

What are the benefits of this type of grip, does anybody know?  I almost feel like I would lose a lot of power in my swing if I switched to that.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Oh it's a long drive challenge gee let me think.... I'll take on the ex long drive guy. That guy should have started off down 3 for making the worst competitor pick ever.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I knew Shank when I was in college. The guy can play, I just hope his temper doesn't get the best of him. He'll be a blast to watch while he's there though, he's a seriously funny guy

• Administrator

Originally Posted by dmilt23451

Hmmm seems as though my post was deleted...

Yep. Several users reported it as rude. It was.

Originally Posted by dmilt23451

Let me try and put it in a little bit more golf friendly way: I think that most of the contestants are way over the top, whether that is due to the producer's direction or just them. I especially can't stand the Marine with all of his "Huff and Puff" and then duck hooking his drive during the long drive challenge. We get it your big and bad...why dont you just chill or at least bring some game.

I'm hoping "the Marine" responds to you personally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does anyone out there in TST land know why a half shot was given with an opportunity to buy another half shot?  I guess it didn't make a difference this time but could and I'm not sure how or why the half shot advantage for one player was awarded.

Originally Posted by saevel25

does anybody get there point system yet, using the money values? I am confused, as well as why that one guy got half a stroike in the elimination match.

Butch

ghalfaire (the Quote option isn't working right now for me) asked: Does anyone out there in TST land know why a half shot was given with an opportunity to buy another half shot?  I guess it didn't make a difference this time but could and I'm not sure how or why the half shot advantage for one player was awarded.

Oren got the half shot because had more money going into the elimination challenge. No reason was offered as to why he was given the chance to buy another half shot, but I think it was a try at adding more drama to the challenge, which Big Break likes to do.

Originally Posted by iacas

I doubt he can talk about the show on forums besides promote it but what do I know Ive never been on a competitive television show.

Originally Posted by iacas

Yep. Several users reported it as rude. It was.

Iacas, thanks for the support... I really do wish I could comment on anything you guys have seen on the show but I can't... The one thing I will say is if Dmilt wants to meet on the course one day and play for whatever he wants I am game... Just saying...

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

As long as we have a translator to let us know what he's saying.

I think it's funnier not having a translator. As they were going to commercial the other day, he made some weird comment, and another guy said "What did you just say???" Thought that was hilarious.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

Originally Posted by normdamarine

Iacas, thanks for the support... I really do wish I could comment on anything you guys have seen on the show but I can't... The one thing I will say is if Dmilt wants to meet on the course one day and play for whatever he wants I am game... Just saying...

Must be weird seeing yourself on TV. Can you at least tell us which people were a jerk in real life? Its tough to see the full picture with so much editing and cutting done on a show.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!