IGNORED

The face palm thread.

BostonSully
Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

some of you cant tell the difference between a 6 and a 9 just from looking at it at address?

i keep a set of extra clubs in my closet and will at times pull one out without looking at the bottom and try to see if i can tell what it is.  more often than not i can tell what it is.  always within a club tho.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's more about being distracted and not paying close enough attention.  I think I've done it once before (can't recall) or maybe somebody in my group did.  The main culprit is because they're talking to their group mates while pulling out their club and then just stepping up and swinging.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I was playing a solo round today, and came up behind a pair who invited me to join up with them.  A couple holes later at the tee, one of the guys -- Attempting to compliment my swing, misspoke this gem that we heckled him about until the end of the round:  "Lefties always swing so much more gracefully than white people."

• Upvote 2

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

Playing on a course new to me, I aim my second shot at the green, sort of an odd shot over some rough and brush, make it to my delight, and then my partner goes WTF, it's a dogleg right! Wrong green! Since we had a team bet going, I had to go over there, move it off the green and hit it back to the right fairway. Bye bye to a birdie putt, hello to getting on in four. Think I took a six.

Hit my drive perfect, slight draw into a short Par 5. Second shot, head down, knees bent, thoughts of the smile my 13 year old self would have on his face when I smash my 3 iron at the green, head back down, set up, and then swing faster than I'd ever swung before - shank. Shank it into the water about 5 meters in front of me - my Dad even had a little chuckle at my misfortune. I drop a second and hit it so hard, and with such a slice that it disappears over a little rise beside the green - and rolls into the water beside the adjoining Par 3 green.

Then, on my last shot with nothing to lose, I set up and hit the ball and it bloody lands in the hole. I hear screams from the guys around the green who thought it was my first approach, thinking that a kid had just hit his second in from a fair way out.

Got paired up with probably the biggest jerk I've ever played with this weekend.

On a par4 I chip my 4th shot on to about 5ft and this guy picks it up and throws it back to me. I "whats his problem".....

I have a par putt on a par 4 from about 45 feet, its rolling about 8ft past the hole and he STOPS IT!!!!

I hit a shot over the water on a 200yd par 3, its not a great hit and is slicing pretty bad but I see it land and bounce up onto the next tee which was close to the green. He insists I went in the water and that I had to hit another one. I said I saw it and talks smack to me "Yeah what'd it bounce on the waves its in the water kid". I drive up and theres my ball on the next tee and I ....

I could just keep going on with about this guy but I think the biggest facepalm of all was when we hit the turn. The person riding with him was another single that got paired up with me my friend and the jerk(who was a single).. The non-jerk single was only playing nine and says goodbye to me and my friend and starts to walk away. Just at this time a group of 10-13 year old girls who were just riding around on carts (im assuming daughters of the pro and her friends) is driving by. The jerk thumbs them down (awkward) then he says "Drive me to the clubhouse to get a beer" even though he was already in a cart.

He then see's his playing partner walking to the parking lot and says "Where you going?" the kid informs him he is leaving and the guy on a cart with 10 year old girls yells out "Ok you Kitty(But he didnt say kitty)"

HUGE

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Originally Posted by BostonSully

Got paired up with probably the biggest jerk I've ever played with this weekend.

On a par4 I chip my 4th shot on to about 5ft and this guy picks it up and throws it back to me. I "whats his problem".....

I have a par putt on a par 4 from about 45 feet, its rolling about 8ft past the hole and he STOPS IT!!!!

I hit a shot over the water on a 200yd par 3, its not a great hit and is slicing pretty bad but I see it land and bounce up onto the next tee which was close to the green. He insists I went in the water and that I had to hit another one. I said I saw it and talks smack to me "Yeah what'd it bounce on the waves its in the water kid". I drive up and theres my ball on the next tee and I ....

I could just keep going on with about this guy but I think the biggest facepalm of all was when we hit the turn. The person riding with him was another single that got paired up with me my friend and the jerk(who was a single).. The non-jerk single was only playing nine and says goodbye to me and my friend and starts to walk away. Just at this time a group of 10-13 year old girls who were just riding around on carts (im assuming daughters of the pro and her friends) is driving by. The jerk thumbs them down (awkward) then he says "Drive me to the clubhouse to get a beer" even though he was already in a cart.

He then see's his playing partner walking to the parking lot and says "Where you going?" the kid informs him he is leaving and the guy on a cart with 10 year old girls yells out "Ok you Kitty(But he didnt say kitty)"

HUGE

Um, yeah, sorry about that.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Um, yeah, sorry about that.

Haha wasn't you... RIGHT?? No need to apologize for him haha. Best part was when I went to get a beer and the Pro in the shop goes "You playing with him" I just kind of grunt and he rolls his eyes and we start dying laughing.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

LOL.  Wow.  They do let everyone play LOL

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Was at a local golf store (great owner and staff) on Tuesday browsing and noticed a guy was testing the Titleist 910D3.  From across the store I could see his swing wasn't very good, and could hear the owner telling him that the swing analyzer was showing his swing speed was too slow for the stiff shaft and he was slicing badly.  He took a few more swings with similar results, the owner offered to modify the hosel adjustments to see if he could at least reduce the slice, guy said "nope, I'll take it".  Walked out of the simulator, grabbed a new club off the rack and started walking to the register.  The owner again offered to make some adjustments for him to do some more test swings with it and reminded him that once he takes it out and hits with it, he can't take it back as new.  Guy said he was good, started to walk towards the register to pay for it, I looked back at the owner who was

He walked out with a Titleist.  Now how bad can that really be?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

The only thing I remember is finding a nice used driver a few years ago at Golfsmith.  I went to try it out, hit it great and thought, "Heck.  I might buy this thing."  Hit one more and topped the snot out of it.  Left a quarter sized dimple on the bottom of it.  Put it back on the rack.  Walked out of the store SLOWLY. Not a great moment in my life....

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by colin007

some of you cant tell the difference between a 6 and a 9 just from looking at it at address?

i keep a set of extra clubs in my closet and will at times pull one out without looking at the bottom and try to see if i can tell what it is.  more often than not i can tell what it is.  always within a club tho.

I can usually just grab the club and tell which one it is by the way the grip feels and the swingweight.  I just look at it to see if I'm right.  It's something anyone can do, it just takes experience that a lot of people don't have.

[ Equipment ]

Had a face palm round yesterday.

Booked twilight 18 for 4:40pm, arrived at 4:15 and were told they are behind time. Teed off at 5:10...( frustrating ).

Get to the second hole, already waiting on a group 2 tee times ahead. Young guys in all the latest gear ( gym junkies....ie. jacked arms etc, but tiny little legs ) teeing off from the blue. First guy misses the ball, pretends it was a practice swing, then tops his ball about 20 yards, second guy hits a low slice across the other fairway and out of bounds, third guy tops his ball about 40 yards, 4th guy hits his as hard as he can but slices way over to the other fairway.

They then duff their way up the 150 yard marker already having hit it 3 or 4 times - one guy is still looking for his ball yet to hit his second.....anyway we finally get through, and have to wait at a Par 3 next hole again and watch them tee off from the blues. 190 yard par 3.....topped ball, topped ball, shank, huge slice.....face palm

Next hole we miss them tee off but the group in front informs us it wasn't any better and they all hit a second one. Marchall drives by and we ask him if they could maybe tee off from the whites or skip a hole or let us through. He says he'll talk to them, but drives right past them.

We grind through 9 holes waiting 10 minutes per tee....finish the round in 3 hours....3 hours....so we go in, get our $8 and complain to the management about the situation and he pretty much tells us he doesn't care.

Will NEVER golf this course again.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

^^^^ Brutal

I had to facepalm yesterday. Went to a course I had never played before and the starter gives us like a 15 minute breakdown of the course basically saying dont miss left on the first 4 and dont miss right on the last 5.

He then asks if we ever played golf before and we told him we play alot and we were playing the blues. This is like a deathmark because of course both of us chunk the shot all of 15yds ona 150yd par 3 and

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Marchall drives by and we ask him if they could maybe tee off from the whites or skip a hole or let us through. He says he'll talk to them, but drives right past them.

He was, no doubt, intimidated by their muscles.

Brandon

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The biggest face palm happened in high school during one of my matches. It rained the previous night, so all bunkers were considered ground under repair, so if we hit a shot into the bunker, we would pull it out and place it no closer to the hole. There is this par five that was beating me up. It was a horrible hole for me. I got stuck in the forest on the right side of the fairway. Eventually I somehow skipped it across the water to get to a green side bunker. I pulled it out, placed it and hit in right into the bunker again, then did the same thing again, then another, then finally get it to the green. Then I calmly one putted for a 10 for a 20 footer. haha

"drive for show, putt for dough"

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Had a face palm round yesterday.

Booked twilight 18 for 4:40pm, arrived at 4:15 and were told they are behind time. Teed off at 5:10...( frustrating ).

Get to the second hole, already waiting on a group 2 tee times ahead. Young guys in all the latest gear ( gym junkies....ie. jacked arms etc, but tiny little legs ) teeing off from the blue. First guy misses the ball, pretends it was a practice swing, then tops his ball about 20 yards, second guy hits a low slice across the other fairway and out of bounds, third guy tops his ball about 40 yards, 4th guy hits his as hard as he can but slices way over to the other fairway.

They then duff their way up the 150 yard marker already having hit it 3 or 4 times - one guy is still looking for his ball yet to hit his second.....anyway we finally get through, and have to wait at a Par 3 next hole again and watch them tee off from the blues. 190 yard par 3.....topped ball, topped ball, shank, huge slice.....face palm

Next hole we miss them tee off but the group in front informs us it wasn't any better and they all hit a second one. Marchall drives by and we ask him if they could maybe tee off from the whites or skip a hole or let us through. He says he'll talk to them, but drives right past them.

We grind through 9 holes waiting 10 minutes per tee....finish the round in 3 hours....3 hours....so we go in, get our $8 and complain to the management about the situation and he pretty much tells us he doesn't care.

Will NEVER golf this course again.

If I didn't know any better, I would have said you must have been playing a particular course in my area.  I used to be a member at a course that was on my way to and from work.  During the summer, I would leave at the crack of dawn and get 9 holes in before work.  On the way home, I would get another 9 holes in if the course didn't look busy.  It was great!  On weekends though, I had to get out to the course before sunrise in order to tee off before the place got slammed.  I would literally play the first two holes in the dark.  If you waited until 7:45 or 8:00 to play on a weekend, there would be 4 or 5 foursomes on the first tee waiting.  Years later, the course was hurting for money, so they lowered their rates and would stack tee times 5 minutes apart.  My golf league tried to schedule a couple of nights there, and despite getting tee times at 5:45 to play 9 holes, the play was so slow that we could not finish NINE holes before dark!!!

Never at another course did I ever see so much "Hero Golf".  Hero Golf is a term I give to people who hit a drive maybe 180 yards into the rough on a par 5 and then wait for the group ahead to clear the green so they can go for it in two.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Ok... mine isn't shot related but was one HUGE face palm!!!!!

It was 97 degrees out last night and I had just finished my 2nd Gatorade pulling up to the 7th tee box. Low and behold the cart girl comes around the corner as we get there. I flag her down, get my wallet out of the top pocket on my bag, which I have to loosen the cart strap to get at, stupid TM Catilina bag. First off, the cart girl is about 5'10" and absolutely stunningly beautiful and with the hot weather the shorts were real short.... not going to lie I was distracted. I pay her the $2.50 for the bottle, tip her a $1.50 and put my wallet in the bag. My group tees off and I drive to hit my second shot. I hit that one just off the green on the fringe, looking at possible birdie or par. Hop in the cart hit the gas and I hear the wonderful sound of my bag hitting the ground as I drive away. Well, I stop the cart, get out and grab my bag, put the bag in tightening the strap this time... then I notice lying on the ground behind the cart about 12" of shaft and the head to my 4 week old TaylorMade Superfast 2.0 driver...... Yep.... HUGE face palm..... Then I had to explain to my wife what happened. To her I left out how hot the cart girl is.....

Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!