IGNORED

The face palm thread.

BostonSully
Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Share your on course face palm moments. Anything from duckhooks and skulled balls into a water  hazard to absolutely ridiculous on course interactions that just left you with nothing else to do but

• Upvote 1
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I played with a buddy the other week and we got paired with these 2 stoners. One of them duck hooked his ball into some trees and we all were looking for it and my friend found a ball and asked "Are you playing a Pinnacle?" and the guy responds "No, I'm playing a Pinnacle"....moment of silence, then his friend tells him he's an idiot. Facepalm . He then proceeds to try and dig this ball out form under a tree, and after 4 or 5 hacks at it, gets it out a couple feet. Then tops the next shot back into the trees. Facepalm 2

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

From my last few rounds Ive got a few.

On the 3rd hole last night I popped a drive about 100 yards straight upwards about 30 yards right and 25 yards forward. There was a group of middle aged women playing in the next fairway and this thing was coming right for them. I yelled fore about the loudest I have ever yelled anything and not a single one of them even ducked. I yelled so loud people at the clubhouse ran for cover I saw a guy three fairways over not even in the direction the ball was going hit the deck. Yet these women stand there and one of them continues lining up her approach and the other three chat nicely.

My friend starts screaming DUCK DUCK DUCK and then boom ball lands about 3-4ft behind the women lining her shot up and my heart fell out right onto the Tee. I yelled sorry and got a very polite "thats ok!", I turned around and .

--

We were playing a par 4 with a parallel fairway next to it. We drove up to find my ball in the middle of the fairway clearly visible from the other holes Tee. Normally people hit from that tee even though our fairway is dangerously close which is fine as long as if you see the ball slicing at all you yell fore.

We turn to drive back to our other ball when a drive SLAMS the plexi glass windshield of the Cart. The guys on the other tee could very easily see us and not a one yelled fore. If we didnt have that glass up one of us woulda got smoked right in the kisser. We stopped and waited for this guy to come get his ball so we could give him a ribbing, we werent fuming angry but were pretty annoyed.

When this guy rolled up and went to play his ball that wound up right next to mine after hitting us in our cart we gave him a "That was close buddy, that was too close" and he COMPLETELY ignored us. So I raised my voice a bit and I was like "You know that couldve EASILY hitten us we woulda given you a courtesy Fore, its what your Supposed to DO" Again he acted as if he couldnt hear us at all and duffed his ball 50 yards back into his fairway. I  just yelled "FORE!" after he hit it and he still blatantly ignored us, both of us proceeded to .

--

After those two stories I wonder if Im accidentally playing at an all deaf course lol!

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

• Administrator

I don't have a story but I'm glad I finally get to use this one:

1007.FACEPALM_5F00_wrong.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saturday morning. Par 4. Teeing off with my 3W:

"You sure you want to tee off with that? You normally push it"

"It'll be fine"

"OK"

*the biggest slice OOB I've ever hit in my life*

"Haha Told you not to use that"

*partner tees off with his driver and hooks it OOB*

"Hahaha. You're as bad as me. Let's try again shall we?"

*the biggest hook OOB I've ever hit*

"Hah! Idiot. Twice now you've f***ed up on this tee. Off for 5 already! hahaha"

*partner tees off and slices his driver OOB*

Worst. hole. ever!

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Was at a local golf store (great owner and staff) on Tuesday browsing and noticed a guy was testing the Titleist 910D3.  From across the store I could see his swing wasn't very good, and could hear the owner telling him that the swing analyzer was showing his swing speed was too slow for the stiff shaft and he was slicing badly.  He took a few more swings with similar results, the owner offered to modify the hosel adjustments to see if he could at least reduce the slice, guy said "nope, I'll take it".  Walked out of the simulator, grabbed a new club off the rack and started walking to the register.  The owner again offered to make some adjustments for him to do some more test swings with it and reminded him that once he takes it out and hits with it, he can't take it back as new.  Guy said he was good, started to walk towards the register to pay for it, I looked back at the owner who was d2_doh.gif

Joe Paradiso

Oh perfect thread to share my last outting woes.

Approach shot landed short of the green uphill to the pin. I hit the ball on my practice swing, the ball jets to the right leaving me a downhill lie, short sided, in the rough to the pin. Took a double when a par was in the bag.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Was at a local golf store (great owner and staff) on Tuesday browsing and noticed a guy was testing the Titleist 910D3.  From across the store I could see his swing wasn't very good, and could hear the owner telling him that the swing analyzer was showing his swing speed was too slow for the stiff shaft and he was slicing badly.  He took a few more swings with similar results, the owner offered to modify the hosel adjustments to see if he could at least reduce the slice, guy said "nope, I'll take it".  Walked out of the simulator, grabbed a new club off the rack and started walking to the register.  The owner again offered to make some adjustments for him to do some more test swings with it and reminded him that once he takes it out and hits with it, he can't take it back as new.  Guy said he was good, started to walk towards the register to pay for it, I looked back at the owner who was

Reminds me of a time recently where I was waiting in line to test some drivers out. There was a guy who was swinging an Adams Speedline Fast 10 ( stiff shaft ). He was swinging around 85mph and the clerk was suggesting a regular or senior flex to try out. The guy was adamant he needed a stiff shaft and started swinging out of his boots to get it to around 91MPH, still needing a regular shaft the clerk suggest again but the guy says "no this is fine" and he purchased the driver.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It's more like a multiple face palm...  I did the Tin Cup and put 4 balls in the same lake.

My buddies in the group ahead that saw it, left their used balls in the next hole for me...

Hahaha. I've got a doozy from a couple of weeks ago. Playing down the 18th at my home course. Friendly shortish par 5, but has a creek that cuts across landing area and then doubles back the other way to guard the front of the green and drain into a pond between the right side and the clubhouse balcony. I can't hack the carry off the back tees, so it's a three shotter for me but usually an easy par. Hit a punch driver, then a 4 hybrid to 95 yards out. Thinking easy sand wedge to the left middle away from the drink and a leave a flat putt for bird. Too easy -- dead shank. The ball screams off at about 8 feet of altitude, straight for the clubhouse bar windows. In the frozen seconds that I realize what's probably going to happen next  -- I also notice that our director of golf, head pro and club captain are sitting out there having coffee and (no doubt) discussing weighty issues. The ball goes over their heads and pins one of the four-inch metal pillars that support the roof over balcony dead square, ringing it like a ****ing gong -- BOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG -- before rebounding back out to splash down into the pond.

I then have to walk over there while they all practically fall off their chairs laughing, drop and play a tricky pitch over the water, being heavily heckled all the while. Under the circumstances, getting up and down definitely felt like a moral victory!

• Upvote 2

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

This reminds me of a round I played last year at either Poppy Hills or some other nice course with a nice clubhouse at the turn.

I hit a slice with my approach shot to the 9th green from well back with my 3wood.  It lands about 10 yards right and over the green, but hits the cart path, adding wicked bounce and even more spin away from the green and towards the landscaping protecting the clubhouse (big bushes, a fountain, flowerbed, etc.).

I eventually found my ball in the flowerbed.  However, some painters outside the clubhouse informed me that my ball cleared all of the landscaping, took another hop on the concrete porch area and hit one of the 5-inch wood panels between the window panes (covering about 75% of that side of the clubhouse) dead center, before ricocheting back into the landscaping/gardening.

I was embarrassed but relieved at the same time knowing that I didn't have to pay for any damages :)

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Stretch

Hahaha. I've got a doozy from a couple of weeks ago. Playing down the 18th at my home course. Friendly shortish par 5, but has a creek that cuts across landing area and then doubles back the other way to guard the front of the green and drain into a pond between the right side and the clubhouse balcony. I can't hack the carry off the back tees, so it's a three shotter for me but usually an easy par. Hit a punch driver, then a 4 hybrid to 95 yards out. Thinking easy sand wedge to the left middle away from the drink and a leave a flat putt for bird. Too easy -- dead shank. The ball screams off at about 8 feet of altitude, straight for the clubhouse bar windows. In the frozen seconds that I realize what's probably going to happen next  -- I also notice that our director of golf, head pro and club captain are sitting out there having coffee and (no doubt) discussing weighty issues. The ball goes over their heads and pins one of the four-inch metal pillars that support the roof over balcony dead square, ringing it like a ****ing gong -- BOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG -- before rebounding back out to splash down into the pond.

I then have to walk over there while they all practically fall off their chairs laughing, drop and play a tricky pitch over the water, being heavily heckled all the while. Under the circumstances, getting up and down definitely felt like a moral victory!

lol, sounds a bit like my story... except I don't remember if I got up and down.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

A few weeks ago I hit to the wrong Pin on a double green. I really need glasses from a distance so my depth perception was a little off. Though I hit it stiff, I was left with a 100+ foot put to the green

Originally Posted by Cut68

A few weeks ago I hit to the wrong Pin on a double green. I really need glasses from a distance so my depth perception was a little off. Though I hit it stiff, I was left with a 100+ foot put to the green

lol. I had one worse a few weeks ago I was playing anew course with a buddy of mine. It was built into old cranberry bogs and was confusing just getting around. We also drank a 750ml of Dr. McGillicuddy. On a par 4 we literally couldnt tell which green we were suppose to hit to so I hit my drive at the one I thought it was... Turns out I was wrong and had to hit like a 220yd second shot on a 315 yard par 4. I

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I hit the ball on my practice swing...

You should have replaced the ball and played from there.  A stroke, in the rules of golf, is defined as follows:

Stroke: A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

You didn't intend to move the ball, nor had you addressed the ball (I'm assuming based on the fact that you said it was a practice swing).

Next time... should that occur... you know.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Originally Posted by Fairway_CY

You should have replaced the ball and played from there.  A stroke, in the rules of golf, is defined as follows:

Stroke: A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

You didn't intend to move the ball, nor had you addressed the ball (I'm assuming based on the fact that you said it was a practice swing).

Next time... should that occur... you know.

CY

While that's the correct definition of a stroke, what's relevant here is that the player caused the ball to move, whether by a stroke or not. But yes, the correct procedure is to replace the ball, with a one stroke penalty.

(The only time it would matter whether it was a stroke or not would be if the ball was not in play - e.g., on the tee.)

Bill

Ooops... you're absolutely correct.  I forgot the penalty stroke.  Good catch!

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

While that's the correct definition of a stroke, what's relevant here is that the player caused the ball to move, whether by a stroke or not. But yes, the correct procedure is to replace the ball, with a one stroke penalty.

(The only time it would matter whether it was a stroke or not would be if the ball was not in play - e.g., on the tee.)

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Note: This thread is 4678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!