IGNORED

S&T straight right leg at backwing or not .....

Note: This thread is 4692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the purpose of the straight right leg in the backswing at S&T; ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

To let the hips turn at an inclined plane and turn enough. http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/34692/straightening-the-right-knee-on-the-backswing

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

straightening of the right leg (for a righty) in the backswing, enables your hips to turn on an inclined plane that is parallel to shoulder inclined plane turn. Straightening of the right leg also enables greater hip and shoulder turn. Also, straightening of the right leg allows you to lean into the left side at the top of the backswing (shifts weight forward) and pushing off the right instep and straightening the right leg in the forward swing gets the hips more forward and up.
  • Upvote 1

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Key point in the above posts is the straighten ing of the rear leg, not making the rear leg absolutely straight.

The rear leg should never be absolutely straight.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

It straightens in every swing at least a little.  This isn't just a stack and tilt thing.  If the hips turn, the leg straightens.  It is a common misconception among teachers.  They all advocate maintaining the flex, and this is impossible to do and turn the hips.

Brian

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Key point in the above posts is the straightening of the rear leg, not making the rear leg absolutely straight.

That is a very slight difference, but I would say "almost" absolutely straight, as it woul look a bit clumsy (or you might even hurt yourself) coming back from an absolutely straight leg......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

Key point in the above posts is the straighten ing of the rear leg, not making the rear leg absolutely straight.

That is a very slight difference, but I would say "almost" absolutely straight, as it woul look a bit clumsy (or you might even heart yourself) coming back from an absolutely straight leg......

I wasn't being picky Gerald; I just know that my mind notices small details so I felt it worth clarifying :)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

lol

Don't be afraid of the straight leg.

right_knee_straight.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The small pictures of the pros posted by by nevets88 are deceiving.  As they rotate the hips, the back leg also rotates to a more "face on" view toward the camera.  From that view, even a bent leg will appear straight.  Had the camera position been moved more to the left, which would then be perpendicular to the back leg, it would appear much more bent.  More of an athletic position, rather than a stiff position.

Not saying that the back leg doesn't straighten, it has to because of the raised hip, but not to the extent that those photos show.

In the second photo they're all pretty straight but not locked straight which would be bad; that's what I was trying to explain.

SWING DNA

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Harmonious

The small pictures of the pros posted by by nevets88 are deceiving.  As they rotate the hips, the back leg also rotates to a more "face on" view toward the camera.  From that view, even a bent leg will appear straight.  Had the camera position been moved more to the left, which would then be perpendicular to the back leg, it would appear much more bent. More of an athletic position, rather than a stiff position.

C'mon... the picture is not deceiving if your IQ has two numbers in it. There's no doubt whatsoever that the rear leg is "less flexed" or "straighter" at the top of the backswing. The decrease in flex is what allows the hips to turn. Are the knees slightly more bent than a pure measurement of the photo? Yes. Are they retaining the same flex as setup? No. Harmonious, you know this, and you'd do well to stop putting words in people's mouths in trying to make your case.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Where's Harmnoius's swing video?

For a guy who says he hates hearing about and talking about S&T; he sure does have to poop on the party often enough. Hey bud, just ignore it if you don't want to talk about it.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

The small pictures of the pros posted by by nevets88 are deceiving.  As they rotate the hips, the back leg also rotates to a more "face on" view toward the camera.  From that view, even a bent leg will appear straight.  Had the camera position been moved more to the left, which would then be perpendicular to the back leg, it would appear much more bent.  More of an athletic position, rather than a stiff position.

Not saying that the back leg doesn't straighten, it has to because of the raised hip, but not to the extent that those photos show.

Pick your battles Harmonious. If someone wants to incorporate a straighter right leg than you would in your swing, that's a problem how?  People say the current players are better (especially when trashing the driving distances and general career accomplisments of Jack, Sam, Ben, Byron, etc), so take a look at some of the current top players and make up your own mind.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Pick your battles Harmonious. If someone wants to incorporate a straighter right leg than you would in your swing, that's a problem how?  People say the current players are better (especially when trashing the driving distances and general career accomplisments of Jack, Sam, Ben, Byron, etc), so take a look at some of the current top players and make up your own mind.

If you do you'll see everyone except Paul Casey and Anthony Kim straightening (not STRAIGHT) the flex in their back leg during the backswing.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

If you do you'll see everyone except Paul Casey and Anthony Kim straightening (not STRAIGHT) the flex in their back leg during the backswing.

Exactly. Not S&T; straight necessarily, (McIlroy, Day, Yang, Stricker, etc as examples) but definitely straight er .

EDIT: It might be beneficial to know what club people are using in the photos as well. My wedge swing would have more tilt and a straighter back leg than my 3-iron or driver swing for example. Right or wrong, it is what it is.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

How about Payne Stewart, not SnT, moves off the ball, straight back leg. [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYe_0by8Co[/video]

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by nevets88

How about Payne Stewart, not SnT, moves off the ball, straight back leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYe_0by8Co

It's hard to ague with that. Mostly because that 4 second practice swing doesn't really illustrate much of anything.

Note: This thread is 4692 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!