IGNORED

Which ball to go for?

Note: This thread is 4689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so after doing lots of searching I cant seem to find what im looking for with regards to info on the net...

Im just getting back in to golf after quite a long break. I play perhaps 10 times a year now but previous to that I played off a 9 handicap. In my prime I used to play a Pro V1 but looking to try something else this time around with perhaps the same amount of control on the green but more forgiving off the tee... is there even such a ball?!

I have been playing with the Bridgestone E7 but thats too hard and absolutely no stop on the greens. Cant seem to find a ball description that would meet my requirements. My birthday is coming up and I have sent the girlfriend off out to get me some balls, of which i have chosen (from a rough internet search this morning) the Bridgestone B330 or B330-s. Would you recommend these? From what I gather the RX's are the same as the Pro V1's?

Thanks in advance!

There is no ball that is the same as a Pro V1 - everyone wants to be like the leader.

There may be a ball that is better for you, but you are not getting a Pro V1 when you buy another ball.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And in another, more accurate sense almost all top level urethane balls are extremely similar to a Pro V1.

Also, E7s don't spin a bunch, but they still spin.  If you're getting "absolutely no stop on the greens" you'll need to focus on technique at least as much as ball selection.

Originally Posted by meenman

There is no ball that is the same as a Pro V1 - everyone wants to be like the leader.

There may be a ball that is better for you, but you are not getting a Pro V1 when you buy another ball.

Totally understand what you are saying and it is an amazing ball but require something a little more forgiving at the moment... Slightly firmer, any suggestions?

A popular pick is the Top Flite Gamer V2. Surlyn cover, but pretty good around the greens and plenty long. The Bridgestone e5 is only a 2-piece ball, but it's got a urethane cover, so it should be plenty soft. The Bridgestone Tour B330-RX and B330-RXS are more expensive, but they also offer greater performance around the greens than the others.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To me prov1 black is the best all around ball. However the srixon soft feel and ad333 offer decent performance on a budget.. I especially like putting with the soft feel.

Founder/President, AroGolf Premium Milled Putters
Titleist 983K 9.5 / Adams Insight 3W / Rotation of hybrids/long irons
Ping i3 Blades White Dot 5-PW / Ping Tour Wedges Green Dot 52, 58
AroGolf iON1 FB BLACK mil-spec putter

It may partly depend on what kind of courses you play the most and where you live.  If you play hard fast greens all year round, then I would think a premium ball would be a must.  I live in WA and only "need" the TM Reds I use about three months of the season; the rest of the year a good three piece ball and even two piece in the winter, will serve just fine.  With so many good balls on the market, it is hard to tell someone what will work for them.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I love my B330-RX and RXS's.. good spin and not too much ball for me. =P

Buy used balls and test them out.

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Quote:

I love my B330-RX and RXS's.. good spin and not too much ball for me. =P

Buy used balls and test them out.

Try the B330-S, don't mind the swingspeeds comments at their website, the B330-S is a bit firmer (more distance) than the RX and spins about the same as the RXS. Recomended swingspeeds are B$#@%$$%^T, Pro's use a wide range of swingspeeds from let's say 30 to 130 mph and amateurs swingspeeds fall also within these boundaries, so what is good for them, is good for us also !!!!

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I played the 2010 b-330 s and really liked them, but wanted to cry when I lost one. Recently switched to the Srixon TriSpeed Tour and really like them. I think they feel good off the driver and can stop them on pretty well. Plus they come in Tour Yellow( if you like that sort of thing).

I-Mix FT-9 9* 906 F2 3WD  15*

Idea Pro Black 20*  MX-300 4-GW

VR 56* & 60* Wedges  White Ice Tour Sabertooth 34"

Ozone Black Pinstripe  FJ Street 

try the srixon yellow

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

Note: This thread is 4689 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!