IGNORED

Does anyone use a 5 wood anymore?

Note: This thread is 3673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had a 3 & 5 wood set up in my bag since I started golfing 18 years ago. No matter what I try as far as a hybrid is concerned, I still can't get that 5 wood out of my bag.

I use it off the tee and off the deck. It is one of my most consistent clubs. I actually fear the 3 wood off the deck to the point I tend to baby my swing and lose it right because I'm always afraid of the pull hook. But with the 5 wood there is no fear to go after it. It goes dead straight for me 220. A mishit with that club is a little thin, which still gets me at worst 185-200 down the fairway. Bottom line is it's always straight. I play a 19 degree TM RBZ with a Fujikura Rombax Type X shaft. It's a beast for me. It's one of those clubs I just have total confidence in.

D:      Titleist 913 D2 (10.5, Stiff, Diamana D+ 62 / Tipped 1/2 inch)

F:      TaylorMade RBZ (15.0, 43 inches & 19.0, 42 inches, Fujikura Rombax Type-X, 75S)

H:      Adams A12 (21 degree, 40 inches, Diamana HY92, Stiff)

I:        Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 5-PW (KBS Tour, X-Flex, Soft Stepped 1x)

GW:   Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 50 (KBS Tour, X-Flex, non-conforming)

SW    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56 (bent one degree strong, KBS Tour, Stiff, non-conforming)

LW:    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 60 (non-conforming, stock shaft)

P1:     Scotty Cameron California Coranado

Well, I'd say my 18* hybrid is a 5 wood for all intents and purposes. Just a shallower back really... My dad hits a 9 wood! HA! J

Kinda agree as far as distance goes... I have a 15 degree 3 wood and a 19 degree 3 hybrid. I also have a 5 wood, but rarely pull it because my hybrid goes just as far (if not further) and is much easier to hit.

• 5 months later...
The demise of the fairway wood is not at hand. It seems like it with the rise of the hybrid, but they are two different beasts. The hybrid is easier to hit than long irons, and easier to hit than fairway woods off the deck. But off the tee my money is on the fairway wood every time just because of mass and volume. And the one traction of greater power. I thnk it is going to take a while for everyone to sort out for themselves I carry a Driver and a 3 y,mWood. I sold my 5 wood because I was longer with my 19 degree hybrid. But I am going to pick up another 5 wood. Either a TM RBZ Stage 2 or Callaway X Hot 2 just out. Why? Because they are longer, much longer than their predecessors. So what is the truth herer. If you know how to hit the lower lofted hybrids 17, 19, etc. you will be around 225 to 250. That's the pro level. You have to compress the ball and do it well. Most of us will need a driver, three wood and maybe a really good five wood plus hybrids, two or three. I think the reason for all of these is because most of us do not have the time to practice enough. If yur busy you need to get up and go play your trusted clubs, yeah, the ones that go far and are easy to hit....

My bag currently has driver, 15* 3-wood, 21* hybrid, 4-SW and a 60* lob.  I have owned a 5w for several years and pulled it when I got both the 49* gap wedge and the 4i.   I recently tried pulling the 4i and replacing it with the 5w because I thought it would be sufficient to hit one of our par 4's off the tee.   What I found was, even though I hit it well, I didn't hit much better than the hybrid and certainly not well enough to justify pulling anything with a higher loft, so I put it back on the shelf and I will likely sell it this year.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Absolutely

4h/24 ~ 210

5w/19 ~225

3w/15 ~ 260

(all Nike VR Pro, Diaman Ahina S shafts on the woods, ProjX 6 on the hybrid (darn) - I think those are 2 generations before the coverts?)

So.....I replaced by 5w with the 2h.  The 5w is great....but the 2h goes the same distance, and works from more lies.....(for me)

It's too bad, I really like how the that 5w looks and feels, especially at address.

Bill - 

I went back to fairways and long irons late summer. I kept the hybrids but for now liking the 7w better than the 4h. Easier for me to hit a high cut with it.

Dave :-)

Over the last few years, the newest fairways grew too big ... again.

Now we have a resurgence of decent fairways -- Adams Tight Lies 2013 and the Bobby Jones Fairways 2012 by Ortiz were two of the better, and slightly smaller that I have played or demoed.

The RBZ and XHot were huge and the shaft length ... too long.

I've graduated to one fairway - a 17 at 5 wood length - 42 inches. Next club is a 21H.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I cannot hit hybrids. Don't know why. Maybe I haven't practiced enough or there is something wrong with my swing.

However, I can hit fairway woods rather well. Especially my 5 wood and 7 wood. So I will keep them in my bag, especially the 7 wood which is a wonderful club that always hits nicely.

I cannot hit hybrids. Don't know why. Maybe I haven't practiced enough or there is something wrong with my swing.

I address and position and swing them like any long iron.

One thing I've personally found....since they are a bit longer and have graphite shafts, that it helps to have a smoother and cleaner tempo (that does NOT mean slower - but I need to clean it up more) and then I get great hits more repeatedly.  ((((I suspect this means I should do this on ALL my swings for net improvement, though.  not just for hybrids and woods ;-) ))))

Bill - 

I hit fairway woods better than anything else so I have a 3W and a 5W. Probably would play better if I had a 7W but I've never gone that route.

I hit hybrids and long irons about equally, and pretty well. Sometimes slightly better with hybrids and sometimes slightly better with long irons. I try to play the guessing game of which to put in the bag before I go to the course.

After that as each club gets shorter I'm less and less happy with the way I hit them.

And then there's the driver: A long term love/hate relationship depending on the day, or what hat I'm wearing.

My son uses one, but he usually finds fairways.

I use an 18 degree hybrid, because I like the extra weight when cutting through rough.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just had a knock on the door for the UPS man dropping off my new Adams Super S 5 wood. Last year a carried a 17 degree 3 wood that I would consider a 4 wood. This year it is back to a 15 and 18 degree 3 and 5 wood.

HELL YEAH! My favorite club. And it was always a cheapo, too. First was a graphite shafted Wilson Staff with an odd but cool cement-looking finish. Now it's a steel-shafted Golfsmith/Lynx thingy.

I've been hitting my 18* 5w so well recently I've decided to re employ my 15* 3w that I fired then banished to the garage for inappropriate behaviour! She's on probation though!

Gaz Lee

I've been hitting my 18* 5w so well recently I've decided to re employ my 15* 3w that I fired then banished to the garage for inappropriate behaviour! She's on probation though!

What are their names? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I actually do have names for my woods!! Driver a, aka, Mr Reliable Driver b, aka, The General 5W, aka, The Captain (..of the fairway) 3W, aka, The Mentalist

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3673 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!