IGNORED

What have you or are willing to give up to continue to play golf?

hjimzaf
Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play every Friday and every other Saturday or Sunday, So about 5-6 rounds a month. My wife said that if I want to keep playing that much, I have to make some cuts somewhere. So far I have given up my iPhone for a a cheaper phone and plan, and I've dropped to basic cable. The Golf Channel is included with basic so I still have that. What have you guys given up?

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

i am with in my budget, so i don't give up much. But i am on basic cable, i drive a fuel effecient car, and i cook 90% of my meals anyways.. So my lifestyle fits my golfing needs pretty good.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm getting married next year but she has just come to terms with the fact that I play golf quite a bit. I think it also help that she now has access to the pool at my country club plus she works quite a few weekends. I guess I'm kind of on the lucky side of giving much up to play golf but I did lose the putting green I was going to put in the basement.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I planned to play golf when I retired so I earned and saved the money and golf fits the budget.  I do try to save money by car pooling to the course and purchasing "discount" cards that reduce green fees at the courses I play.  I don't purchase golf clubs very often and when I do I look for sales, in the used club bins and at clones.  I play with used, or mid priced balls and OPBs.  But to be honest these behaviors are just a hold over from having grown up poor.  So if the doctors and/or financial folks don't steal it all before I die I'll be in good shape till then.

Butch

I gave up my sanity!  This game will make you nuts. (or at least bananas!)

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Sleep ! I normally sleep late at night like 1am in the morning due to work . In summer I will tee off at 6am and get home by 11am to spent the day with the family like lunch shopping swimming ice skating etc ...
  • Upvote 1
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Originally Posted by hjimzaf

I play every Friday and every other Saturday or Sunday, So about 5-6 rounds a month. My wife said that if I want to keep playing that much, I have to make some cuts somewhere. So far I have given up my iPhone for a a cheaper phone and plan, and I've dropped to basic cable. The Golf Channel is included with basic so I still have that. What have you guys given up?

back pain - I have disk issues, and it bothers me alot to play & I pay for it the few days after a round, but I won't give it up ... love it too much

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BasicLly gave up basketball my senior year of hs so i could play golf 3-4 times a week and go to the range a ton instead of wasting my time at 4-7 practices 3x a week. I cant go out until 3 as a junior anyway so it was cramping my style.

In ten years I can't recall a time when my wife said no to anything golf related.  I spend money well within our means and she handles the books so I just take a bit off the top for walkin around money and deposit the whole thing.  It works best for me and as long as momma's happy I am happy.  I guess I give up some stuff but I don't miss it because because I just don't think about it.  One thing I can think of is a new TV.  We don't watch much but what we do watch is still on an old CRT type 27"  Golf comes first and my wife could care less about TV, we watch maybe 8 hours per week.

I'm 24 and my back is gone. It gets bad after playing golf but I figure I might as well play now because by the time I'm 50 I doubt I'll be able to even walk

One day soon I'll go to the doctor - but can not afford it after playing so much golf.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I would give up a super fancy car for a very average car to continue to play golf

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Time with my family.  I have 3 small kids.  6 years ago I played approx. 60 rounds a year.  Last year I played 11.  The only reason I know that is because I started the year with 9 2009 scores on my GHIN.

But I don't miss not being out with my buddies on Sat morning when I'm playing my my kids.  I still find time to play. I play in the major tournaments at our course.  I do nights during the week.  And now 2 of my kids are getting old enough to play so we are starting to play at night as well. Most of the time we just hit the range, which is good for my game.

I've met numerous guys that have told me that once their kids were old enough to want to do things on the weekend they hung up the clubs.  They are all playing again but took time off.  I know I'll never do that since my kids enjoy playing and I enjoy it way too much to ever quit or even take a sabbatical

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I would give up a super fancy car for a very average car to continue to play golf

Along with what I wrote in the first post, I'm about to give up my 2008 BMW 328i Coupe. I'm starting a new job in a few weeks, but it's a third less pay than the previous one. Plus my wife is 8 months pregnant with our first child so it's also not family friendly.

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!