IGNORED

Lowest Posted Score You Have Seen in a Scramble

trackster
Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We have shot a 46 before.  I'm about a 4, my cousin is scratch, the other 2 guys were 6's.  We were all given 2 mulligans a piece.  A tee buster and 10 feet of string each to add to any shot.  It was fun.  We had several Eagles and a hole in one on a par 3 that was 3 feet from the hole...  String well used!  The same group shot a 53 with no mulligans...  Its not impossible, especially when those flat sticks are working!

The lowest I've seen is 18 under and it was legit.  Were there a bunch of mulligans given out?  Did they let you toss a ball as a part of a mulligan package?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I've been on winning teams at around -13 or so.  Without mulligans or strings or whatever. I don't play in them anymore. They just seem like goofy golf these days, with all the add-ons of buying mulligans and string and stuff.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I've been on winning teams at around -13 or so.  Without mulligans or strings or whatever. I don't play in them anymore. They just seem like goofy golf these days, with all the add-ons of buying mulligans and string and stuff.

In my experience, that's typically the right score if people follow the "rules" (and the rules aren't goofy with mulligans and strings and whatnot) on decent courses.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a company outing & we shot a legit 11 under earlier this year in Fl.     Best guy holed a 135 yd 9 iron approach on the first hole.    Kept the wave going after that - making putts like I've NEVER seen before & not a single bogie.    Most fun I've ever had in a scramble & everybody contributed (I usually hate scrambles because I'm not a super long hitter & it takes me out of my game trying to kill every shot) - this was a blast though...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The lowest I've seen is a -15 on a par 72.  That seems pretty reasonable I guess? depending on how good of team you have.  The team I played with was terrible (I'm by far the best player and I'm a 10ish handicap?) and we shot a -5.  We could have shot lower too, but we could not sink a 10 foot putt to save our lives.  All the scrambles I play in are for charity or for my friends softball team, so I don't really care if we win or not, just go out and have free beer and lots of fun.  22 under does sound pretty fishy, but I guess if you birdie every hole and eagle every par 5 it's possible...still fishy though.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

22 under straight up (no string or mulligans) is really pushing it. String has to be worth something close to a shot a foot (or maybe 18"). Think about it. 4 guys with 30 foot putts for eagle.  It is likely that they will all be missed. The odds of one being with in a foot or so of the hole on the other hand is pretty good.

Originally Posted by RichWW2

The lowest I've seen is a -15 on a par 72.  That seems pretty reasonable I guess? depending on how good of team you have.  The team I played with was terrible (I'm by far the best player and I'm a 10ish handicap?) and we shot a -5.  We could have shot lower too, but we could not sink a 10 foot putt to save our lives.  All the scrambles I play in are for charity or for my friends softball team, so I don't really care if we win or not, just go out and have free beer and lots of fun.  22 under does sound pretty fishy, but I guess if you birdie every hole and eagle every par 5 it's possible...still fishy though.

The lowest I have seen posted and believed was 16 under, one teaching pro, one 3, one 6, one 10 handicap. The lowest. I have been part of was 12 under on a tough course par 70, 16 under won it. Each team was limited to one 5 or less, a 6-10, a 11-15, and a 15+. You had to use each players tee shot at least once each side. No strings, mulligans etc. I refuse to believe 16 under was possible. 4 low handicap players maybe.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I once saw a 49 in a scramble that included 2 mulligans per player, 1 skirt per player, one gimmie putt per group, and a 2 putt max for all holes.  Was the absolute worst scramble I've ever played in and will never do it again...it was even more miserable because you had to pay 80 dollars before they gave out the "rules".

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

The lowest I've seen without strings, mulligans, pencil whips,,,ect was -14(58) par 72 on a team I was on a couple years ago. We won by two shots that day and we were a heavily stacked team at our homecourse with myself and another scratch player who currently holds our course record, a 8 handicap and a 10 handicap. Not that -14 was all that amazing but we started on the back and only shot -4. The front nine our 10 handicapper suddenly came alive with his putter and he dropped two 40ft bombs for eagle. We shot -10 under on the front which still stands as our course "scramble" record for nine holes. They even made a cheesy plaque with our names and hung it in the clubhouse.

How about the highest winning score you've ever seen? This was years ago back at Ft. Ord, California we had a Base Scramble once a month on payday. My team had come close a couple times and usually 10-12 under won. On this particular day the wind was really howling and we were playing Bayonet which was and still is a beast. My best friend(12 hcp) at the time drained like a 60 foot putt on #15 to get us to -5 under and that's where we finished. I didn't think we had much of a chance but with the tough conditions on a tough course it was just good enough that day. The fun part was I'll never forget my buddy holing that 60ft putt, you would have thought he just won the Masters!

Those are my only two scramble wins and it was a lot of fun but I honestly can't stand scrambles in general and at this point will only play in our "members only" that we have in the spring once a year. Last year I got paired up with three 25 handicaps and we shot -2,,,lol. Well, actually I think I shot -2 and they looked for balls in the woods. We finished tied for last but it was a fun day and that's pretty much how I view scrambles as a fun time to goof off a little and not take it too serious. With all the crazy buy outs and formats these days it's not real golf in my opinion. I'd be more impressed if someone said they broke 80 on their own ball playing by the rules than anyone bragging about winning a scramble.

Basically, if it's not Medal or Match Play I don't play in it.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Without any craziness like Mulligans and strings or whatever, I witnessed a -17 round from a group in front of us.  4 scratch golfers playing as a team and they were killing the course.

Last summer I was in an ABCD scramble where we shot -17 straight up.  We started on a par 5 where the B player hit a monster drive that rolled out to about 320 yards, I put a 7-iron to about 15ft, and our C player rolls in the putt for eagle.  That got the day started.  Our D player made 3 birdie putts for us, I rolled in a long putt for birdie on the "Longest Putt Made" hole.  The whole day, our C player was crushing the ball off the tee, taking the pressure off.  As the A player, I think I only took 3 or 4 putts because everyone else was on fire.  Fun day!

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

I don't play too many, but last year the winning group shot a -18. I knew two of the guys and they couldn't break 90 if their lives depended on it. The other two must have been ace's. Who knows. I did win long drive of the day by driving the green on a par 4.

I played in a scramble a few weeks ago where the low gross was 51 (par 72). They had a strange set of rules for this tournament. There were 3 sets of tees (back tees, regulars, and ladies) and each team got to tee off from each set of tees 6 times (I think we had a par 5 from the ladies' tees that measured 330). There were no mulligans, but if you hit your shot into one of five spray-painted shamrocks, it counted as being holed. Also, I say gross because at the end of the round, they took 30% of the average of your team's handicap and subtracted. My team's 63 put us around 13th out of 25 net and 17th gross.

• iacas changed the title to Lowest Posted Score You Have Seen in a Scramble
Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!