IGNORED

leaning the hands forward?

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by golfballs01

The club actually does return back very closely to the address position as long as the address is of course correct. The club is in the correct position at address in the picture.

I disagree that the club returns in the same place unless your definition of "very closely" is a lot looser than mine.

Analyzr Image Export 1.jpg Analyzr Image Export 2.jpg Analyzr Image Export 3.jpg Analyzr Image Export 4.jpg Analyzr Image Export 4.jpg Analyzr Image Export 5.jpg Analyzr Image Export 6.jpg Analyzr Image Export 7.jpg Analyzr Image Export.jpg

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is actually a drill I use for impact.  It has to do with the fact that you are giving yourself the ability to get to a better impact position.   With the hands leading properly you hit better shots.

Originally Posted by golfballs01

As far as the loft of the clubs, I have always been told by club fitters as well as pros that the club is slightly forward of vertical when determining the loft of the club.

Edwin Watts, Golf Galaxy, and Sports Authority have confirmed this belief.

Tell me you are joking.

You consider these places authorities?

-Dan

• 4 months later...

I had my first ever lesson yesterday with a certfied pga instructor. My set up was always hands slighty forward at address.

Well yesterday this instructor informed me that the shaft of the club should always be pointing at your zipper for normal swings. Only at impact should the hands be ahead of the ball.

With this advice I started hitting the ball straight (a slight right to left) and much further than I had been. He says, "hands too far forward at set up, and assuming you are playing the ball off the logo of your shirt will promote weak high shots and sometimes weak pushes or slices."

I guess I'm confused as to why some golfers set up with their hands forward?

I love you Nicole Aniston

Originally Posted by CuppedTin

I like raising the handle and giving the shaft a "1/2 push forward before I start my backswing. For me it promotes the hinge in the trailing wrist and the flat leading wrist... And from there it is simply back and through...

With the exception of raising the handle I use about a 1/2" forward push to start my swing as well and enjoy the same benefits.My hands hinge much more automatically and keeps my whole swing together.

• 1 year later...

Shouldn't the "lean" happen naturally?

It just happens, Right?

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I was taught that impacting the ball with the hands leading (relative to) the club face, gave the golfer full use of the loft of that club. If the hands were in line, or behind the club face at impact, loft was lost on that club. In other words the lost loft would make a 5I shot go 6, or even 7 iron distance.

Also, with the hands forward a little, and slight hip (relative again) sway toward the target helped to put the divot in front of the ball, not even with it, or behind it.

When the club face has to catch up to the hands in the swing, the club face will be moving faster than the hand through impact. Something about holding the lag as long as possible.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

handle should point at inside of left thigh for right handers

Even on longer clubs (driver) with the ball farther out in your stance?

(just trying to visualize it in my head ...)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I had my first ever lesson yesterday with a certfied pga instructor. My set up was always hands slighty forward at address. Well yesterday this instructor informed me that the shaft of the club should always be pointing at your zipper for normal swings. Only at impact should the hands be ahead of the ball. With this advice I started hitting the ball straight (a slight right to left) and much further than I had been. He says, "hands too far forward at set up, and assuming you are playing the ball off the logo of your shirt will promote weak high shots and sometimes weak pushes or slices." I guess I'm confused as to why some golfers set up with their hands forward?

I always set up with a forward lean and I certainly don't hit "weak high shots and sometimes weak pushes or slices". My stock shot is a push draw. I hit it pretty low which I like because of all the wind I typically play in.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Assuming a normal ball position (middle of stance short irons, progressively further forward through the bag to just inside instep with driver), I believe that at address the butt of the club should point anywhere from the zipper to the inside portion of the left thigh. That'll give most people a few inches of leeway. No such thing as an absolute fundamental in golf - so to say the hands must be positioned in some precise manner at address goes against what you will see week in week out on the professional tours. It is more a range of workable possibilities and the optimum position for any individual will depend on the nature of their swing. What I see is that rotary style players have the butt pointing more towards the zipper, arm swingers more towards inside of left thigh. Personally, I'm an arm swinger and position my hands so butt of club points at inside of my left thigh. With my short irons there's a noticeable forward shaft lean at address, with my driver the shaft is leaning a tiny amount back. Might vary a little when I'm creating different shots. Overall it works great for me.

Welcome to the forum @Cooki

Thanks for posting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!