IGNORED

How much does it really matter to have a top-brand putter?

MrElculver2424
Note: This thread is 4683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Expensive putters (a topic that it's clear we've exhausted based on the search feature) are wort they fit you. Chances are, if you're buying one off the rack, if won't fit any better than what you've got so it might not be better. Try it out, who knows, maybe you'll make more putts. [quote name="Kieran123" url="/forum/thread/51645/how-much-does-it-really-matter-to-have-a-top-brand-putter#post_630256"]

I heard Tiger is now using a hockey stick putter. They're on sale at golf town

[/quote] OT, I know, but those are going for big money at my local Golf Town. They're all have Bruins logos and since the Stanley Cup the prices have skyrocketed.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At the risk of losing some credibility, I'm gonna back pedal and give the OP the benefit of the doubt on his query.

To be honest, I do think high end putters can be better balanced. Not everyone needs a "balanced" putter, but for some people it gives them a little extra confidence and that's 1/2 the battle with putting.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

At the risk of losing some credibility, I'm gonna back pedal and give the OP the benefit of the doubt on his query.

Please, like you still have any left to lose? .

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by trackster

I take some jokes for having a putter from the 1940s (no lie) but i love it and have yet to 4 putt this year and have been averaging right around 15 per nine

Some of the older putters have amazing feel. The old school blade putters that look like someone's melted down doorknob actually are amazing if you get the right one in your hands.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Please, like you still have any left to lose?.

Have truer words ever been spoken?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Like most clubs ( for me anyway ) we love each other at first - the romance is hot, I hit greens, I sink putts, I smoke drives - but as the relationship grows, we get bored of each other and the honeymoon period ends, I start chunking, slicing, and leave myself 4 feet. We talk to each other ( well I do most of the talking ) but neither will listen - until we ( I ) realize, it aint the clubs fault for my miserable game, it's me.

What I'm trying to say is, get a putter you are comfortable with and can hit - and when your putting gets a little 'iffy', put up with it and practice and give it time to see if it comes around rather than think you need to invest in new tools.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Like most clubs ( for me anyway ) we love each other at first - the romance is hot, I hit greens, I sink putts, I smoke drives - but as the relationship grows, we get bored of each other and the honeymoon period ends, I start chunking, slicing, and leave myself 4 feet. We talk to each other ( well I do most of the talking ) but neither will listen - until we ( I ) realize, it aint the clubs fault for my miserable game, it's me.

And with these club's there's still often a first love, the one we go back to.. for me it's my Spalding TP Mills, I've tried other putters but it was my first love and it's the one I'll go back to for comfort every time. With putter's I think this is especially true.. it's a romance thing, but really it's not a technology thing... it's in the head.

Taylormade Burner Superfast TP 2010 9.5 - Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff 44.5" (0.5" tipped, 1.5" butt trimmed reweighted D1)
Ping Rapture V2 3strong wood 13.5 - Diamana 63 g35t Stiff 42.5"
Cleveland Launcher DST 2hy 18* - Ultralite Diamana Red 74 Stiff 40.5"
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW standard loft/lie/length - Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled GW 52/8*
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW 56/14*
Spalding TPM-4 Putter (circa 1988)
Bridgestone B330RX balls.

Originally Posted by SamW

And with these club's there's still often a first love, the one we go back to.. for me it's my Spalding TP Mills, I've tried other putters but it was my first love and it's the one I'll go back to for comfort every time. With putter's I think this is especially true.. it's a romance thing, but really it's not a technology thing... it's in the head.

I had a black Pinnacle anser style blade with tungsten (or maybe nickel?) heel and toe weights. Best $80 I ever spent. During one dark period while we were separated, I allowed my girlfriend at the time to put it in her bag for the summer. Our last summer together as it happened. It was 15 years ago and I still miss that putter.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I had a black Pinnacle anser style blade with tungsten (or maybe nickel?) heel and toe weights. Best $80 I ever spent. During one dark period while we were separated, I allowed my girlfriend at the time to put it in her bag for the summer. Our last summer together as it happened. It was 15 years ago and I still miss that putter.

One of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pinnacle-Tri-Line-Putter-35-/120702462564 ? Pinnacle didn't make so many putters I think.

Taylormade Burner Superfast TP 2010 9.5 - Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff 44.5" (0.5" tipped, 1.5" butt trimmed reweighted D1)
Ping Rapture V2 3strong wood 13.5 - Diamana 63 g35t Stiff 42.5"
Cleveland Launcher DST 2hy 18* - Ultralite Diamana Red 74 Stiff 40.5"
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW standard loft/lie/length - Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled GW 52/8*
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW 56/14*
Spalding TPM-4 Putter (circa 1988)
Bridgestone B330RX balls.

Quote:

Must important thing is making sure it fits you. Most putters have four degrees of loft and are 71 lie. I like mine to be about 70 lie and anywhere from .5 - 2 loft. Just depends on the putter. Some look different than others. ...

Find a putter you like, break it in for a few rounds, and then get a putter fitting. Deron above IDs two key factors. Also, consider shaft length and what type of grip you want.

In January: If you bang your bag around a lot in handling, get a loft-lie check on you putter before the new season starts. Heads made of softer metals might bend a little over the season.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I've putted with a very old titleist bullseye before and it works pretty well...

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

I've putted with a very old titleist bullseye before and it works pretty well...

Amazing putter on fast greens.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Its only important if the user thinks that a expensive putter makes putt better.  Personally, Ive use everything ranging from $35 Wilson putters to $300 Camerons and Bettinardis and they all work the same.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

My putting game increased 10-fold after buying a new putter. I was previously using an old Odyssey that was always just too light in the head. It was really hard to judge power/distance control from the fringe or 20' out. I picked up the Odyssey from a friend who paid around $150.

I picked up a Trend R7 Nano Putter (ceramic white head) from MC Sports for $19.99! It was an overstock type of one-time sale. The kid kept thinking they mislabeled it because of the look and feel of it. The suggested MSRP was $139.99 (as all MSRP's are usually inflated by 500% anyway). I was lucky enough to grab the last one that they had. It took some getting used to because compared to my last putter, this is like swinging a sledge hammer. The weight keeps me consistent and slower. I also get awesome roll directly at impact with no skid/hop.

Like the rest of the guys here said - I think it's more or less the "feel" and definitely, definitely, not the cost/name. Sometimes buying something new just increases confidence and can refresh the game. Sorry for the long rant!

Thank you everyone for the advice!

I probably will end up getting a new putter within the next few years. I just have a pretty basic one right now, I think it's Acuity brand. But I perform pretty well with it, so I'll stick with it for now.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

Originally Posted by greatishten

Despite owning one, I wouldn't say so. Practicing helped more than anything else. I just bought the putter because it felt good, looked good, and I had the extra cash for it.

Totally agree and I own a couple!  When my brother was looking for a new putter we went to the store and I would hand him a putter without him looking at the price or brand so that would have no influence on him.  What we found out was he putted best with a putter that that he felt comfortable standing over and looking at during address.  I don't think you need to spend $300 on a putter, but a putter from your local putt putt might not be the best either.  One of my favorite putters is a Ping Nickel Anser, that was less than $100.  It is just the right firmness/softness and the ball makes a sound off the putter that suits my ear, so I know when I have struck the ball solid.

All that being said, practice the one you've got and you might be surprised.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I kind of agree with everyone here.  Confidence, stroke and how well it fits to your game is important.  I feel though that you might have more room to improve your putting with a higher end putter than if you were still using a lower quality one.  Then again if you can't afford it, you can't afford it and its going to be "don't get it everytime"

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Note: This thread is 4683 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!