IGNORED

2011 College Football Discussion

BigAl5150
Note: This thread is 4528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's interesting about Boise St is that they show up to beat teams when they are in one of the BCS bowls, but anything lower like when they played in the Poinsettia Bowl in '08 and the Hawaii Bowl in '07, they lose. But during the regular season, they play very well despite the loss to Nevada last year.

Still, I do agree about giving them a chance at the title this year. I don't this it's likely to happen especially if Stanford and Oklahoma St win out.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I agree and disagree because I used to say the exact same thing that you're saying. The thing that started to change my mind is the fact that they beat every team put in front of them. It seems like every year they beat a top tier team and usually whoever they get in their bowl game. I think that they deserve a chance to play in the title game and it would probably be good for the BCS. If they win everyone would know that they have the right to be there but if they get blown out it will be a non issue.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

If Boise State is in the conversation, then any undefeated team should be able to make a claim to the national title game, regardless of their low-level competition.  Shouldn't Houston be in the same conversation?

Here's the thing:  Give Boise State's schedule to any of the current top 25 teams. How many of them would also be undefeated?  I would guess that a good percentage of them would be.  That's the problem.  Until Boise State plays a schedule which features more than one team ranked in the top 20 (Georgia at #19 at the time) they don't deserve consideration.

Look at Utah.  They have had great won-loss records in the past.  Now that they are in the Pac-12, and face solid competition week in and week out, they are struggling big time.  They didn't have the depth needed to play in a major conference, where injuries play a big part.  You had better have a solid 2nd team, for it's a long season, getting beat up every week.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

If Boise State is in the conversation, then any undefeated team should be able to make a claim to the national title game, regardless of their low-level competition.  Shouldn't Houston be in the same conversation?

Here's the thing:  Give Boise State's schedule to any of the current top 25 teams. How many of them would also be undefeated?  I would guess that a good percentage of them would be.  That's the problem.  Until Boise State plays a schedule which features more than one team ranked in the top 20 (Georgia at #19 at the time) they don't deserve consideration.

Look at Utah.  They have had great won-loss records in the past.  Now that they are in the Pac-12, and face solid competition week in and week out, they are struggling big time.  They didn't have the depth needed to play in a major conference, where injuries play a big part.  You had better have a solid 2nd team, for it's a long season, getting beat up every week.

Exactly! Boise St: get out of the WAC and compete EVERY WEEK with top level teams* and then we'll take you seriously.

* see the SEC, for example.

Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Originally Posted by visiondr

Exactly! Boise St: get out of the WAC and compete EVERY WEEK with top level teams* and then we'll take you seriously.

* see the SEC, for example.

That's great and they would probably be more than happy to except an offer from a big conference sine it would be a big pay day. Ohhhh wait no big conference has given them an invite bummer. Actually they can barely find top teams to play them and when they do get a top team they always have to travel. Also compete with top level teams every week... really? Every conference has weak teams and most teams schedule really weak teams for their OOC games. Also they saw the SEC this year and beat them *see georgia. You make it sound like they are ducking being in a power conference and they can't just say we're joining the SEC. They have to be invited and we all know that will be hard since outside of football Boise State brings nothing to the table thus less money. There is a reason they hover around the top of the rankings almost every year because they beat everyone put in front of them. It might be this year or the future but if they keep it up eventually they will get into the championship then it's time to put up or shut up. I'm not even a fan of Boise State and I used to say the same stuff but they seem to some how win against top teams. That's why I think they deserve their shot and let that decide their future instead of just saying they don't belong.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I don't mean to suggest that Boise has a choice to join a top conference and doesn't want to. My point about tough conferences like the SEC is that any team that can go undefeated there has to play very hard each and every game with the kind of injuries and general fatigue that causes. Boise's schedule has a lot of pretty weak teams. I really don't think there's a comparison between an undefeated Boise and an undefeated LSU, for example.

Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Boise has been in the discussion for so long, that I really believe that if them and one other team is undefeated, they deserve a shot.  Now if that's LSU, they'll likely walk into a buzzsaw, considering that the title game would be a de facto home game for LSU.  All this re-alignment is about being impatient if you ask me.  If Boise runs to the Big East, they'll regret it.

I don't like how the rankings are putting 'Bama in front of Stanford. I know they had a great defensive game against LSU, who I believe deserve the #1 spot, but they lost! I'd like to see what the BCS does of Oklahoma St. loses and we're back to where LSU and 'Bama are #1 and #2 again.

I think if Boise St leaves the WAC for the Big East, it shows that they want to compete with these higher profile teams. They better hope that they don't turn into this year's Utah...

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I don't like how the rankings are putting 'Bama in front of Stanford. I know they had a great defensive game against LSU, who I believe deserve the #1 spot, but they lost! I'd like to see what the BCS does of Oklahoma St. loses and we're back to where LSU and 'Bama are #1 and #2 again.

I think if Boise St leaves the WAC for the Big East, it shows that they want to compete with these higher profile teams. They better hope that they don't turn into this year's Utah...

Personally, I thought Bama would drop to #5, but Stanford will probably get to #2 if they beat Oregon.  I just don't trust that Ok. State will escape Bedlam undefeated.  As for Boise and the Big East, the conference is sinking like a rock.....I'd stay in the Mountain West unless the Big 12 feels like getting back to, you know, 12.

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Personally, I thought Bama would drop to #5, but Stanford will probably get to #2 if they beat Oregon.  I just don't trust that Ok. State will escape Bedlam undefeated.  As for Boise and the Big East, the conference is sinking like a rock.....I'd stay in the Mountain West unless the Big 12 feels like getting back to, you know, 12.

I agree but at the moment it's a better conference than what they play in currently. Since it looks like all the conferences won't be going to 16 teams real soon it's Boise best option. Ultimately I think if it goes to 16 team conferences I think the Big 12 will take Boise or possibly the Pac 12. Also keep in mind this is all money driven and the big east pays more than the Mountain West but it also works against Boise since they aren't a huge revenue school. Now as for an undefeated Boise vs an undefeated LSU I'd agree there shouldn't be any comparison but I thought that the first time they played in the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma. I didn't think they'd beat Oregon, VA Tech, or Georgia over the years but some how they always seem to find a way to win. Now if they get in this year against LSU I'd expect them to get beat but I wouldn't be totally shocked if they some how won. I'm hoping if they don't get the national championship they get either Bama, OK State, or Standford obviously one of them will most likely be in the title game.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

This whole college football re-alignment is crazy.. I have no clue whats going on, Big East is becomming the Big Were-ever. At least the SEC and Big 12 get schools near them. honestly its a pathetic attempt to keep a shitty football conference around.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by visiondr

I don't mean to suggest that Boise has a choice to join a top conference and doesn't want to. My point about tough conferences like the SEC is that any team that can go undefeated there has to play very hard each and every game with the kind of injuries and general fatigue that causes. Boise's schedule has a lot of pretty weak teams. I really don't think there's a comparison between an undefeated Boise and an undefeated LSU, for example.

Outside of LSU and Alabama, the SEC isn't as great as you think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the year I give up on college football.

I hate SEC football. I hate the universities in the SEC. I hate the people I know who went to SEC universities. Every year, an SEC team wins the national championship, and now it looks like the championship game is going to be between two teams in the same division of that God-forsaken conference. I'm sick of it.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I think it is now clear there are no great teams this year. I will now begin rooting for an LSU upset or a second Alabama loss. I also think it is time for the national pundits to acknowledge that the SEC is not as deep as it was a couple years ago. They have 2 very good teams four above average teams. The truth is the differences between conferences are very small now. When NEB. Had its run in the 90s the perception of big 8 dominance far exceeded the reality, SEC is receiving that pundit love now. For one thing the lack of line and QB depth means teams struggle to overcome injuries and teams wear down more than in the past. The schemes now mean that match ups, almost like basketball, have teams utilizing 2 or 3 difference makers and if they are neutralizd or injured the team that blew out one good team by 28 points loses to a similar team by 14 points. The reliance on hurry up and spread offenses means, again more like basketball, that momentum and turnovers exaggerate small differences in talent and play on a given day. Because of practice limits and the emphasis on weights and physical development outside of practice, physical fundamentals have declined precipitously from past generations. Interestingly the focus on film work means players are in the right place more than ever, but lack the skills to make plays. Bottom line there are fewer great teams and no truly dominant conferences anymore. Of course this reasoning also clearly leads to the conclusion that the BCS and its flawed computer models have outlived any relevence. Teams and players deserve a playoff system. They work hard and deserve an equitable process.
  • Upvote 1

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I think this is the year I give up on college football.

I hate SEC football. I hate the universities in the SEC. I hate the people I know who went to SEC universities. Every year, an SEC team wins the national championship, and now it looks like the championship game is going to be between two teams in the same division of that God-forsaken conference. I'm sick of it.

Lot of hate there, Chilli.  What would be your alternative? If there were a playoff system this year, at least SEC teams would be in it.

I agree it would be interesting if there were one team that combined great offense with great defense.  But they don't seem to come around very often.

I think this is the year I give up on college football. I hate SEC football. I hate the universities in the SEC. I hate the people I know who went to SEC universities. Every year, an SEC team wins the national championship, and now it looks like the championship game is going to be between two teams in the same division of that God-forsaken conference. I'm sick of it.

Come, come to the dark side Chilli Dipper. Where all of your football fandom is devoted to the NFL. Where teams don't need two place-kickers because the guy who can make 50-yarders has a heart attack on extra points. Where Mark Sanchez isn't the best quarterback in any given year. Where [insert Penn State joke here]. Where all teams play a pro-style offense because, y'know, they're in the pros. ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I remember saying somewhere that this could be a banner year for Louisiana football....and I am pretty close to being right.  Of course there's LSU....my alma mater La Tech wins the WAC and could've done even better (lost to Houston and Southern Miss by a combined 3 pts) and the Saints have become surgeons under the dome....

The BcS is what it is though.....if that's what we have then some hard rules need to be in place such as:

1) Have to win your conference to play in title game

2) Can't let BcS bowls just pick schools based on who's gonna fill up rooms (see Sugar Bowl matchup)

Why not? The game doesn't mean anything. It is going to be a decent game and get good ratings as well. It is just an exhibition.

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

2) Can't let BcS bowls just pick schools based on who's gonna fill up rooms (see Sugar Bowl matchup)

Note: This thread is 4528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!