IGNORED

56 or 60 Wedge?

Elmer
Note: This thread is 4576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry both a 56 and 60 volkey wedges in my bag.

I am debating dropping one out to lighten my load when I walk.

I use the 60 for chipping around the green, bumping within 20 years and chips no more than 50 yards away.

I like using the 60 because it hits, hops and sticks with minimal role.

The 56 is used for anything 50 yards to 80 yards. (I know I dont have distance, but I have 1 busted shoulder and 1 repaired one, and do the best I can)

I was orginally thinking of dropping the 56 and getting a 54

My current wedge set up is 50-56-60

I was thinking of switching to 50-54-60.

But now I am thinking of just going 50-56.

I can chip, bump and pitch with my 56, but it does not stick as much, which is why I have stuck with my 60.

Is it more beneficial to drop the 60 and focus on doing it all with the 56?

Should I switch to lower loft set up 54-60

Should I just do what has gotten me this far in my game?

Should I just stop tinkering with my game as I do every off season?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the 56 for normal sand shots, certain chip shots and approach shots. However, I can only increase the loft of the 56 so much before I run into the risk of the club headed bouncing off wet sand, inadequate sand or a tight lie. The 60 is also superior for lob shots where you need the ball to drop and stop. I say keep both.

I'm not sure I'd drop either... to start one club isn't going to save you a whole lot of weight.  On top of that, it seems like you have different uses for the two clubs; one around the greens and one 50-80yds.  I know that you said that you could do the green work with 56 but if you really prefer the 60 it may be worth the extra weight in the bag.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Elmer

Should I just stop tinkering with my game as I do every off season?

^^^ This.

If I absolutely HAD to drop a club, I would pull my SW.  I only ever use it from the sand, and there's a 70/30 chance I'll use the 60° from the sand anyhow.  So the 56° rarely gets used.  I can grip down on the 51° and take a little off if I need to, so I wouldn't miss the the 56° much at all.

Keep them both and when you need new wedges, consider 54 and 60. I have PW(46), GW(50), Sand 54, and lob 60. The 54 has more bounce and the 60 has very little bounce. I think when most guys used to carry one sand wedge, their pitching wedges were close to 50*. Now a PW is 45* or 46* and something needs to fill that gap between a 54 or 56 sand wedge and today's PW.

I like the 50, 54, 60 setup better than my old 52, 56, 60 setup.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

My SW is 55*.  I don't have any other higher lofted wedges.  My short game has always been pretty good and I use the SW for everything inside 80 yards.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I'd say keep them both. When it's time to replace them, check out a 54 sand and 58 lob combo if you want to try something different. I went back and for on the lob wedge because it's supposedly hard to hit well - not true. Useful club - always one or two situations each round when I'm glad I have it.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Why not go 52, 58? Sounds like you are trying to mold three different lofts into two clubs. The 58 will fit in between your 60 and 56. I used to play 54 & 58, but I need more range so I went 52, 56, 60… I would drop a long iron before I dropped a wedge. Stats dont lie, and laying up a few times could change you game completely…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

If your really looking to ditch wedges, I'd consider something like your irons+PW+ a 52-54* (depending on PW loft) + a 58*. You will have the 52/54 for gap or sand shots, and the 58 for greenside work.

If it were my bag, I'd keep all 4 (PW, GW, 56, and 60). The only wedge I'd even consider dropping is my 51* GW...it just isn't used near as much as my other wedges.

If your doing this solely for the weight of carrying...have you considered using a push/pull cart instead?

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I'd keep them both - you use them for different things, and appear to get good results.

Some people can hit the 60*, others can't. If it works for you, keep it and the 56.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I would keep both.  Dropping one club doesn't make that much of difference in weight for walking.

I walk all the time and I have 52, 56 and 60 (and PW that is 48).  I carry all the wedges.  My distances on a full swing is as follows:

PW: 140

52: 120

56: 100

60: 80

I can get 10 extra yards on these by hitting it a little harder than my normal swing.  I use 60 for anything inside 80 except on green side bunkers where I use 56.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 options;

1. Keep both and drop that long iron, hybrid, or fairway wood you hardly ever use or don't have much confidence in.

2. Keep both but leave one of them in the trunk if the course you will be playing has A LOT of Hardpan like we have here in South Texas.

3. Keep both but lighten your load by only carrying 3 sleeves or less golf balls, and taking only the items you need for that round in your bag, leave the rest in the trunk.

What WUTiger said.  I don't carry a 60*, but that's mainly because I can open up my 56 and do just fine.  If you find the 60* useful, and you're able to execute with it, why change?

Or as mentioned above, maybe the next time you buy wedges you go with a 54/58 combination.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

I'd keep them both - you use them for different things, and appear to get good results.

Some people can hit the 60*, others can't. If it works for you, keep it and the 56.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Id keep the 60 and replace the 56 with a 54.  I love my 54 because its a great compromise between a 52 and 56 degree wedge.  I wouldnt want to give up my 60.  Its a very handy club to have for short shots or shots where you dont have a lot of green to work with.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If you're getting good results as you suggest and have a distinct purpose for each club...I'd just stop tinkering with it and carry both....you're lucky in that you can hit a 60 effectively...I dont even carry one because I cant hit it worth a damn...and my lack of confidence in the stick only makes it worse.

Note: This thread is 4576 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!