IGNORED

Hitting into a Net

iacas
Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, I always use my phone's camera when working on my swing. It will do 240fps which really helps. I'm trying to now work out if I can somehow come up with a way to automatically replay each swing after I hit, it really breaks my rhythm when I have to stop and check the video after each one.

Which phone does 240 fps?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which phone does 240 fps?

I use a Samsung Note 2. I think all the newer Samsung Galaxy phone can do 1/8 speed (30*8=240). You do drop quite a bit in resolution at 1/8 but for golf I've found it fine. I have started to use 1/4 (120fps) more often now as I don't find I'm really getting any benefit from 240fps over 120 as I'm really looking at my body movements, and I'm not as concerned about my club head.

Here is an example at 120fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18fhswgiPjw

Garage setup - $20 plus tarp (plus a blanket) details up thread - I did put a hole in the tarp (and the wall) with a very nice 5 iron strike (you can see the hole at the bottom - in front of the plywood - at the time, the assembly was completely hoisted to the ceiling and the bottom was restrained at the corners.  So I added the clamps to hang a blanket (another $5 total).  As long as the blanket is free hanging, it gathers in most any strike nicely and the tarp behind then stops and gathers.  Simple wins here.  Alternatively, a looser weave hanging (like in the golf stores would likely do just as well - best not to restrain the bottom of the tarp so it can flex and dissipate the energy.

and stowed and raised out of the way

Well this is clever.That you put it in your garage got me thinking. What are the dimensions?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

After some very good input from Erik, I have constructed my "golf center" here at home.  I bought a Real Feel 5' x 5' mat and then double hung some 1" square high impact netting.  I already had the dog.

Wow those Real Feel mats are expensive. A 4x4 is $349 on eBay. Is it worth it?

My girlfriend got me a real good mat for approximately $100 for Christmas. I think it's a Durapro mat. I personally love my net. I have a Rukk net and it's great because it takes a minute to set up which works for me since the range takes more effort. I use my net, record my sessions, and send the videos to my Evolvr instructor which has helped me tremendously.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I use a Fairway Pro and stand on a thick doormat. [URL]http://fairwaypro.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products;_id=28[/URL]

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My girlfriend got me a real good mat for approximately $100 for Christmas. I think it's a Durapro mat.

I personally love my net. I have a Rukk net and it's great because it takes a minute to set up which works for me since the range takes more effort. I use my net, record my sessions, and send the videos to my Evolvr instructor which has helped me tremendously.

That's a good girlfriend. I'll check out the Rukk.

I use a Fairway Pro and stand on a thick doormat. http://fairwaypro.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products;_id=28

Why do you add a doormat?

Why do you add a doormat?

So I'm not standing 2" below the ball.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

So I'm not standing 2" below the ball.

I see. Because its 14" wide you have to stand off to the side. I purchased a tiny mat with some almost golf balls once and I couldn't deal with it. Even though it was technically big enough for my swing path it psyched me out like I was going to miss it or something. I think I need a nice 4'x 4' at least.

I use a Fairway Pro and stand on a thick doormat. http://fairwaypro.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products;_id=28

I hit into a net, and was looking for a good quality mat. Found these, at what seems like a reasonable price.  http://www.dwquailgolf.com/mats_nets_mirrors.html

I hit into a net, and was looking for a good quality mat. Found these, at what seems like a reasonable price.  http://www.dwquailgolf.com/mats_nets_mirrors.html

Yup, that's the one I have.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 3 months later...

Advice pls!

I have a net and are going to start practice on it. Now i think i know a good deal about what makes a swing good, i atleast know the usuall positions.

But for the sake of not doing something foolish like groving a bad move that i did not know about :/ . I am thinking of buying the 5sk dvd's as a go to

instruction. would that be kinda fail safe?

My game are a joke and i am so tired of it.. I actually posted a round of 69 this year my best ever but the next round was like 90. I am very streaky to say the

least. And that's the seed for me to start all over again. I mean is it possible to build a swing that's more solid and produces like <70% good shot's instead of the

other way around?

Btw i bought "Lowest score wins" and must say i love it, alot of eyeopeners for me in that book.

Advice pls! I have a net and are going to start practice on it. Now i think i know a good deal about what makes a swing good, i atleast know the usuall positions. But for the sake of not doing something foolish like groving a bad move that i did not know about :/ . I am thinking of buying the 5sk dvd's as a go to instruction. would that be kinda fail safe? My game are a joke and i am so tired of it.. I actually posted a round of 69 this year my best ever but the next round was like 90. I am very streaky to say the least. And that's the seed for me to start all over again. I mean is it possible to build a swing that's more solid and produces like <70% good shot's instead of the other way around? Btw i bought "Lowest score wins" and must say i love it, alot of eyeopeners for me in that book.

If you liked "Lowest Score Wins", then an extension of the learning the swing part of it is naturally watching the 5SK videos. I would recommend taking it a step further and give your practice area enough light and space to take a video of your swing and send it to a good pro. Even of you think you're capable of analyzing your own swing, based on my own experience and many others here, you're not. You need a trained eye to pick out the most important priority piece to work on and how to fix it and most people aren't qualified for that. It's better to have someone with years of experience and know how who has seen tons of swings. And because you're hitting into a net and not looking at your ball flight, you'll concentrate more on your swing than getting the ball to behave the way you want it to. That's a bonus. Choosing a pro is hard, but 5SK offers online lessons at a very reasonable price. If you're close to Erie, take an in person lesson. You can see the results I got with them recently on my swing thread. I would check them out at [URL=http://evolvr.com]evolvr.com[/URL]. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Something that I recently discovered through a friend, in reference to using a phone or I-pad to video your swing, and app. called  (SloPro) There's a way of getting it free, otherwise it's a few dolars and there for good. You can film your swing in HD and edit the swing to 40fps, 100fps, 250fps, 500fps, and 1,000fps. It's really easy, clear, and even records the sound. I had a friend who filmed his baby crawling around and getting into things, so after he filmed a few minutes of it, he used the features of the app to speed up the action, then put music to it. I couldn't stop laughing but I really liked the easiness and quality of the video. You can edit out any still or undesirable portions of the video to reduce the file size. Give it a try, you'll really find it beneficial.

Advice pls! I have a net and are going to start practice on it. Now i think i know a good deal about what makes a swing good, i atleast know the usuall positions. But for the sake of not doing something foolish like groving a bad move that i did not know about :/ . I am thinking of buying the 5sk dvd's as a go to instruction. would that be kinda fail safe?

Welcome to TheSandTrap! If you're hitting into a net, you should film yourself. There's almost no feedback otherwise. Post your videos here by creating a My Swing thread, and you'll get plenty of feedback from helpful and knowledgeable people, as well.

Bill

My Swing Thread

If you liked "Lowest Score Wins", then an extension of the learning the swing part of it is naturally watching the 5SK videos. I would recommend taking it a step further and give your practice area enough light and space to take a video of your swing and send it to a good pro.

Even of you think you're capable of analyzing your own swing, based on my own experience and many others here, you're not. You need a trained eye to pick out the most important priority piece to work on and how to fix it and most people aren't qualified for that. It's better to have someone with years of experience and know how who has seen tons of swings.

And because you're hitting into a net and not looking at your ball flight, you'll concentrate more on your swing than getting the ball to behave the way you want it to. That's a bonus.

Choosing a pro is hard, but 5SK offers online lessons at a very reasonable price. If you're close to Erie, take an in person lesson. You can see the results I got with them recently on my swing thread. I would check them out at evolvr.com.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Is 5SK and evolvr.com the same thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

If you liked "Lowest Score Wins", then an extension of the learning the swing part of it is naturally watching the 5SK videos. I would recommend taking it a step further and give your practice area enough light and space to take a video of your swing and send it to a good pro.

Even of you think you're capable of analyzing your own swing, based on my own experience and many others here, you're not. You need a trained eye to pick out the most important priority piece to work on and how to fix it and most people aren't qualified for that. It's better to have someone with years of experience and know how who has seen tons of swings.

And because you're hitting into a net and not looking at your ball flight, you'll concentrate more on your swing than getting the ball to behave the way you want it to. That's a bonus.

Choosing a pro is hard, but 5SK offers online lessons at a very reasonable price. If you're close to Erie, take an in person lesson. You can see the results I got with them recently on my swing thread. I would check them out at evolvr.com.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Is 5SK and evolvr.com the same thing?

Oy, that is a confusing statement, my bad. I should have worded it, you can get online lessons from 5SK instructors on Evolvr . Evolvr is where you get online lessons. 5SK is a learning system.

I guess an analogy is you have Kaplan (5SK) who has a method of teaching how to do well on the SATs. Kaplan.com (Evolvr) is where you can take online classes using Kaplan's methods.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!