IGNORED

Your 2012 Golf Goals - Official Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 4098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1.Break 40 for 9 holes.

2.Break 85 for 18 holes.

3.No hosel rockets out of the blue.

4.Practice and play more.

5.Get better @ my FW woods off the deck.

:nike:Covert Tour

:wilson_staff: Fybrid RS 15*

Irons??

:tmade: Tour Preffered 54* & 60* w/ ATV grind

:rife: Trinidad Tropical

Break 85 consistently.

Always trying to improve the short game.

Play as often as possible.

DRIVER | Titleist 913D 10.5* 

WOODS | Titleist 913F.d 15* 

HYBRID | Titleist 913H 19* :titleist:

IRONS | Titleist 714 AP1 4-P :titleist:

WEDGES | Titleist Vokey 48*, 52*,56* 

PUTTER | Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 

BALL | Titleist Pro V1x  

Get back to where I was prior to my neck injury. I haven't been able to practice as much as I used to because of two bulging disks in my neck. So my game was determined by how I felt every day...it was very frustrating and definitely affected my mental game. I would get so frustrated with myself for not hitting the shots I knew I could hit. Nut it was more physical than anything. I'm feeling healthy now so this year I'm gonna keep my mind calm and just play golf. I want to end the year as a +1 or better.
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I have a lot of goals to meet since I have a lot of improvement to get through:

-Go straight to the back tees from the first round of the year and never go back; I picked up the distance and consistency with the driver to beat up on anything under 6400 yards, at least with my tee shots. Now I'd have to club down to avoid doglegs and the like were I to play from the whites. Distance wise, I have annihilated this set of tees for a while, but it's a matter of principle to move further back.

-Play at a lot more courses, since I live on Long Island. I have at least a dozen on my list, compared to the 4 or 5 I have tried. Get off the baby sized hacker courses and play Tallgrass, a links course especially, one over 7000 yards, and a few that are considered tough tests due to their layout. I need to get up to speed, of course, so I will try to get out to real courses by May. Bethpage Red I intend to play this year, and perhaps even the Black course, though it's a hardship to get on. Most likely that one will wait until later.

-Putt better, and really focus. I hadn't built up a consistent routine and setup until about this January, and I intend to make putting a serious part of my game where it was essentially a formality before. I ditched the mallet and my dad's graphite and aluminum toothpick and have an anser style milled putter, which I align and swing much better.

-Get my score down to below 80. A tall order, for someone who hasn't broken 100 on a regulation course; but I have built a repeating swing over the winter as well as getting a full set of modern clubs, though some tweaks may be in order. I have the distance of Zeus, athletic ability, and the ability to hit great shots; all I have to do is command those things on about half of my holes per round. Many people are scratch or better without the advantages I have, so I want to utilize the advantages while I'm still 22 and limber.

-Get people to stop saying "You've got some good distance, but...", and stop offering me advice when they see me hit a bad shot. Not only is it annoying and every golfer over 29 does it, I know they should be either too awed to speak or congratulating me on a great shot.

-Improve my approaches, especially from 100 yards and in. Too often do I split the fairway on a drive, only to mishit the second shot. If I had the wedge game to go with my driving my handicap would be a lot lower. Hitting off the grass with irons is another mental block of mine, which is essentially half of this game. I need to be able to bury my shot in the heart of the green from the fairway.

-Keep an actual handicap, and maintain it at a maximum of 16 between May and October. This is a pretty low goal, I think I'm capable of getting down to about a 10 this year, with some lower rounds in the mid 70s. The first 10 strokes will probably be gone already.

-Get some scores below par; I've gotten plenty of pars, but I always blow my birdie putts. I want to, at the very minimum, birdie at least one par 3, 4, and 5, and an eagle at a par 5 wouldn't hurt.

-Play with people besides my one golfing friend and my dad. Both are terrible and won't improve much ever. I'd rather find a match play partner or someone better than me to play with. Playing with my dad is great for spending time with him, but he can't play that well and doesn't enjoy grinding through a long round.

-There are a few nemesis holes out there, I'd like to take some revenge on them. #1 at HCC, #9 at Gull Haven, #s 1, 5, 14 and 16 at Heatherwood, and the fairway of #2 at Spring Lake's Sandpiper course, which ate my damn ball. I will never forget. I'd like to birdie them all, of course, but turning them from nemesis holes to nemesis greens only would be great. None of them are particularly hard, either, they just get the best of me.

2011 was a year of golfing often for me, but it was ruined by crappy weather and my own slow progress. I intend to build a solid game this time around, with my rebooted swing.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My philosophy to self-improvement right now is the following:

-Reach green in no greater strokes than 1 over regulation

-Consistently 1-chip on (if at all) and 2-putt.

This should lead me to realizing my overall score goal which is to break 108 . (double bogey golf)

Also- I tend to have trouble on the back nine. I have played a round where I scored a 53 on the front, but then botched the back 9 to hell and ended up with a 120. I would like to work on improving my consistency through a round of 18.

My overall goal is to break 80 consistently.  To do this,

Strategies:

1)  Play at least once per week

2)  Range at least once per week

3)  Practice green as least once per week

Tactics:

1)  Elevate drives, get hands high in the back swing.  Work the ball both directions.

2)  Ball striking with irons.  Work on picking the middle irons and getting shallower divots with short irons.

3)  Release the putter head down the line.

Personal Approach:

1)  Get in better shape

2)  Stretch for flexibility

3)  Work on visualization

4)  Course management, play to strengths

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Having only 8 rounds of golf under my belt, I am looking to improve everywhere but in terms of scoring, my goals are getting below 100 consistently (currently, my best round is 110).   To get there, I believe what I need to do is improve my short game and especially putting..    (That 110 would've likely been in the high 90's if I could putt worth a darn).

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Break 80 and do it consistently. Get to single figure h/c Get "golf fit"

In the bag:

R11s Driver

R9 3 Wood

R9 5 Wood

TM 2009 Hybrid

MP59 5 - PW

Vokey SM 4 50

Vokey Sm 4 60

Vokey SM 4 54

Ping D66 Putter

One of my big goals is to learn how to hit my goddamn 3-wood off the tee. No idea why, but I have a tendency to hook the crap out of it a lot of the time. I don't have that problem with any other clubs. Oddly enough, I have no problem hitting the 3-wood off the fairway. Maybe I should just skip teeing it up and hit it off the deck.

-Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hit 1000 balls in the offseason (im roughly at 700)

Not have a 9hole round above 50.

Break 90

reenter league play.

walk more.

I am building a short list of nice courses I havent hit or would like to hit again, going to pic one (or more) and hit it.

loose 15lb (im at 8lb)

Play a round with my brother that live out of state, we missed last year.

have fun...

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

I currently have a couple basic goals.

1. Get to the point where I am hitting under 90 consistently.

2. Become more accurate, keep the balls on the fairway more. (been fitted properly. Won't fix it but might help)

3. Get my wife out golfing more.

4. Get out practicing at the range, putting greens and bunkers more often, as well as play more rounds (total of 3 - 4 times a week)

1.) Get my handicap back to single digits. I feel like my games finally back to a place where that can happen this year

2.) Win a season-long bet with my buddy. We play each round match play and then a season long stroke play. I used to beat him like a drum, but he's destroyed me the last 2 years

• 2 weeks later...

So far this year I've shot 95 (1st round of the year), 92 (second round), 89, 89, 90, 88.

My goal for this year is simply to get my scores below 85 (or a 12 hdcp).

Note: This thread is 4098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!