IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will give it a try.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hitting the ball great right now. Mostly just working on my Extensor Action which really keeps my swing compact and controlled feeling. It also seems to really help me nail one of my priority pieces which is to keep my shoulder pitch from getting too exaggerated. I was measuring at 45* at A4 because I was over doing the "left shoulder down", now I'm consistently around 34*-35*.

Ball flight is nice and high and is sticking to the greens nicely. Misses tend to be pulls and seem to be most common when I over swing a bit. As long as I stop my backswing before I lose that straight right arm feel I usually stay on target. Picked up a buttload of distance with this shorter backswing too! In fact, running out of fairway and over shooting has been hurting my scores LOL. My 60* wedge has taken over a lot of shots that used to belong to my 56*.

Anyway, submitted to Evolvr today and am looking forward to what they have to say. Here's the videos I submit for those of you who are interested. Feel free to comment, even if it's just to make fun of my "net".

Not sure if this matters all that much, but I just noticed that I have negative shaft lean in this picture. Roughly the same degree of lean as my Erie videos but back instead of forward. Could be the ball was a bit too far forward for a 6iron. I also deleted the film from the other swings during this session so I dunno if I just chose a weird one or if there's a pattern there. I guess I'll have to wait to see what Evolvr say unless one of y'all has a comment? Hitting the ball well regardless but this just jumped out at me today as odd.

Hands aren't as forward at impact either, bordering on the edge of a flip?

Just thought I'd tag @cbrian , pretty sure he's my current Evolvr coach. I'm not looking for freebies or anything but some of the discussion in this thread today should have been included in my Evolvr notes. I made some observations long after uploading. This way, if he's around and bored, he can get more info on how and what I'm doing to get to where he want's me to be. Also thought it be good for him to know who I am on TST.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Also thought it be good for him to know who I am on TST.

ooohhh... not sure this is such a good idea.... :-P

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

ooohhh... not sure this is such a good idea....

Ha Ha! Hey wait...wadya mean???

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

ooohhh... not sure this is such a good idea....

Ha Ha! Hey wait...wadya mean???

I kid... I kid.....

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Not sure if this matters all that much, but I just noticed that I have negative shaft lean in this picture. Roughly the same degree of lean as my Erie videos but back instead of forward. Could be the ball was a bit too far forward for a 6iron. I also deleted the film from the other swings during this session so I dunno if I just chose a weird one or if there's a pattern there. I guess I'll have to wait to see what Evolvr say unless one of y'all has a comment? Hitting the ball well regardless but this just jumped out at me today as odd.

Hands aren't as forward at impact either, bordering on the edge of a flip?

It looks like you're stance is a wider on the right vs. your Erie photo. Is that intentional? For myself, I find it's easier to do the hip slide and get my weight to my left when I have a narrow stance such as you're doing in the Erie photo. Sorry if that's not helpful or something you're already aware of.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

It looks like you're stance is a wider on the right vs. your Erie photo. Is that intentional? For myself, I find it's easier to do the hip slide and get my weight to my left when I have a narrow stance such as you're doing in the Erie photo. Sorry if that's not helpful or something you're already aware of.

Yes, it definitely is. I find stance width varies a lot from day to day, not to mention the lie or surface you're standing on. FWIW, I agree this is a bit wider than my "normal" stance.  I also find weight transfer easier with a narrower stance but this one is still within my comfort zone.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Could you post a pic of the top of your backswing on here or on your swing thread?  I looked at a couple of Rory's and Adam Scotts's swings and they are still maintaing s straight lead arm. They just have a much bigger shoulder turn than I do while maintaining that straight lead arm.

@Jakester23

Just a screen shot from the video above. I wouldn't recommend using me as a model though...lol

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Hit the course on the way to work this morning. Didn't putt anything out, just worked on tee shots and approaches. Spotty contact, lots of thins, still hit a fair amount of GIR and nGIR (played 8 holes and hit 3 GIR and 2 nGIR) but it's not very satisfying getting them with crappy shots. Might drill key#2 a bit with the squishy ball under the foot after work...or just go play golf... :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Camera view is not the same. It's back quite a bit on the right. On the left one it's square to you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Camera view is not the same. It's back quite a bit on the right. On the left one it's square to you.

Thanks. It's kinda stupid how easy it is to shoot a bad angle when you're not standing on a square practice mat. I'll try to be more diligent with this. Hope it's still good enough for Evolvr, that's the same video I submitted. :~(

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Thanks. It's kinda stupid how easy it is to shoot a bad angle when you're not standing on a square practice mat. I'll try to be more diligent with this. Hope it's still good enough for Evolvr, that's the same video I submitted.

You might not believe some of the camera views we've gotten on evolvr…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just look at all the wacked out angles on YouTube. Camera on ground. 60ft back. The bubble level helps. Even my el cheapo $20 tripod has one.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I will give it a try.

I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Ernie, I tried it.  Didn't work.  I think I am just going to try the MGS swing....

Seriously though, the feel did not actually work for me.  I have had limited success with the "feel" of stopping the hands at waist height.

-Matt-

Ernie, I tried it.  Didn't work.  I think I am just going to try the MGS swing.... Seriously though, the feel did not actually work for me.  I have had limited success with the "feel" of stopping the hands at waist height.

I would try LPG first. It's Logman approved.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Thanks. It's kinda stupid how easy it is to shoot a bad angle when you're not standing on a square practice mat. I'll try to be more diligent with this. Hope it's still good enough for Evolvr, that's the same video I submitted. :~(

Sorry, I didn't notice the camera angle being a bit off, so obviously disregard what I said about your address position. As for the camera placement issue, I usually set up a camera by placing an alignment stick on the ground perpendicular to my target line as my center line, and then another stick perpendicular to that (parallel to the target line) like I'm making a big "T." I square my camera to that and just stand over the sticks when I hit.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Any idea who is doing my analysis on his one?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!