IGNORED

Elbow Position and Its Effects on the Downswing

iacas
Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From my observation it seems the good players get their trailing elbow against their body at A5.

The picture can be a little misleading. Yes the elbow is "against" the body but it's also in the act of straightening. Lag is created because the weight is moving forward and the arms are releasing down. Release meaning the trail arm is flexed about 90 degrees at A4 and by A7.7 it's pretty straight.  They aren't "holding" the elbow against their sides.

Haven't visited this thread in a while. @iacas, have you moved on from a pitch elbow focus? I think you told me once that pitch elbow is overrated.

Does the shaft position not being too steep in a "pinch" elbow position still rely on compensations to stay on plane?

I think Erik meant "overrated" in terms of the perception that pitch elbow equals perfect swing. Pitch, punch, somewhere in between, it can all work.

You generally don't see good players flex the trail elbow past 90 deg rees or have the elbow behind the shirt seam at A4.

Quick example of what I mean, two different elbow locations but neither is flexed past 90 and both trail elbows are in front of the shirt seam.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure what you're asking. Some players are better off in pitch elbow, some what I call "pinch," some are fine with punch. Very few get to push elbow and play well, but it's a spectrum, and all are okay depending on other things.

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/54238/elbow-position-and-its-effects-on-the-downswing/210#post_1065675"] I think Erik meant "overrated" in terms of the perception that pitch elbow equals perfect swing. Pitch, punch, somewhere in between, it can all work. [/quote]Thanks, guys. This answers my question.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The right elbow is key, if it doesn't drop down an slide across the stomach your will end up slicing the ball.

Always birdies and pars, Henry The room for improvement is vast that three lifetimes could be spent roaming the fairways,carving away at it, convinced that prefection lies just over the next rise. And that hope,perhaps,is the kindest bliss of all that golf bestows upon its devotees. - John Updike

• Administrator
The right elbow is key, if it doesn't drop down an slide across the stomach your will end up slicing the ball.

What about Jim Furyk?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

look at him in vidoe from behind , his right elbow comes down and slides across the stomach. Players alot of different backswings but one main thing is there right elbow comes down and slides across the stomach. That's what i'm working on thru lessons at golf tec. Looking at vidoes of pros and my swings. If the right elbow is away from the body you are going to slice the ball.

Always birdies and pars, Henry The room for improvement is vast that three lifetimes could be spent roaming the fairways,carving away at it, convinced that prefection lies just over the next rise. And that hope,perhaps,is the kindest bliss of all that golf bestows upon its devotees. - John Updike

Oh! By the way love your book!

Mid iron on the left. Driver on the right

A5. Close to level on the left, right elbow is slightly lower.

A6

Is the similar 'punch' elbow delivery of Furyk and Nicklaus related to their also similar upright swing planes / position at the top? Or is that just a coincidence?

Kevin

DTL view of 150 yd pitching wedge

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoplayer.aspx?id=32507

Looks like a R arm 'piston' hit on top of a small pivot. R elbow action seems similar to Moe Norman's approach (pulls R elbow back / deep) on backswing.

Doesn't seem to me like enough potential energy in the length of swing for 150 yards with a 46* or higher club, unless it was real low, though.

Kevin

If the right elbow is away from the body you are going to slice the ball.

I don't buy it. My right elbow is away from my body and I don't slice. Hell, I was actually trying to hit cuts today and I couldn't do it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Have you seen a video of your swing from behind. Don't claim to know it all, but taking lessons over the last 2 years to get rid of my slice an seeing videos that one thing sticks out. More then likely your pulling the ball ( it' most likely why you can't hit cuts, just my guess)

What i see thru lessons is that if the elbow does not drop and slide you are going to be over the top with your swing either a lot or a litlle.

• Administrator
Have you seen a video of your swing from behind. Don't claim to know it all, but taking lessons over the last 2 years to get rid of my slice an seeing videos that one thing sticks out. More then likely your pulling the ball ( it' most likely why you can't hit cuts, just my guess)

He doesn't hit pulls. And pulls would be conducive to hitting fades (path is left in both).

Plus, I'm not sure where you're getting this stuff… but Furyk's right elbow is trapped behind his right hip.

What i see thru lessons is that if the elbow does not drop and slide you are going to be over the top with your swing either a lot or a litlle.

That may be true for you. Others are different.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Erik answered already, but yea, I don't hit pulls. If I did, it'd be easier to hit a cut. That's why most slicers hit pull-slices, because their path is left.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Is the similar 'punch' elbow delivery of Furyk and Nicklaus related to their also similar upright swing planes / position at the top? Or is that just a coincidence?

Yes, most guys that have a higher lead arm will have the trail arm more punch.

Erik already addressed this but you can certainly draw the ball with the elbow "behind" you. Both these guys do.

And the opposite is also true, you can have the elbow more in front, swing left and hit cuts like these guys are doing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3451 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!