Jump to content
IGNORED

Your Workout Today


iacas

Recommended Posts

I saw this pop up on my feed and I probably have posted in it before, but here goes.  Yesterday (which I guess defeats some of the purpose of this thread since it isn't today), I pressed 85 pounds and deadlifted 195.  I then biked for a little over 8 miles.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Shindig said:

 Yesterday (which I guess defeats some of the purpose of this thread since it isn't today), I pressed 85 pounds and deadlifted 195.  I then biked for a little over 8 miles.  

Yesterday I mowed my large and steep front lawn, not on a riding mower.  Then I succumbed to two gin & tonics.  I thought about riding my bike for 8 miles but went to the range instead and hit a bucket of balls.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yesterday I mowed my large and steep front lawn, not on a riding mower.  Then I succumbed to two gin & tonics.  I thought about riding my bike for 8 miles but went to the range instead and hit a bucket of balls.

If you are still feeling it today then it counts

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yesterday I mowed my large and steep front lawn, not on a riding mower.  Then I succumbed to two gin & tonics.  I thought about riding my bike for 8 miles but went to the range instead and hit a bucket of balls.

Nice.  You should have done the "long bunker shots, how to practice at home" drill from LSW though to go with all this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today, my workout will consist of loading, lifting, aiming, shooting my 38sp firearm at the range. Yesterday, I got an injection in my knee for arthritis so a day of resting it is probably not a bad idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today after work, I had a great workout.  Bench press 3x5x130 lbs (I plan to continue at this weight until I can comfortably do 3x8;  same with press and squats), deadlifted 200 lbs (3 iterations:  2, 3, 3 lifts each) and then went for a bike ride (11.8 miles, walked the bike for about a third of a mile in there though).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last night I had a 21 mile bike ride and, for the first time in a decade, I had a bike ride that wasn't basically flat and for which I didn't have to get off the bike to walk up a hill (I had to walk across one intersection because I haven't quite figured out how to stay on a bike at a red light and I didn't get on fast enough where I felt I would make it across).  There are still some routes in my area that I'm building up to.

This morning, barbell exercises.  I evidently reduced my bench press from my last post?   Anyway, 3x8x115 lbs for squats (will increase to 125 lbs next time), 2x4x205 for deadlift (my goal is to build to an iteration of 1x6 before increasing weight), and 3x6x125 bench press (goal of 3x8x125 before increasing to 135).

This morning's weigh-in (pre-exercise, also pre-eating today) was 159.5 lbs, down from 170 lbs mid-June.  Last two rounds of golf averaged 208 with driver despite some less-than-stellar pokes being averaged into there.  Weight and golf scores down, driving distance up, I need to write that next to the squat rack for next time I ask myself if I really want to do that lift today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Last night I had a 21 mile bike ride and, for the first time in a decade, I had a bike ride that wasn't basically flat and for which I didn't have to get off the bike to walk up a hill (I had to walk across one intersection because I haven't quite figured out how to stay on a bike at a red light and I didn't get on fast enough where I felt I would make it across).  There are still some routes in my area that I'm building up to.

This morning, barbell exercises.  I evidently reduced my bench press from my last post?   Anyway, 3x8x115 lbs for squats (will increase to 125 lbs next time), 2x4x205 for deadlift (my goal is to build to an iteration of 1x6 before increasing weight), and 3x6x125 bench press (goal of 3x8x125 before increasing to 135).

This morning's weigh-in (pre-exercise, also pre-eating today) was 159.5 lbs, down from 170 lbs mid-June.  Last two rounds of golf averaged 208 with driver despite some less-than-stellar pokes being averaged into there.  Weight and golf scores down, driving distance up, I need to write that next to the squat rack for next time I ask myself if I really want to do that lift today.

How old are you ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Last night I had a 21 mile bike ride and, for the first time in a decade, I had a bike ride that wasn't basically flat and for which I didn't have to get off the bike to walk up a hill (I had to walk across one intersection because I haven't quite figured out how to stay on a bike at a red light and I didn't get on fast enough where I felt I would make it across).  There are still some routes in my area that I'm building up to.

This morning, barbell exercises.  I evidently reduced my bench press from my last post?   Anyway, 3x8x115 lbs for squats (will increase to 125 lbs next time), 2x4x205 for deadlift (my goal is to build to an iteration of 1x6 before increasing weight), and 3x6x125 bench press (goal of 3x8x125 before increasing to 135).

This morning's weigh-in (pre-exercise, also pre-eating today) was 159.5 lbs, down from 170 lbs mid-June.  Last two rounds of golf averaged 208 with driver despite some less-than-stellar pokes being averaged into there.  Weight and golf scores down, driving distance up, I need to write that next to the squat rack for next time I ask myself if I really want to do that lift today.

Nice work, @Shindig!  Can I ask how tall you are?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Nice work, @Shindig!  Can I ask how tall you are?

Still young enough for heavy weights. When you hit 40-45 you may want to re evaluate your workout. The body changes a lot over the years. 

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

Late 30s, but prior to 2020, I hadn't done much weight exercises since about 2012.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Nice work, @Shindig!  Can I ask how tall you are?

Sure.  5'8 or 5'9, depending who you ask (I haven't measured by myself in over a decade, and I get one of those two answers every time someone else does).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, JCrane said:

Still young enough for heavy weights. When you hit 40-45 you may want to re evaluate your workout. The body changes a lot over the years. 

 

Not sure what height has to do with age but ok.  I only asked based on what he said he weighed and how far he hits his drives.

That said, you're absolutely right, age is a factor in training but it's really dependent on what you're doing and your body.  I'm fortunate in that although I'm climbing in age more rapidly than I'd like to think about, training wise, I'm not at all in a position where I have to make substantive changes.

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Sure.  5'8 or 5'9, depending who you ask (I haven't measured by myself in over a decade, and I get one of those two answers every time someone else does).

I see many drives much further than your current average given your height and weight if you keep up with it.  I've gained a few pounds of muscle since I started playing golf a few years ago and have def seen my distances increase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

I see many drives much further than your current average given your height and weight if you keep up with it.  I've gained a few pounds of muscle since I started playing golf a few years ago and have def seen my distances increase.

Oh, for sure.  There are plenty of PGA Tour players of my height and weight.  They hit it far further than I do :-)  

And speaking of driving distance, I really should return to Speed Sticks.  In fact, I'm going to move them from my golf room (why are they there?  I don't swing them inside) to the door to my loggia so I can use them tomorrow outside.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Not sure what height has to do with age but ok.  I only asked based on what he said he weighed and how far he hits his drives.

That said, you're absolutely right, age is a factor in training but it's really dependent on what you're doing and your body.  I'm fortunate in that although I'm climbing in age more rapidly than I'd like to think about, training wise, I'm not at all in a position where I have to make substantive changes.

I see many drives much further than your current average given your height and weight if you keep up with it.  I've gained a few pounds of muscle since I started playing golf a few years ago and have def seen my distances increase.

I only asked about age not height.  Age is what we have to look out for because it creeps up I would add some mobility exercises in as you go along. As I look at peoples workouts, I rarely see them incorporating mobility exercises into their routines. Weight lifters   especially do add muscle, but at the same time are tightening that muscle, by creating tension. The muscle needs to be strong but flexible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, JCrane said:

I only asked about age not height.  Age is what we have to look out for because it creeps up I would add some mobility exercises in as you go along. As I look at peoples workouts, I rarely see them incorporating mobility exercises into their routines. Weight lifters   especially do add muscle, but at the same time are tightening that muscle, by creating tension. The muscle needs to be strong but flexible.

Not going to lie, I'm terrible at keeping up with mobility exercises.

Stretching after training is also important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Not going to lie, I'm terrible at keeping up with mobility exercises.

Stretching after training is also important.

Don't feel alone. Most people don't understand them. I have been crucified  on this forum for illustrating them, so now I only post to older golfers because the young ones only believe in weights.  As we age the muscles tend to tighten up and that is when we need the stretching the most. 

 

3 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Does golf count as a workout 😊  If so, 18 holes.  Otherwise nothing 🤦‍♂️

Actually the walking does count, but you could enhance that by carrying your clubs overhead, jogging in-between holes, and doing jumping jacks when you sink a put . 

  • Funny 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • Went 6 days with no golf due to course closures here at Pinehurst. Played #8 today and surprisingly played well, 12/14 fairways, 9 GIR and 29 putts. 39/38 for a 77. The Groundskeepers built a snowman on the Par 5 6th. A few fairways still had some snow in some locations but the course was playable. Good to get out again.   But more snow is possible this Friday into Saturday.
    • Bill Haas could hit it 25 yards farther, but hates seeing the ball get really high up in the air. He feels like he has very little control over it when it gets up there.
    • Finished Spider-Man and Miles Morales. What fun games. The web slinging through the city lives up to the hype as well as knowing what it's like to have the powers of Spider-Man and the fights never got old. The story for S-M and MM were both very good and they got a lot of details of Manhattan right, although the map was off. Almost finished with God of War and did not expect it to be so good. Having your son along the whole way enhances the story so much. Next up will be Death Stranding and then Bloodborne probably. Going through the Playstation exclusives.
    • Does this answer it for you? FlightScope Speed & Acceleration Profiles - Launch Monitor, Golf Ball Tracking | Golf Simulators | FlightScope.com Find out why FlightScope golf launch monitors' speed & acceleration profiles are huge for club fitting. Check our sample data sets to see it for yourself. Or this? Oh, I gotcha now. The stand has some nice features, but mainly… I can note what notch creates a tilt of 12°, or 17° as preferred by Awesome Golf, or 16° or whatever… and then put the back leg in those notches without needing the tool. I can also do this more easily on uneven floors — in either direction — to adjust for the tilt or roll of the floor itself. If my floor slopes down and to the left, 12° with the tool won't be 12° and level with the Mevo+, so I can use the screw legs to adjust the Mevo+ to be 12°/0°.
    • Lineups are due today (okay, tomorrow morning) because this week's event they are playing Wed-Saturday, so you can focus on football this Sunday.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BraxtonGolf
      BraxtonGolf
      (26 years old)
    2. Dan2501
      Dan2501
      (32 years old)
    3. Finch
      Finch
      (35 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...