IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

I saw this pop up on my feed and I probably have posted in it before, but here goes.  Yesterday (which I guess defeats some of the purpose of this thread since it isn't today), I pressed 85 pounds and deadlifted 195.  I then biked for a little over 8 miles.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Yesterday (which I guess defeats some of the purpose of this thread since it isn't today), I pressed 85 pounds and deadlifted 195.  I then biked for a little over 8 miles.  

Yesterday I mowed my large and steep front lawn, not on a riding mower.  Then I succumbed to two gin & tonics.  I thought about riding my bike for 8 miles but went to the range instead and hit a bucket of balls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yesterday I mowed my large and steep front lawn, not on a riding mower.  Then I succumbed to two gin & tonics.  I thought about riding my bike for 8 miles but went to the range instead and hit a bucket of balls.

If you are still feeling it today then it counts

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Nice.  You should have done the "long bunker shots, how to practice at home" drill from LSW though to go with all this.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Today, my workout will consist of loading, lifting, aiming, shooting my 38sp firearm at the range. Yesterday, I got an injection in my knee for arthritis so a day of resting it is probably not a bad idea. 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Today after work, I had a great workout.  Bench press 3x5x130 lbs (I plan to continue at this weight until I can comfortably do 3x8;  same with press and squats), deadlifted 200 lbs (3 iterations:  2, 3, 3 lifts each) and then went for a bike ride (11.8 miles, walked the bike for about a third of a mile in there though).

-- Michael | My swing! 

Last night I had a 21 mile bike ride and, for the first time in a decade, I had a bike ride that wasn't basically flat and for which I didn't have to get off the bike to walk up a hill (I had to walk across one intersection because I haven't quite figured out how to stay on a bike at a red light and I didn't get on fast enough where I felt I would make it across).  There are still some routes in my area that I'm building up to.

This morning, barbell exercises.  I evidently reduced my bench press from my last post?   Anyway, 3x8x115 lbs for squats (will increase to 125 lbs next time), 2x4x205 for deadlift (my goal is to build to an iteration of 1x6 before increasing weight), and 3x6x125 bench press (goal of 3x8x125 before increasing to 135).

This morning's weigh-in (pre-exercise, also pre-eating today) was 159.5 lbs, down from 170 lbs mid-June.  Last two rounds of golf averaged 208 with driver despite some less-than-stellar pokes being averaged into there.  Weight and golf scores down, driving distance up, I need to write that next to the squat rack for next time I ask myself if I really want to do that lift today.

-- Michael | My swing! 

52 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Last night I had a 21 mile bike ride and, for the first time in a decade, I had a bike ride that wasn't basically flat and for which I didn't have to get off the bike to walk up a hill (I had to walk across one intersection because I haven't quite figured out how to stay on a bike at a red light and I didn't get on fast enough where I felt I would make it across).  There are still some routes in my area that I'm building up to.

This morning, barbell exercises.  I evidently reduced my bench press from my last post?   Anyway, 3x8x115 lbs for squats (will increase to 125 lbs next time), 2x4x205 for deadlift (my goal is to build to an iteration of 1x6 before increasing weight), and 3x6x125 bench press (goal of 3x8x125 before increasing to 135).

This morning's weigh-in (pre-exercise, also pre-eating today) was 159.5 lbs, down from 170 lbs mid-June.  Last two rounds of golf averaged 208 with driver despite some less-than-stellar pokes being averaged into there.  Weight and golf scores down, driving distance up, I need to write that next to the squat rack for next time I ask myself if I really want to do that lift today.

How old are you ? 

13 minutes ago, JCrane said:

How old are you ? 

Late 30s, but prior to 2020, I hadn't done much weight exercises since about 2012.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Nice work, @Shindig!  Can I ask how tall you are?

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

11 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Still young enough for heavy weights. When you hit 40-45 you may want to re evaluate your workout. The body changes a lot over the years. 

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

Late 30s, but prior to 2020, I hadn't done much weight exercises since about 2012.  

14 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Sure.  5'8 or 5'9, depending who you ask (I haven't measured by myself in over a decade, and I get one of those two answers every time someone else does).

-- Michael | My swing! 

6 minutes ago, JCrane said:

Still young enough for heavy weights. When you hit 40-45 you may want to re evaluate your workout. The body changes a lot over the years. 

Not sure what height has to do with age but ok.  I only asked based on what he said he weighed and how far he hits his drives.

That said, you're absolutely right, age is a factor in training but it's really dependent on what you're doing and your body.  I'm fortunate in that although I'm climbing in age more rapidly than I'd like to think about, training wise, I'm not at all in a position where I have to make substantive changes.

5 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Sure.  5'8 or 5'9, depending who you ask (I haven't measured by myself in over a decade, and I get one of those two answers every time someone else does).

I see many drives much further than your current average given your height and weight if you keep up with it.  I've gained a few pounds of muscle since I started playing golf a few years ago and have def seen my distances increase.

Christian

58 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

I see many drives much further than your current average given your height and weight if you keep up with it.  I've gained a few pounds of muscle since I started playing golf a few years ago and have def seen my distances increase.

Oh, for sure.  There are plenty of PGA Tour players of my height and weight.  They hit it far further than I do :-)  

And speaking of driving distance, I really should return to Speed Sticks.  In fact, I'm going to move them from my golf room (why are they there?  I don't swing them inside) to the door to my loggia so I can use them tomorrow outside.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

12 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Not sure what height has to do with age but ok.  I only asked based on what he said he weighed and how far he hits his drives.

That said, you're absolutely right, age is a factor in training but it's really dependent on what you're doing and your body.  I'm fortunate in that although I'm climbing in age more rapidly than I'd like to think about, training wise, I'm not at all in a position where I have to make substantive changes.

I only asked about age not height.  Age is what we have to look out for because it creeps up I would add some mobility exercises in as you go along. As I look at peoples workouts, I rarely see them incorporating mobility exercises into their routines. Weight lifters   especially do add muscle, but at the same time are tightening that muscle, by creating tension. The muscle needs to be strong but flexible.

12 hours ago, JCrane said:

I only asked about age not height.  Age is what we have to look out for because it creeps up I would add some mobility exercises in as you go along. As I look at peoples workouts, I rarely see them incorporating mobility exercises into their routines. Weight lifters   especially do add muscle, but at the same time are tightening that muscle, by creating tension. The muscle needs to be strong but flexible.

Not going to lie, I'm terrible at keeping up with mobility exercises.

Stretching after training is also important.

Christian

Does golf count as a workout 😊  If so, 18 holes.  Otherwise nothing 🤦‍♂️

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

10 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Not going to lie, I'm terrible at keeping up with mobility exercises.

Stretching after training is also important.

Don't feel alone. Most people don't understand them. I have been crucified  on this forum for illustrating them, so now I only post to older golfers because the young ones only believe in weights.  As we age the muscles tend to tighten up and that is when we need the stretching the most. 

3 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Does golf count as a workout 😊  If so, 18 holes.  Otherwise nothing 🤦‍♂️

Actually the walking does count, but you could enhance that by carrying your clubs overhead, jogging in-between holes, and doing jumping jacks when you sink a put . 

• Funny 1