IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

We were also talking about the effects I was feeling (my last Crossfit workout was on Friday night) - on Saturday morning... I still felt like I had a metallic taste in my throat - and chest was still kind of sore or felt like it was strained from breathing.  My buddy said he had the same exact thing... And he believed it was the body not being able to process the amount of oxygen intake - coupled with your heart rate hitting some upper limits when doing extrenuous type of workout like Crossfit?

This is something that I always experience over the summer when I'm doing my track workouts.  I typically do sprint work of the following:

two to four 800m sprints or

four to six 400m sprints (65-75s pace) or

four to eight 200m sprints or

eight to sixteen 100m sprints

The first week or two I will get a bad cough and sore throat.  Especially after the first day.  And sometimes I will be coughing for the next 24-48 hours.  At the end of last summer, I was running as fast and hard as I have since college track workouts when I was an actual athlete.  That's the kind of high-intensity workout I'm looking for.  However I don't want to do some of the strengthening workouts because I already lift in the mornings.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

This is something that I always experience over the summer when I'm doing my track workouts.  I typically do sprint work of the following:

two to four 800m sprints or

four to six 400m sprints (65-75s pace) or

four to eight 200m sprints or

eight to sixteen 100m sprints

The first week or two I will get a bad cough and sore throat.  Especially after the first day.  And sometimes I will be coughing for the next 24-48 hours.  At the end of last summer, I was running as fast and hard as I have since college track workouts when I was an actual athlete.  That's the kind of high-intensity workout I'm looking for.  However I don't want to do some of the strengthening workouts because I already lift in the mornings.

Good to hear I'm not the only guy with this type of issue.  I really hope it subsides as it sucks and kind of makes the experience not as fulfilling.  You are definitely in better shape than me - and bigger.

The other thing that I am finding from talking to peeps into the whole Crossfit kick is that you don't have to spend your 'entire day' in the gym.  You get in... You rock out... And then you're done.  I like that idea.  Shock the system, and move on to something else - like practicing golf!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cross Fit is kicking my ass into shape.  This last primary workout we did was called 'Annie'.  But before we did 'Annie' we did the following workout:

1.) 800m lap outside

2.) Walking V's into push-up... From one end of the room to the other.  Down and Back.

3.) Waling lunges... From one end of the room to the other.  Down and Back.

4.) Pull-ups - 3 sets until failure.  I was only able to do 10 for my max set.  The other two sets I did 8 and 6.

5.) Then came 'Annie'

Rotation / Alternate / No Break - Go continuously until you complete the following:

- Jump Rope 80/60/40/20

- Sit-ups 40/30/20/10

I was toast at the end... And was happy with my 12:32 time to complete.

I highly recommend you guys check out a local Cross Fit gym.  They are expensive, but you should be able to buy a deal off of Groupon or Living Social to at least check it out.  It's intense.

Cross Fit is kicking my ass into shape.  This last primary workout we did was called 'Annie'.  But before we did 'Annie' we did the following workout:

1.) 800m lap outside

2.) Walking V's into push-up... From one end of the room to the other.  Down and Back.

3.) Waling lunges... From one end of the room to the other.  Down and Back.

4.) Pull-ups - 3 sets until failure.  I was only able to do 10 for my max set.  The other two sets I did 8 and 6.

5.) Then came 'Annie'

Rotation / Alternate / No Break - Go continuously until you complete the following:

- Jump Rope 80/60/40/20

- Sit-ups 40/30/20/10

I was toast at the end... And was happy with my 12:32 time to complete.

I highly recommend you guys check out a local Cross Fit gym.  They are expensive, but you should be able to buy a deal off of Groupon or Living Social to at least check it out.  It's intense.

Beach,

That is intense. I'm impressed you finished it, let alone that you kept the time it took.

Do you find the class setting beneficial? Is it easier to do with a bunch of people in the same boat?

Driver - Titleist 913D2 10.5* 3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 3 15* Hybrid - Ping G20 20* Hybrid - Ping G20 23* Irons - Ping i20 5-PW KBS Tour Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM4 50* 54* 58* Putter - Tom Slighter Snubnose

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Jhwarren

Beach,

That is intense. I'm impressed you finished it, let alone that you kept the time it took.

Do you find the class setting beneficial? Is it easier to do with a bunch of people in the same boat?

The class setting is beneficial - only 8 peeps max.  With a 'coach' or instructor.  The instructor writes all of our times down on the whiteboard, and everyone's results are on display.  So it makes it interesting.  I typically go to the 6:30 PM cross fit... So I can see everyone's times for the day.  And it gives you something to shoot for - if you're competitive or in really good shape.  For me... I'm just trying to finish without passing out or throwing up.  And happy with whatever time I post.

The instructor/coach will tailor the workout to whatever you can or cannot do.  Like when doing box jumps... One lady had a bad knee.  So he had her do a modified 'jump' to prevent further injury or issues with her weak knee.  Bottom line is the workout is intense, and you will definitely get a total body workout in 60 minutes.  And burn loads of calories and build some strength and muscle while you're at it.

Oh, and I haven't been to Crossfit this week.  But I've been working out at home with bands and dumb bells.  I've been too lazy to wake up early and go to 24hr Fitness with my wife before work.  And we haven't gone to Crossfit in the evening, as my wife and I have had conflicting schedules all week (we usually go to the 5:30 or 6:30 PM Crossfit class).

My workout today.  Spend 3+ hours digging out of the 2 feet of snow we got last night.  This workout has everything!  Resistance training - lifting snow.  Cardio - shoveling snow at a constant pace.  I must remember to stretch out after finishing and to stay hydrated even though it is only 20 degrees.  I will be sore tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have to amend that workout. It was 5 hours, with a snowblower.  I did mostly shoveling.  We ended up helping neighbors whose snowblower stopped working.  But another neighbor brought out beer!  I am pretty sore this morning.  It was 2 foot average depth.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Boy, am I out of shape.  Today marked the first day of my 2-a-day workouts: weights/light cardio in the morning, and high-impact cardio or sprints in the afternoon.

I tried to run two 800s today and I ran the first one slow as molasses and the 2nd ended up being a 400.  Compare to the end of last summer when I was running 4x400s, 8x200s etc, at a much faster pace.  Lots of work to do!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The class setting is beneficial - only 8 peeps max.  With a 'coach' or instructor.  The instructor writes all of our times down on the whiteboard, and everyone's results are on display.  So it makes it interesting.  I typically go to the 6:30 PM cross fit... So I can see everyone's times for the day.  And it gives you something to shoot for - if you're competitive or in really good shape.  For me... I'm just trying to finish without passing out or throwing up.  And happy with whatever time I post.

The instructor/coach will tailor the workout to whatever you can or cannot do.  Like when doing box jumps... One lady had a bad knee.  So he had her do a modified 'jump' to prevent further injury or issues with her weak knee.  Bottom line is the workout is intense, and you will definitely get a total body workout in 60 minutes.  And burn loads of calories and build some strength and muscle while you're at it.

Yes Yes CrossFit is the cat's ass for sure...Luckily in Afghan where I am we can do it for free but I would  pay for it if I was stateside for sure.  I had been traveling for the past 6 days and didn't get a workout in and so I knew my ass was bout to be handed to me when I showed up yesterday to workout.  I won't even mention all the stuff that we did before the workout but the WOD was:

3 Rounds For Time

400 M row

2 mins tire flip and jump overs

2 mins reverse burpee

2 mins plank then to elbows then back up to plank

2 mins double squat wall ball

I had developed a lil chest cold while I was on the road so I was seeing my life flash before my eyes!  I love the push and the motivation from the class.  I've dropped 24 pounds in the last 2 months and I just want to see how much better I can get by the end of the year.  I don't get to play any golf here but I know that it will pay off in that area also because a more fit body can't hurt.

If anyone is looking for a new workout to try, I'd definitely suggest rowing. Your gym probably has a rowing machine (an erg), and if anyone's interested I could give you some workout suggestions and tips for how to get started.

Rowing is a very healthy workout option, and it doesn't take long for you to get a great workout in. It's also both strength- AND cardio-based. I'm pretty sure it's integrated into CrossFit on some level (or, at least, it was a couple years ago) as well.

Originally Posted by spiderrower

If anyone is looking for a new workout to try, I'd definitely suggest rowing. Your gym probably has a rowing machine (an erg), and if anyone's interested I could give you some workout suggestions and tips for how to get started.

Rowing is a very healthy workout option, and it doesn't take long for you to get a great workout in. It's also both strength- AND cardio-based. I'm pretty sure it's integrated into CrossFit on some level (or, at least, it was a couple years ago) as well.

Oh yeah rowing is still in CrossFit and we pull on it almost everyday.  I pull for and hour three times per week keeping a 2 minute 500 meter split.  I also supplement any running that we do during a CrossFit workout for the rower because of a knee problem.  It is definately a fair tradeoff.  I dated a rower in college and she taught me perfect form and even though it is tough to maintain through a long workout that is what I strive for because one long and strong pull is better than three weak ones.  Pulling sprints on the rower rivals just about anythnig and it is a great workout. I think it is great for building awareness of how to use the whole body to get work done most efficiently,  which is key to a good golf swing.

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

Oh yeah rowing is still in CrossFit and we pull on it almost everyday.  I pull for and hour three times per week keeping a 2 minute 500 meter split.  I also supplement any running that we do during a CrossFit workout for the rower because of a knee problem.  It is definately a fair tradeoff.  I dated a rower in college and she taught me perfect form and even though it is tough to maintain through a long workout that is what I strive for because one long and strong pull is better than three weak ones.  Pulling sprints on the rower rivals just about anythnig and it is a great workout. I think it is great for building awareness of how to use the whole body to get work done most efficiently,  which is key to a good golf swing.

Broke 7:00 on my 2k time today at an erg sprint competition haha big day for me. (I'm not even 170lbs just to put that into perspective)

An hour @ 2:00 is pretty impressive too... it might not be a bad idea into looking into local masters leagues or rowing clubs and getting out on the water - it's the same workout and it's so much more fun and satisfying than the erg.

Originally Posted by spiderrower

Broke 7:00 on my 2k time today at an erg sprint competition haha big day for me. (I'm not even 170lbs just to put that into perspective)

An hour @ 2:00 is pretty impressive too... it might not be a bad idea into looking into local masters leagues or rowing clubs and getting out on the water - it's the same workout and it's so much more fun and satisfying than the erg.

I have never pulled on the water before and have only pulled maybe 500 meters on the rowers that has been put inside the contraption that simulates water.  My friend from college told me that I definately had a knack for it and with some work could have made a college team. 2k @ 7 mins is a good pull for sure.  It surprises me in CrossFit that even people who are in really good shape and run really well simply cannot survive more than 1000 meters or so at a strong pace on the rower before it takes their soul !!  I'll have to look into rowing clubs because I have never thought to seek them out!  Thanks!

Ok, had an awesome workout going this morning... And was ready to finish it up with 30" box jumps.  I made 14 and 3/4 jumps before I had a nice 'shave' of the right shin region.  Thank God my legs are a little hairy... Because that platform shaved the hair and the first layers (impact area maybe two layers) of skin from just above the ankle to my mid tibia region.

One word. OUCH!!!

I'm fine... But damn did that freaking hurt!  I guess I shouldn't do box jumps at the END of my workout? Who knew!?!?!?

PS. I love working out in my True Linkswear Protos... So comfy.