Overhead lunges.

Farmers carry.

Kettlebell class

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went for a long walk while attempting something that barely resembles golf. Blech. . . :-P Got my monthly pass again, shoulder is pretty well healed. My timing is so far off, I wouldn't even say I was playing "golf". I think it was more like attempting to knock a ball all around the course mostly into sandy areas.

Played ping pong for an hour yesterday, and finally broke below 200 pounds again this morning.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

finally broke below 200 pounds again this morning.

Well done!!!

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

finally broke below 200 pounds again this morning.

Well done!!!

Thanks, I feel a bit better for it too!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Went for a long walk while attempting something that barely resembles golf. Blech. . . Got my monthly pass again, shoulder is pretty well healed. My timing is so far off, I wouldn't even say I was playing "golf". I think it was more like attempting to knock a ball all around the course mostly into sandy areas.

Played ping pong for an hour yesterday, and finally broke below 200 pounds again this morning.

Is ping pong your work out? I am confused....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Are the paddles weighted?

Mike McLoughlin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Are the paddles weighted?

Well, I did break a sweat, and drank no beer during the entire process. :-D

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I hate to admit it but I have been out of shape for a long long time now. Early this year I ended up with an abdominal hernia that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. This ended up being major surgery and I have been recuperating ever since. At 62 a person tends to heal a little slower than the youngsters. One thing the surgeon said was if I didn't lose some weight, I can count on it happening again. So, I finally got serious about it and have dropped 24 pounds and work out daily. I usually work 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the stationary bike then lift weights Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I am working hard to strengthen my core. Today I walked 9 holes which took about 2 hours then when I got home I went to the gym and worked on the weights. I never thought of golf as exercise but 9 holes can be as much as 5 miles.

Hopefully the weight training will help me get some power back.

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

Well, I did break a sweat, and drank no beer during the entire process. :-D

Do you sweat when you eat too? Today's regime: Pecs and front delts Warm ups on fly machine and dumbell inclines Heavy incline dumbbells 12 @ 70# 9 @ 80# 7 @ 90# 4 @ 100# Machine flys 12 @ 150# 8 @ 170# 6 @ 200# Machine weights do translate to dead weight evenly Star trac box bench (see previous pic) 15 @ 135# 8 @ 185# 5 @ 225# Pretty tired at this point Lateral delt raises 12 @ 25# 10 @ 30# 8 @ 35# 6 @ 40# Front delt raises 12 @ 30# 10 @ 35# 8 @ 40# I should have done some military presses but I was tired so next time.

Just started a workout and diet program.  Got a Bowflex home gym.

Started noticing that there aren't a lot of fat guys over 60.  I don't think  I can get back to post-boot camp shape at 47, but I am definitely motivated to drop some weight and tone up.

Back and Biceps yesterday, today was Chest and Triceps day.  Added cardio and stretching before and after.

Legs tomorrow.  I've gotta do this.  325 is WAY too heavy - 100lbs must go.

Larry

Back, traps and rear delts today: Wide grip pull downs, upright rows and weighted close grip pull ups. Shrugs and rear delts.

Just started a workout and diet program.  Got a Bowflex home gym.

Started noticing that there aren't a lot of fat guys over 60.  I don't think  I can get back to post-boot camp shape at 47, but I am definitely motivated to drop some weight and tone up.

Back and Biceps yesterday, today was Chest and Triceps day.  Added cardio and stretching before and after.

Legs tomorrow.  I've gotta do this.  325 is WAY too heavy - 100lbs must go.

We'll be rooting for you!

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So, in an effort to improve at golf, I was thinking that I should drop some fat and add some muscle and flexibility.  I've never been a gym/workout/health first type of person.  Last month I went to get a physical from my doctor and was pronounced in good health.  I realize that I'm very fortunate to have good genes to be in good health when I don't do anything to achieve it.

I've been somewhat inspired to do this because my gf got a treadmill (an early Christmas present from her parents) which arrived last Friday.  After searching on the internet, I found a Golf Weight Training Program and also a treadmill workout and wanted to see people's thoughts.

The Weight Training Program (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-weight-training.html) is broken up into three phases, Build a Solid Foundation (Winter, 8 weeks), Develop Golf-Specific Power (Pre-season, 6 weeks), and Maintain Your Newfound Strength (In-Season, indefinite).

I plan on working on this program on Tuesday's and Thursday's and my first workout was today, I'm on the Build a Solid Foundation phase and decided to uniformly do the dumb bells at 5 pounds and to do the minimum stated reps for the exercise and get a sense of how much weight I could handle.

Thoughts on this program?

The treadmill I plan to do M/W/F (http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Treadmill-Workouts-Beginner-Advanced-18625724) which I started two days ago on Monday and I primarily think I'll do for weight loss.  I'm 6'2" and weigh 275 pounds so could use some toning up.  I'm thinking a good goal would be to lose 50 pounds over the next 4 months.  The image below is of the beginners workout which according to this site (http://www.cybexintl.com/education/fitnesstools/calcs.aspx) I would burn 485 calories a for the workout.

From poking around on the internet I was able to find that 3500 calories equals a pound of fat, so, suffice to say, I have a lot of work in front of me.  The above treadmill workout plan is for beginners so as I get more comfortable with running, I'll up the intensity.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

So, in an effort to improve at golf, I was thinking that I should drop some fat and add some muscle and flexibility.  I've never been a gym/workout/health first type of person.  Last month I went to get a physical from my doctor and was pronounced in good health.  I realize that I'm very fortunate to have good genes to be in good health when I don't do anything to achieve it.

I've been somewhat inspired to do this because my gf got a treadmill (an early Christmas present from her parents) which arrived last Friday.  After searching on the internet, I found a Golf Weight Training Program and also a treadmill workout and wanted to see people's thoughts.

The Weight Training Program (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-weight-training.html) is broken up into three phases, Build a Solid Foundation (Winter, 8 weeks), Develop Golf-Specific Power (Pre-season, 6 weeks), and Maintain Your Newfound Strength (In-Season, indefinite).

I plan on working on this program on Tuesday's and Thursday's and my first workout was today, I'm on the Build a Solid Foundation phase and decided to uniformly do the dumb bells at 5 pounds and to do the minimum stated reps for the exercise and get a sense of how much weight I could handle.

The treadmill I plan to do M/W/F (http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Treadmill-Workouts-Beginner-Advanced-18625724) which I started two days ago on Monday and I primarily think I'll do for weight loss.  I'm 6'2" and weigh 275 pounds so could use some toning up.  I'm thinking a good goal would be to lose 50 pounds over the next 4 months.  The image below is of the beginners workout which according to this site (http://www.cybexintl.com/education/fitnesstools/calcs.aspx) I would burn 485 calories a for the workout.

First off, good luck!

Some diet tips from my experience:

- Don't eat back workout calories.

- Eat a good amount of protein . Helps preserve lean muscle and fills you up.

- You'll probably lose a lot of weight fast and then plateau, that's normal. Like you said, you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories but early on you tend to lose a good amount of water weight.

- Don't get deterred if you see some fluctuation with the scale, there are a lot of things that determine weight. I can easily gain a couple pounds if I have a slightly higher carb day. It's not fat, it's just water. Try to weigh yourself at the same time everyday.

- Drink a lot of water.

Starting with 5lb dumbbells might be fine for the first week or so but you'll need to increase the weight and the incline of the treadmill. When the weight lose stalls you need to keep "pushing" yourself because your metabolism will adjust, especially if you're doing steady state cardio.

To keep it simple and stick to exercising at home, I would highly recommend adding a kettlebell to your workouts and getting this book. The kettlebell swing is great for what you're looking for, burning calories while getting stronger. You can do some research on kettlebells, I think you'll find some positive stuff.

http://www.strongfirst.com/kettlebell-simple-and-sinister/

Mike McLoughlin

From poking around on the internet I was able to find that 3500 calories equals a pound of fat, so, suffice to say, I have a lot of work in front of me.  The above treadmill workout plan is for beginners so as I get more comfortable with running, I'll up the intensity.

Thoughts?

Honest thoughts...

Ditch both programs.

If your goal is to lose fat and get in better shape, those programs will work...but aren't ideal, or even good IMO.

Working full-body twice a week with 10 exercises will not be successful in much. You'll get in better shape, because you're doing "something" that you aren't doing now, but it'll move much much slower than it needs to.

I would switch your schedule. Mon/Wed/Fri lifting on a 3 day split (Maybe a Push day, Pull day, and Leg day), and Tues/Thurs cardio.

I also don't know how I feel about the treadmill plan. It looks like some sort of modified HIIT plan, but without the high intensity. You would be better off just jogging at 4.5-5 mph for 20-30 mins. Or even riding the stationary bike.

Again, feel free to do whatever you like, as anything is better than nothing, and you'll get results. I just fear that this won't give you the results you're expecting, as quickly as you expect...and that tends to cause a lot of beginners to give up.

Ryan M

Working full-body twice a week with 10 exercises will not be successful in much. You'll get in better shape, because you're doing "something" that you aren't doing now, but it'll move much much slower than it needs to.

I would switch your schedule. Mon/Wed/Fri lifting on a 3 day split (Maybe a Push day, Pull day, and Leg day), and Tues/Thurs cardio.

Well when comparing the two options, yea the over other day split with the Push/Pull + Cardio on off days would work better because there is more activity. Calories are calories for the most part, as long as you are not totally insulin resistant with metabolic damage.

I also don't know how I feel about the treadmill plan. It looks like some sort of modified HIIT plan, but without the high intensity. You would be better off just jogging at 4.5-5 mph for 20-30 mins. Or even riding the stationary bike.

Again, feel free to do whatever you like, as anything is better than nothing, and you'll get results. I just fear that this won't give you the results you're expecting, as quickly asyou expect...and that tends to cause a lot of beginners to give up.

I would say, work up slowly towards faster speeds. Just don't get on the treadmill and go sprinting. I'd work your way up on the speed.

One of my favorite HIIT is start out at 6.0 mph for 1 minute, then walk a minute. Then every minute up the speed by 0.2 mph. I usually can get to about 8.4 mph, then I hold it there doing 1 minute sprints for as long as I can do a good 1 minute of them. Then I cool down.

6.0 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min

6.2 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min

8.4 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min

Usually I can do about 30-40 minutes cardio, and half is running.

If I want to torture myself, I would start at 7.0, work my way up to 8.0 then start increasing the incline by 1% every other minute. I always like to work my way up to the speed, my version of a warmup. Usually I always run with at least 1% on the incline.

7.0 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min

7.2 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min

7.4 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min

8.0 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min 1%

8.0 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min 2%

8.0 @ 1 min + 4.0 @ 1 min 3%

You can modify the times. Maybe go 30 seconds on 30 seconds off, but I usually up the speed if I do that. I can get up to about 9.0 mph if I do 30 seconds.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Well when comparing the two options, yea the over other day split with the Push/Pull + Cardio on off days would work better because there is more activity. Calories are calories for the most part, as long as you are not totally insulin resistant with metabolic damage.

I would say, work up slowly towards faster speeds. Just don't get on the treadmill and go sprinting. I'd work your way up on the speed.

I'm not even talking about it from a weight loss perspective. He wants to get in better athletic shape...two full body lifting days is not the way to do it IMO. You can't efficiently and effectively work your legs, back, arms, shoulders, chest, and core hard enough to make substantial progress that way. It'll be good for a couple weeks, since he isn't used to working out...but from that point on, it won't be very beneficial. If you can hit back and legs in the same day, you're not hitting either of them hard enough for real progress.

Diet is 90% of it anyway, so any exercise is just icing on the cake (bad metaphor?).

Also, if 4.5 mph is sprinting, you need to start running more. :-P

Ryan M

I'm not even talking about it from a weight loss perspective. He wants to get in better athletic shape...two full body lifting days is not the way to do it IMO. You can't efficiently and effectively work your legs, back, arms, shoulders, chest, and core hard enough to make substantial progress that way. It'll be good for a couple weeks, since he isn't used to working out...but from that point on, it won't be very beneficial. If you can hit back and legs in the same day, you're not hitting either of them hard enough for real progress.

Diet is 90% of it anyway, so any exercise is just icing on the cake (bad metaphor?).

Also, if 4.5 mph is sprinting, you need to start running more.

You did mention fat loss.

If your goal is to lose fat and get in better shape, those programs will work...but aren't ideal, or even good IMO.

I agree that doing total body 2 days a week is not optimal. That isn't to say he will not get stronger, but it wouldn't nearly be as much in terms of muscle gain as by doing a good progression.

I would say that 2 days a week with total body work outs you'd plateau but it is probably a better routine to keep the same strength you are at.

I agree that a very good chunk of it is what people eat.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: