IGNORED

Recommendations around Traverse City, MI

Note: This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finally convinced the in-laws to move the family vacation north. We're heading up to Traverse City, MI (Silver Lake) this summer. We're looking to get a few rounds in while we're up there. I've looked online at a few courses but wanted to see if anyone has recommendations/experience on where to play. I checked out Crown Golf Club (looks decent) and Lochenheath (looks very nice).

I appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Thanks!

I played the 3 courses at the Grand Traverse Resort this past October.  Of the 3, I would recommend The Bear (Jack Nicklaus Design).  It was challenging, made good use of risk reward and optical illusion.  There a few holes which use slight elevation change and high grass marsh area to trick your eye from the tee box.  The forced carry over the marsh looks much longer than it is.

Spruce Run ( William Newcomb Design ) is pretty straight forward, nothing special.  It was a good course to play with my wife who just recently picked up golf.

The Wolverine (Gary Player Design) is right between the two.  More challenging than Spruce Run, but I wasn't overly impressed.  All 3 courses were very well maintained.

I stayed at the resort and played these 3 out of convienience and lack of knowledge about how many courses were in the Traverse City area.  I talked with a few locals and they recommended many courses around the area.  Most within 30 min drive of downtown Traverse City.  I really liked the area and will definitely make a trip back to play other area courses.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a lot of great golf up this way. How far of a drive do you want to play? Lochenheath is very nice as well as The Bear. Also check out Ag-A-Ming Sundance. Great track. Also looks at the Crystal Mountain courses, Hawk's Eye, and Shanty Creek. If you want to drive a little TreeTops, Otsego Club, Boyne courses, The Natural, Bay Harbor and Arcadia Bluffs. PM me if you want some more info. We have a cottage on Crystal Lake in Frankfort and my dad lives in Elk Rapids in the summer so play quite a bit of golf up that way.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

• 2 weeks later...

Arcadia Bluffs is only about 90 minutes from Silver Lake (60 minutes from Traverse City) - well worth the drive and the fees.

There are plenty of other choices, but Arcadia is a destination course.

Players play, tough players win!

IMO Lochenheath is the best course in the TC area. I haven't played any of the Grand Traverse courses but they look flat and manufactured to me, especially The Bear. I second the Shanty Creek courses which are not too far away. There are a dozen or more great courses as you get closer to Petoskey. If you can finagle your way on, the two best courses in that part of the state are Crystal Downs and The Kingsley Club. Both are private. Crystal Downs is high on the list of best courses in the world. It's near Frankfort.

I've played Dunmaglas a few times. Very nice course with some tough holes. I'd be surprised if Kingsley was open to public play but if so from what I read about this course, $150.00 is a bargain.

• 1 month later...

Found this in an online review of Kingsley..."The private club allows non-members to play if a PGA Professional calls to make the arrangements. Greens fees are in the $150 range, plus a forecaddie fee."....Not sure the validity, but worth a shot. I've heard the place is off the charts!

In the bag:

TaylorMade R11 Driver (10.5 stiff stock shaft)

TaylorMade R11 3wood (15 degree stiff stock shaft)

Adams IdeaPro 3i hybrid (20 degree)

Titleist DCI 4-PW (photo)

Cleveland CG15 wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odyssey White-Hot 2-Ball (Superstroke oversize grip)

Bushnell Tour V2 Rangefinder

Ping Hoofer 2012 Bag

Originally Posted by showtime583

Found this in an online review of Kingsley..."The private club allows non-members to play if a PGA Professional calls to make the arrangements. Greens fees are in the $150 range, plus a forecaddie fee."....Not sure the validity, but worth a shot. I've heard the place is off the charts!

This usually means a reciprocal agreement with another private club doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkseye is nice, and like another person said Arcadia Bluffs in an hour away and IMO of of the top 3 courses in the state.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

When I visit Traverse City, I play Arcadia Bluffs at least 2 times. It is a challenging course but well worth the experience. Many of the holes follow the lake (which looks like the ocean) and the views are spectacular! There is a senor discount day (Tuesday maybe?)   Not to be missed!   http://arcadiabluffs.com/

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!