IGNORED

2012 AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro Am Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by zipazoid

If there is a tie they should resolved it just like they do pretty much everywhere else. Scorecard playoff. That's what they did at Pebble to determine the pro-am cut.

Why? What's it hurt to have co-winners?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What yardage do the amateurs play from?  I have read the "forward tees" which at Pebble is around 6100 yards.  Is that right?  No wonder these guys were going so low.

I don't think it's "forward tees" in the sense of the red or yellow tees you see at the courses you and I play. I think they were playing from whatever set of tees a group of average-to-good golfers would play from if they went to Pebble on holiday.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by iacas

Why? What's it hurt to have co-winners?

My apologies. I put my reply in the wrong thread. I meant to respond to the 'Fit to be Tied' thread.

But since you asked...

Hurts nothing. Have co-winners.  I was just saying (again in the wrong thread) that if someone doesn't like pro-ams ending in a tie, do a scorecard playoff. But the pros sure aren't going to hang around for an actual playoff. Most are 30,000 feet above the ground in a chartered jet to somewhere by the time the tournament ends.

Originally Posted by HarryVardon09

The match play will be very interesting. It's always my favorite tournament to watch before the Masters.

Except that it's an atmosphere free zone - like a ghost town when you get to the last couple of days with only a few players still there and a match for third place that the players clearly aren't intetested in apart from the money.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

If yesterday was Phil's dress rehearsal for the 2012 majors, he suddenly looks like a good bet to win an Open or a second PGA.

Why not the Masters?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  There was a hole that the announcers said he only had a small wedge into a par 5 and that he hit it 340+....I think it was on 6, but I could be wrong.  The pros were playing it from 506 and looked like the amateur tees were way ahead.  So yeah, I think he announcers forgot he was teeing off at the up tees.    Tony can get it out there though...he definitely hits it 300+.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

They never specified a yardage, they just said forward tees.  On some holes, it appeared to be about a 10 yard difference, and on others appeared to be closer to 40 yards of difference.

During the broadcast, I was also wondering if the announcer was accounting for that every time he mentioned that Tony Romo had "another well-over-300 yard drive."  Sometimes when they would say that, Tiger or Phil had hit 3w off the tee and were only 10-20 yards or so in back of Romo, who hit Driver from the forward tee.

Brandon

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by Shorty

Why not the Masters?

One assumes that Phil will always be a threat at the Masters.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Would love to see Phil finally clench a US Open.  I'm already making my trip arrangements for Olympic.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 4456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!