IGNORED

Do you use a rangefinder?

binga7
Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

75 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a rangefinder?

• Yes
    • No

I actually use two "rangefinders". I have a Skycaddie and a pin/prism seeking Leupold that I use to obtain exact yardage to the pin. Once I obtain the exact pin yardage I synchronize with my skycaddie using the Intelligreen moveable crosshairs so that I have exact yardage from wherever I am with it. The whole process takes less than a minute per hole and Leupold can sometimes acquire the pin from 300 or more yards out. I give out the info to not only Skycaddie users in my 4some but others on the course. I take my pin readings from convenient and accessible locations so walkers or riders can obtain them quickly and efficiently.(sprinkler head, tree, tee marker etc) I used to put down one flag per hole(red-300,yellow-250,blue-200, etc) but they kept disappearing so I bagged that idea. The next time you Skycaddie users pair up with a player with a laser you should try this. Anything that makes the pace of play faster is a good thing.

Leupold rangefinder for me.Nothing against GPS but personally I prefer the rangefinder. I know it's very much up-to personal taste so not going to go into relative merits of one over the other. For me, rangefinder.

Actually, GPS and laser are both rangefinders - they just use a different method to get to the same point.  I didn't now how to answer the poll as I don't know just what the OP was asking.  I don't use a laser any more.  I prefer my Garmin G5.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought he was using the term Laser Rangefinder and "Rangefinder" interchangeably, but I could be wrong. Either way, that's how I voted.

I use one to get distances to landmarks, write those down, since rangefinders of any kind are forbidden during our league and tournament play.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Actually, GPS and laser are both rangefinders - they just use a different method to get to the same point.  I didn't now how to answer the poll as I don't know just what the OP was asking.  I don't use a laser any more.  I prefer my Garmin G5.

Actually, GPS is a satellite-based navigation system that can be used to determine distance whereas a laser can be integrated into a true range finder....Actually.

i played my first round w/ my leupold gx-4 last weeekend, and I LOVE IT!!   i had my gps w/ me too (i carry a small, older calloway upro - i love it for its size), and i figured i'd be using both.  but except for a couple shots where i had no line of sight to the flag, i used my rangefinder exclusively.   and i can't wait to use it again!

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

• 2 years later...

Says the 20 capper.  For those with a decent golf game, actually knowing the distance can really help.  This probably is not the case with you.  I'm sure you rarely have an idea how far your ball will travel on any given swing.  Keep practicing.

I think range finders are for stupid golfers. If you can't look at the hole and check the yardage markers and figure out what club to hit then you definitely are handicapped.

Well...yeah. Everyone's got a handicap in golf. :-\

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I think range finders are for stupid golfers. If you can't look at the hole and check the yardage markers and figure out what club to hit then you definitely are handicapped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

i played my first round w/ my leupold gx-4 last weeekend, and I LOVE IT!!   i had my gps w/ me too (i carry a small, older calloway upro - i love it for its size), and i figured i'd be using both.  but except for a couple shots where i had no line of sight to the flag, i used my rangefinder exclusively.   and i can't wait to use it again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnotestine

Oh yeah you were the guy taking 6 hours to play 18. Why don't you bring your 100' tape out the next time along with you range finder, gps??

Nice way to start your membership here.  I had to post fast, because I doubt that you'll have posting privileges much longer.  Trolls never last very long.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Thanks! At least trolls can see how far the flag is without taking 10 minutes to check all your gadgets that only get you within 10 yards.

Takes me 5-10 seconds to use a range finder. How long does it take you to pace off yardage? If I can get the yardage in lets say 10 seconds, then that means you can only walk about 30 feet, or 10 yards. So anything outside of 5 yards (because you have to pace to the yardage and back), I am faster than you. So maybe you should, buy a rangefinder, it will speed up your play. We don't want you slowing down play by pacing off all your yardage.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Says the 20 capper.  For those with a decent golf game, actually knowing the distance can really help.  This probably is not the case with you.  I'm sure you rarely have an idea how far your ball will travel on any given swing.  Keep practicing.

I have played golf for over 20 years. I am not a pro or close to Scratch but I do know one thing. It does not take a gadget to see figure how far it is to the flag. It's pretty obvious that if your drive is 200 yards on a 375 yard hole you still have 175 yards left.

I have played golf for over 20 years. I am not a pro or close to Scratch but I do know one thing. It does not take a gadget to see figure how far it is to the flag. It's pretty obvious that if your drive is 200 yards on a 375 yard hole you still have 175 yards left.

oh yeah balls do not always travel the same distance with the same club and swing. It also depends on the weather and the condition of the course. Golf is not a science and should be played that way. The pros don't use all these gadgets. I doubt they would even if they could!!

I have played golf for over 20 years. I am not a pro or close to

Scratch but I do know one thing. It does not take a gadget to see figure how far it is to the flag. It's pretty obvious that if your drive is 200 yards on a 375 yard hole you still have 175 yards left.

Wow! If you play only straight holes or hit the ball right down the middle every time you must be even better than the pros.

BTW it takes me less than a second to look down at the GPS on my belt. Much faster than you can find a yardage marker or do whatever math you are doing to get your distances.

Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!