IGNORED

2012 Accenture Match Play Discussion Thread

brocks
Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

McIlroy is 2 down through 3, so he'd better get to work soon.

I was kind of betting on a Westwood/Mahan final yesterday.  Lee looks so comfortable and relaxed out there this week, and Hunter has been slapping birdie streaks since the 2nd round, which is a quick way to make an opponent start taking chances that usually don't pay off.

Stop the presses.

Did anybody see what Mahan just did on the 5th hole?  That is exactly what I struggle with sometimes on the course with my high-lofted clubs (9i-GW) and I cannot figure out how to stop it sometimes.  What did he do there?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Dave

Ping, Ping, Ping and Titleist.  If only Jimenez had beaten Rory ...

I was curious about Hunters new putter so I wandered over to the Ping website. It looks like they have not updated the WITB section of staff players in 2 or 3 years. What an opportunity lost for Ping.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post

I was curious about Hunters new putter so I wandered over to the Ping website. It looks like they have not updated the WITB section of staff players in 2 or 3 years. What an opportunity lost for Ping.

Hunter's putter is called the PING Nome, it's milled and will be available in the Spring.  The Nome is a large mallet with an alignment feature that is similar to the Sydney putter released last year.

From PING:
Quote:
This alignment feature consists of an arching piece of black anodized aluminum that extends across the crown of the putter. A contrasting white sightline runs through the center of the piece, extending from the rear of head to the leading edge of the face, for one continuous visual thread. This feature is particularly helpful for golfers who draw a putting line around the equator of their ball, as the putter's sightline can "connect" with the line on the ball with minimal visual interruption.

The Nome putter will also be offered with three different shaft bends, which will alter the balance of the putter from face balanced to toe down in varying degrees. He just put it in the bag this week.

Ping 2012 PGA Show Demo Day 7.jpg

Ping 2012 PGA Show Demo Day 9.jpg

Ping 2012 PGA Show Demo Day 10.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5339 View Post

McIlroy is 2 down through 3, so he'd better get to work soon.

What a quick turnaround!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montezumasdaddy View Post

What's the story behind the beef between Rory and Lee?

Check this story out

Quote:

MARANA, Ariz. -- Rory McIlroy was walking down the stairs toward the driving range when he passed Lee Westwood and gave him the same message he had delivered earlier Saturday in the Match Play Championship.

"See you in the morning," McIlroy said with a big smile. "Just like I told you."

Shortly after McIlroy shot 80 in the final round of the Masters to blow a four-shot lead, Westwood got under his skin by saying the 22-year-old from Northern Ireland "has a pull hook in his bag under pressure." But it was McIlroy who was the first to win a major, setting records at Congressional on his way to an eight-shot win in the U.S. Open.

Later in the year, when McIlroy left Chubby Chandler at ISM, Westwood tweeted that it was a bizarre move. McIlroy quickly un-followed Westwood and Chandler on Twitter.

Both players say their relationship is no different than with other golfers. They don't spend as much time together, understandable because they no longer have the same manager.

"There's nothing strained about the relationship between the two of us. It's still the same as it was," Westwood said. "Rory said to me before I went out, 'See you tomorrow morning.' And then today again there, he said, 'See, told you.' That's the trouble with kids nowadays. They think they're always right, don't they?"

"I think it's the match that most people wanted, and definitely the match that I wanted," McIlroy said.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Quote:

Check this story out

Sounds silly to me.  "I don't like you anymore, because you said I hook the ball."  I thought maybe Lee owned a house on the left side of #10 at Augusta National, and had filed a claim.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by mvmac

Hunter's putter is called the PING Nome, it's milled and will be available in the Spring.  The Nome is a large mallet with an alignment feature that is similar to the Sydney putter released last year.

From PING:

Thank you. That was more informative than anything I have found on the web all day.

Now I just need to keep telling myself NO MORE GOLF CLUBS!

David

Looks the the best I can do is 2nd place, worst 3rd place. I was hoping for Mahan McIlroy after the final four was determined.

186 mc, j Luke Donald 17 75
741 Noland, D Rory McIlroy 18 65
915 Ho, S Rory McIlroy 2 63
1018 James, M Rory McIlroy 17 62

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Pretty freaking good match so far.  Those shots into 3 were just amazing.  I don't know who to root for--the American, or the likely #1 in the world?  Does Rory take over the #1 spot if he wins?  I'll say this:  if Rory wins and becomes #1, he will have earned it, because Hunter is playing very well and very much in control.

Kevin

Originally Posted by k-troop

Hunter is playing very well and very much in control.

Of course, within minutes of this post he dumps an easy wedge shot into a bunker, leaving a seriously hard up and down.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 4449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!