IGNORED

"Down the Stretch", New Golf Channel Show

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Down the Stretch is going to give viewers and inside look at some of the players that are in contention through the final 2 rounds.  Players will be mic'd, and interviewed and presented as a short documentary.  Seems like a great idea for a show.  I always enjoy listening to player/caddie conversations during the round, find it way more interesting than 95% of what commentators are usually saying.

Quote:
PGA TOUR Specials on Golf Channel Capture Pressure of Contention
30-minute documentaries follow 4 players down stretch in each of four Florida Swing events

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Did you ever wonder what goes through a contender’s mind and how he prepares for the final round of a PGA TOUR tournament? What happens as that Sunday unfolds, and how he reacts to winning or losing?

Through a unique series of four 30-minute shows, Down the Stretch on Golf Channel, PGA TOUR Entertainment will provide the ultimate inside look at contending players at each of four tournaments held in Florida, beginning with this week’s Honda Classic. Players will be selected Saturday evening based on the leader board and compelling storylines. High-speed and course-level high definition cameras will then focus on a selected contender as he gets ready for Sunday’s round and follow him throughout the day, featuring multiple interviews before and after the final round.
Watch Down The Stretch to get an all-access account of what happened during a final round, and develop a new appreciation for the skill, beauty, and fierce competition that is a hallmark of the PGA TOUR.  Just 24 hours after the event is complete, the viewer will witness a unique, in-depth account of all the major moments that ultimately led to both victory and defeat.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like a good concept.

Any new content for the Golf Channel is a good thing

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Administrator

Really looking forward to it, though if history proves correct, I'll be underwhelmed. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wasn't that impressed by the first episode, mostly a recap of the last few rounds with content we saw on regular coverage mixed in with their post round interviews   Few scenes of what the locker room looks like Would love to see more "fly on the wall" type coverage rather than interviews or players walking out of their cars, or out of the locker rooms.  But it's still early, hope more players participate, lots of potential to be good.

Mike McLoughlin

All said it wasn't great, but the good news for them....it is better than "On the Range"

Michael

I thought it was decent. Like others have mentioned here, it has the potential if it can add more behind the scenes footage and less regular coverage. I think it has a lot of potential if they can infiltrate the locker rooms and beyond a bit more. But also, like shamus mentioned, the weird coloring was really annoying and I personally would just like to see regular footage.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

For those of you that didn't see it or know about it, Golf Channel has a new show titled "Down the Stretch" that premiered tonight. The premis of the series is an upclose and personal look at how PGA Tour pros prepare for Sunday when in contention. I'm not sure if the number of players they follow is going to change or if they just film a bunch and then edit (i'm sure this is what they do), but in the series premiere they followed Rory Mcilroy, Tiger Woods, Keegan Bradley and Harris English. I am a big fan of the documentary format shows of pretty much any topic, but to be about golf makes it that much sweeter. I just like to see how athletes prepare and react to the pressure to succeed on the biggest of stages. This was especially interesting and exciting to me due to Rory's quest for #1 and holding off Tiger to do so. I really enjoyed the premiere but wished it was an hour instead of 30 minutes, so that would be my only critique. I really hope Golf Channel continues stuff to make shows like this. It is much better than listening to Feherty act like an idiot or watching Hank Haney anything. Please share if you saw it and maybe we can continue this thread throughout the season. It could be a cool discussion to have post tournament and leading up to the next event. I can't wait until the "Major" episodes. Let me know your thoughts.
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Darn...you beat me to it and I did't see it until after I already posted it. And it was my first thread started!! ha ha! Oh well...i'll just delete it. Get em next time I guess. ;-) Anyway...I liked it! I am a big fan of the documentary format shows of pretty much any topic, but to be about golf makes it that much sweeter. I just like to see how athletes prepare and react to the pressure to succeed on the biggest of stages. This was especially interesting and exciting to me due to Rory's quest for #1 and holding off Tiger to do so. I really enjoyed the premiere but wished it was an hour instead of 30 minutes, so that would be my only critique. I really hope Golf Channel continues stuff to make shows like this. It is much better than listening to Feherty act like an idiot or watching Hank Haney anything. Please share if you saw it and maybe we can continue this thread throughout the season. It could be a cool discussion to have post tournament and leading up to the next event. I can't wait until the "Major" episodes. Let me know your thoughts.
DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

It wasn't the greatest show on television, but it was a decent first go around. I'm a big fan of the 24/7 series on HBO, especially the most recent one about the run up to the winter classic where they followed the Flyers and the Rangers around for a couple weeks before the game. Getting to hear what the players say on the ice was really interesting, even if most of it was bleeped out. I think with how short a time frame the Golf Channel is working with, starting Saturday night and running through the final round on Sunday, it'll be hard to make a really compelling show. The best part about shows like this is getting to see the more personal side of the athlete outside of the sport. There wasn't much in this show that you don't already see in the interviews on the range or after the 18th green.

• Administrator

I have a hard time listening to the narration while watching golf without thinking of Pipe Dream.

I know it's the gap-toothed guy who plays Dexter's father and whatnot, and I don't think of Pipe Dream when I watch Dexter, but when I see golf and hear that voice, I can't get how bad Pipe Dream was out of my head.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What I would like to see/hear more of are the player/caddy conversations like the one between Phil and Bones on the 18th at Pebble.  I like hearing that back-and-forth decision making stuff.

Originally Posted by iacas

I have a hard time listening to the narration while watching golf without thinking of Pipe Dream.

I know it's the gap-toothed guy who plays Dexter's father and whatnot, and I don't think of Pipe Dream when I watch Dexter, but when I see golf and hear that voice, I can't get how bad Pipe Dream was out of my head.

Same here! lol

Quote:

What I would like to see/hear more of are the player/caddy conversations like the one between Phil and Bones on the 18th at Pebble.  I like hearing that back-and-forth decision making stuff.

Completely agree, those are my favorite moments because it's candid.

Mike McLoughlin

Initially I really liked it...probably because I was more excited about the concept than what the show actually provided us...so I watched it again this morning...it didn't take too long with DVR.  The show is only like 12 minutes long with a commercial break every 3 minutes.  And yeah, they could do without the Pipe Dream guy as well....that show was terrible.   Though I just love Sports Documentary shows...30 for 30, 24/7 etc..   They could make this show so cool with a little more effort.  More dialogue with caddies, less Keegan bradley eating breakfast.  And Rickie Fowler really has to grab a few sleeves of balls out of his trunk when he gets to course?  Does he have to bang his golf shoes together to get the dirt out of his spikes when he's done playing?   I always figured that those guys just showed up and had some minion to take care of everything...I guess not.  Or I guess you actually have to win something first.

Note: This thread is 4405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!