IGNORED

The 2012 Masters Discussion Thread

xxsoultonesxx
Note: This thread is 4399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by zipazoid

How in the hell did he make an 8 on 18?!?

He missed the putt for a 7.

Tiger will shoot 67 tomorrow. I'm calling it now*. His swing issue will not be difficult to fix. Reverted a bit to some Haney pieces. (*Which guarantees a 74 or higher.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm still trying to figure out why he thinks Colin Montgomerie should be in the field.

Big fan of the man boobs?

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Pretty much the pulled drives that hurt him today, and a pulled iron. If he gets that left shot fixed, he's looking good. Making a few putts. You can't play like that when you lead the stats in total driving. Happy to see Molinari, Jimenez and Westwood up there. If Tiger or Rory doesn't win this, I'm rooting for Lee.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tiger will not play this badly tomorrow unless there is a hurricane

He actually scrambled pretty well to shoot even par with those four horrendous tee shots. All those six-footers he made for par on Augusta greens is a pretty good sign. But it's a very bad sign that he couldn't fix his driver during the round. Kind of contradicts everything he's been saying about his game the last few months.

Ohhh snap! You did not say that! Phantom instructor syndrome.

Originally Posted by iacas

Tiger will shoot 67 tomorrow. I'm calling it now*. His swing issue will not be difficult to fix. Reverted a bit to some Haney pieces. (*Which guarantees a 74 or higher.)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

He actually scrambled pretty well to shoot even par with those four horrendous tee shots. All those six-footers he made for par on Augusta greens is a pretty good sign. But it's a very bad sign that he couldn't fix his driver during the round. Kind of contradicts everything he's been saying about his game the last few months.

I don't fear he won't be able to get it working at some point after a couple of hours on the range. Fixing it mid round is difficult enough as it is, without it being a major at Augusta. He was probably stumped that this shot showed up, what with his driving having improved a lot this year.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by iacas

Amazed it took this long for someone to post that.

I don't understand an 8 on that hole. If he hit it in the trees off the tee, punch out & play for a 5. Did he just compound his error?

Amazed it took this long for someone to post that.

I don't understand an 8 on that hole. If he hit it in the trees off the tee, punch out & play for a 5. Did he just compound his error?

Did I not explain it well?

He did not punch out successfully

He did not chip successfully

He did not putt successfully.

That is 3 more strokes than your 5.

That is an 8.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Jesus its the first day, I don't think anyone besides a few guys putting up 75 or worse is out of it, and they are all old guys. I think its plain foolish to try and make predictions based on today (other than Sandy Lyle is most likely going to miss the cut!)

He tried to punch out, but didn't quite clear the pine straw. He asked for relief from something I couldn't see on my HDTV, didn't get it, and was furious after he hit the shot and it scooted about a hundred yards along the ground. Then he airmailed the green, flubbed the chip, and three putted from the fringe.

Phil is trying to ruin the vegetation out there. :-O [quote name="zipazoid" url="/t/56322/the-2012-masters-discussion-thread/180#post_697351"] Amazed it took this long for someone to post that. I don't understand an 8 on that hole. If he hit it in the trees off the tee, punch out & play for a 5. Did he just compound his error? [/quote] 1. Hits his tee shot left into some trees and bushes 2. Punching low to avoid trees sideways towards the fairway, but doesn't get past the needles 3. Tries to hit a hard iron off the needles, catches it fat and is still 120-something from the green 4. Approach shot airmails the green and he's left with a tough chip with little green to work with 5. Chips takes a bounce or two too many and doesn't get on the green 6. Putts from off the green to a couple of feet 7. Misses the putt 8. In the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Did I not explain it well?

He did not punch out successfully

He did not chip successfully

He did not putt successfully.

That is 3 more strokes than your 5.

That is an 8.

Well, you explained it efficiently, but I was still not picturing it.

Quote:
1. Hits his tee shot left into some trees and bushes
2. Punching low to avoid trees sideways towards the fairway, but doesn't get past the needles
3. Tries to hit a hard iron off the needles, catches it fat and is still 120-something from the green
4. Approach shot airmails the green and he's left with a tough chip with little green to work with
5. Chips takes a bounce or two too many and doesn't get on the green
6. Putts from off the green to a couple of feet
7. Misses the putt
8. In the hole

There ya go. Thanks.

Well, you explained it efficiently, but I was still not picturing it.

There ya go. Thanks.

Wanted you to use your imagination.

Look at Louie OOst -- a cool 68.

Too bad a first day leader, other than Immelman, has won after leading the first day.

Of course, OOst is also a South African.

Coincidence?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

How in the hell did he make an 8 on 18?!?

The simple answer is he really lost his cool.  When he wasn't granted relief, he lost his head and appeared to skull his next shot (although somebody else said he hit it fat).  After that swing he was furious and took it out on the pine straw with a couple wacks of his club.  Then his head was gone.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Tiger lost his head.

lol...

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

There are r umours that Luke Donald could be DQd after signing for the wrong score (73 instead of 75).

I don't know what scorecard he signed, but he's not disqualified. [quote]Whew, glad it got cleared up! “@DianeDonald: Just got off the phone with Luke, NOT disqualified. Thank goodness.” [via Twitter][/quote] Still shot a 75 though. Going to need three rounds in the 60's to get himself into contention.

Note: This thread is 4399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!