IGNORED

Rory Mcilroy Has Somthing Missing

USMC343
Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by USMC343

Wow my second posting and I get hammered for making an observation. OK maybe I was wrong but you could have explained your thoughts a little better rather than posting your sarcastic comment. Thank you for the great welcome. And your what? A Forum Leader?

Umm..... I am not sure you are talking to me, but I think your question has a ton of merit. I happen to disagree with you, because I think Tiger's gets to treat people rude and then call it a "killer instinct", but I think it is a very valid psychological comment.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by USMC343

Wow my second posting and I get hammered for making an observation. OK maybe I was wrong but you could have explained your thoughts a little better rather than posting your sarcastic comment. Thank you for the great welcome. And your what? A Forum Leader?

I don't think you are being hammered. And I have taken the time to explain my thoughts in subsequent posts, including this one. My apologies for being abrupt, but it's so easy just to bag someone and not back it up with reasoned thoight and explanation. And, of all people, Rory McIlroy.

When you make an "observation" that is not only demonstrably incorrect, but designed to be critical of someone like McILroy, who could revive the popularity of the game if Woods' physical recovery breaks down you have to expect some heat.

I would challenge you to name a single player with the externally visible "killer instinct" apart from Woods. The only person who could be that person would have to have the record to back it up and noone else does. Notable Australians who tried to "talk the talk" before they could walk were Badely and Jason day. They have matured and are better players and better people for it. It's wrong to judge McIlroy for not being a jerk. And I would say that he probably has more self confidence and self belief than any current player apart from Woods, for the record.

There have been people on this forum who have said they don't like McIlroy because he's "cocky" or "arrogant" or that they don't like the way he walks or that he said that it was possible to beat Woods a year ago.

If I went onto a military forum and started canning a highly respected, basically faultless figure that you guys respected I would expect the "welcome mat" to be well and truly rolled out. And I'd cop it on the chin.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by mchepp

I think that the OPsters point is that what made Tiger great was his ego, self-centeredness, and drive. It could cause him at times to be rude, overly aggressive, and impersonal. Rory does not have those traits. He is very friendly, and personable.

BUT, that does not mean that Rory cannot be as great as Tiger. Was Jack the same as Tiger? No, yet he found his way to 18 majors and one hell of a career. I think you don't need to act like Tiger to win and to be great. Jack and Rory are perfect examples of that. I truly hope that people don't teach their kids they have to act like Tiger to be great. It is not a prerequisite.

Well said.  Kobe Byrant and Michael Jordan are a couple more examples of the Tiger like persona, but that doesn't mean you can't be a nice guy and still win, a la Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon (and soon probably Kevin Durant)

Rory is a fantastic competitor AND a nice guy, and that's not a bad thing at all.

USMC343, at least you made it to your second post before getting unneccessarily blasted!    I'd concur that the first response was uncalled for, so welcome!

I think some of the others have sort of dumped on this a bit harshly.   To the OP's original point, does Rory really have that killer attitude to win and possibly dominate in a way that his unquestionable skills would allow?    He clearly has all the game - does he have that extra mental drive to take advantage of it?

A couple years ago, I questioned the same thing.   A personal observation was walking a practice round following Rory at the 2010 US Open in Pebble.   Rory was just kind of going through the motions, and he spent half his time with his Blackberry in hand texting and reading messages.    At one point he ended up right beside me at the edge of the ropes on the 8th fairway, texting away.   He smiled and said hi, so I asked if he was texting Nicklaus on how to best play the second shot.   He laughed and said "no, just got a new car and my mates and I are sharing pictures", and then showed me photos of his new Ferrari on the Blackberry.   We spent a minute chatting Ferraris, then he hit his shot without much attention and went on his way.      I was struck by how friendly and approachable he was, but I was really struck by how cavalier he was about preparing for the Open.    I had just read a biography on Hogan and how he would prepare in practice rounds, and it seemed so different - Hogan was preparing himself fully for what he would encounter in the tournament, while Rory seemed just out for a fun round of golf.

I think his performance at the Masters last year, though, changed a lot of that.    He really does seem to be more determined now and focused.   Maybe as he's matured a little more he thinks a bit differently about his possible legacy in golf.

How about Greg Norman? He had as much or more ego compared to Tiger, more talent than anyone else in his era, and was a tremendous competitor. He won 2 majors and got screwed out of more by people like Nick Faldo. Nick Faldo might be a pompous ass, but he didn't have either the talent or the intensity of Norman, not even close. That said, Norman became a bitter man in later years, and a bit of a pompous ass himself.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by Clambake

I think his performance at the Masters last year, though, changed a lot of that.    He really does seem to be more determined now and focused.   Maybe as he's matured a little more he thinks a bit differently about his possible legacy in golf.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this part. Like a lot of pro atheletes, Rory was probably dominating in his sport his whole life without needing to try overly hard simply because he was so much better than those around him. But then one day he looks around and realises, "Holy Crap!" these other (PGA) guys are effin' good and they will eat my lunch if I don't buckle down and get REAL SERIOUS REAL FAST.

I think Augusta last year was the fire needed to temper the steel. LOL, now I suddenly feel like watching Conan on the old VHS!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Rory is still young and shows respect to the older guys on Tour, I don't consider that a weakness.  I'm not sure if he really believes this or says it to be polite, but whenever he's been asked about competing head to head with Tiger or anyone else he simply states golf is played against the course he doesn't see it as he's competing against other golfers.  He tries to shoot the lowest score he can regardless of what others are doing.  Tiger is different, he wants to compete with individuals, he wants to be paired with the leader or runner up and intimidate them and wear them down.  To Tiger golf is about him competing against the field and in the past we've seen and heard him use tactics to give him an edge against whoever he's paired with.

It depends on personality and what drives someone.  Rory's approach, if it's true, puts much less pressure on himself as he's playing the best golf he can play and isn't concerned with what the others are doing.  Tiger is competing and expending energy playing the course and his opponents.  Overall I believe Rory will have a great career if he avoids injury and burnout.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

How about Greg Norman? He had as much or more ego compared to Tiger, more talent than anyone else in his era, and was a tremendous competitor. He won 2 majors and got screwed out of more by people like Nick Faldo. Nick Faldo might be a pompous ass, but he didn't have either the talent or the intensity of Norman, not even close. That said, Norman became a bitter man in later years, and a bit of a pompous ass himself.

Rubbish, Faldo had the killer intensity (at the back of his career) to win that Woods has but not the talent. If Norman had have had Faldo's intensity he wouldn't have choked away the 96 Masters. Also, no way he shoots 18 straight pars to win a Major.

As for Donald not winning enough how many more than 4 last year does he need? Who had more?

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Rubbish, Faldo had the killer intensity (at the back of his career) to win that Woods has but not the talent. If Norman had have had Faldo's intensity he wouldn't have choked away the 96 Masters. Also, no way he shoots 18 straight pars to win a Major.

As for Donald not winning enough how many more than 4 last year does he need? Who had more?

Choking has nothing to do with intensity. If anything, Norman was trying to hold onto a lead which wasn't the right approach for him. The fact that he wasn't playing his own game; ie Faldo was a boring par machine while Norman played his best trying to break the course record. If he overmanages his round like he did, that's what got him in trouble. If he had to shoot a 67 to win, maybe he could have, but playing conservatively and holding a big lead is really hard psychologically for a player like him. Also, Norman was a choker in a couple instances, but he usually got really unlucky. His opponents all seem to hit the shot of their life right as he's about to win. He did shoot a 64 to win a british open, and he lost a whopping 4 majors in a playoff. He finished top 3 or better in 14 majors. If that's not intensity then I don't know what is. It's not like he was an aloof guy either; he intimidated people as much as anyone ever did on a golf course.

I'd say Donald is a competitor, but he's concerned about being #1 because it's unlikely he'll win several majors. He lacks the extra gear Rory and others have, and he's peaking now. I expect Luke to win against average fields as he's done, but there are better players who bring their A game to majors and will dust him up. Being a powerful swinger is a huge asset at the US open and British open, where thick rough and obscene length and high winds respectively mean having extra power in the tank can turn a missed fairway into just a par or bogey. He's awesome on and around the greens, but he'd need to have the 4 best ballstriking rounds of his life to win at either. He's had some success at the Masters, he'll probably have some more top 5s, but I doubt he'd win simply due to the level of competition. He'll continue to win tournaments no one else needs to win, and have a hall of fame career, but I expect 1 PGA championship victory and that will likely be his only major. He'll probably pull a Faldo on someone to get it, too.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Note: This thread is 4418 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!