IGNORED

Distance ball with best feel

Note: This thread is 4553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing the Srixon Z-Star and love the way it plays, but I'm not sold that I need to spend that much on balls. On my home course the majority of the shots around the green are bump and runs so a lot of spin is not really needed. Rarely do I find myself having to hit a flop shot or something that requires a bunch of spin to stop the ball. The greens are normally quite soft so I think I can still stop a distance ball with full iron shots. I think if I had a few more yards off the tee with a distance ball (without being rock hard) then I would have a shorter second, hit more greens, blah, blah blah.......

My driver swing speed is 95-98 and I don't think it's getting any faster.

Is there a distance ball that has a decent feel and not rock hard? I don't mind buying whatever to try, just don't want to buy blind.

Thanks in advance

Did you check out the new NXT Tour S. It has a lower compression than the NXT Tour for softer feel and longer distance. Plus it comes in yellow. That's in the 30 bucks range. Also the RXS is soft and for around your swing speed, but still spins. I also find the HX Diablo Tour to work very well. For Taylormade, you might want to give the Rocketballz or Burner a go. Both are way lower compression than the TP series. And actually, one of em I can't remember which, spins MORE from 75-45 half shots, but just less on 100 yarders

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Srixon Trispeed TOUR…

Srixon AD333…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

For what it's worth, in my opinion I like the Bridgestone E6, it's feels nice off the face, has good distance and performs well on and around the greens. I'm people sure people will disagree, this was my ball of choice because of cost, however in the UK we have had the larger stores selling the old Taylormade TP ball for less than £30 a dozen, and these bad boys really go off the tee with control and distance, however I don't think I could justify spending the full price for these?

I've been playing the Wilson Smartcore - best feeling value priced ball I've found.      Plus they make it in the most highly visible yellow and orange you'll find anywhere - I can actually see it in flight...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the replys. I've played several of the balls mentioned. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw some Srixon Distance ball. Did not see it on their website but I did find in on srixon's UK site. At $18, at since I've been playing Srixon, I picked up a dozen to try. Played them today and really liked them. Picked up 10-20 yards off the driver and stopped within 3 feet of the ball mark with short iron shots.

Srixon Q-Star.  None of the others are even close.  Bridgestone xFixx is a nice one too but its no Q-Star.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Srixon Q-Star.  None of the others are even close.  Bridgestone xFixx is a nice one too but its no Q-Star.

I've played the Q-Star and like it, but I don't get any more distance out of it compared to the Z-Star.

Was fitted for the E-6 by Bridgestone. It is long for me -- as if it was designed for my swing. A little firmer with less spin around the greens than the old Penta or even the RX. I need to get used to that additional rollout. Played the E-6 yesterday for the first time on the course instead of the practice facilities/holes. Putts great (not as soft as some but good feel off my White Ice insert.) And the E-6 is LONG for me and my 99-103 SS with driver. When hit perfectly on two holes, I found places on the course that I have never seen with a driver. My buddies commented on the sound that said, "crushed." Flies forever and then runs out. Maybe this summer, as my swing and the weather heat up, I'll look for a ball with a little more compression. Right now, E-6 is my ball regardless of price. The fact that it is cheaper than the other balls I might play is a bonus.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

In a recent magazine I got (can't remember if it was in golf digest or golf magazine) they did a comparison of several balls (about 30 in total) in the high, mid and low price ranges.  Maybe an article worth checking out for anyone looking at switching balls.

Personally, I play and really like the NXT Tour  Llike others have mentioned the Tour S version has a lower compression for slower swing speeds (but I haven't tried the Tour S out).  NXT Tour and Tour S are on the pricey side though (thankfully I always wind up getting gift cards to Dick's).

Prior to that I played the Nike PD Soft which is a really soft feeling ball and compresses really well of the club face, and they are cheaper ($15 or so a dozen).  The reason I don't play the Nike's anymore is the trajectory on the new version of them is too high for my taste.  But maybe that isn't something that would bother you.

I've heard a lot of buzz about the Gamer V2, but haven't tried them out yet as a cheaper alternative to the NXT Tour.

Originally Posted by tefunk

In a recent magazine I got (can't remember if it was in golf digest or golf magazine) they did a comparison of several balls (about 30 in total) in the high, mid and low price ranges.  Maybe an article worth checking out for anyone looking at switching balls....

May Golf Digest. No TaylorMade balls reviewed.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Preface: My driver swing speed is generally in the 96-102 range.

For the last year I've mainly played the Bridgestone 300RX and the Titleist NXT Tour.  I started playing the NXT Tour S when I came out and felt, for me, it's the best ball out there among mid-priced choices.  Though I like the B330's performance most, funds aren't untimated.  To save $15 per dozen, for me anyway the overall distance and spin around the greens of the NXT Tour S gives me the best bang for the buck.

Over the last few months, I've played multiple rounds with Bridgestone E5, Bridgestone E6, and Srixon Q-Stars.  But I still keep coming back to the NXT Tour S, which I used during my low round of the year (76).

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Originally Posted by nickel_aTm

... Though I like the B330's performance most, funds aren't untimated.  To save $15 per dozen, ...

Last year's B330 RX are being blown out at my local Golfsmith for 19.99 a dozen. The change for the B330 line in 2012 was the addition of the dual dimple technology introduced on the 2011 E series. But if you liked the RX's last year, $20 is a good deal.

Originally Posted by cruzthepug

Thanks for the replys. I've played several of the balls mentioned. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw some Srixon Distance ball. Did not see it on their website but I did find in on srixon's UK site. At $18, at since I've been playing Srixon, I picked up a dozen to try. Played them today and really liked them. Picked up 10-20 yards off the driver and stopped within 3 feet of the ball mark with short iron shots.

Im in the UK and these are the balls i use too, i get them for £7.50 a dozen at a sports shop over here. Great ball

Note: This thread is 4553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!