IGNORED

Someone who knows flexibility and Jamie Sadlowski's swing

Backspinalot
Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

First, me: 15 yrs old 135 lbs, 5'7 about a 3 handicap. I am very happy with my swing right now and am able to work the ball both ways well, right trajectory and I am getting the club in the right places, I just think about alignment and turning the body more thru the ball, my arms take over sometimes. I am hitting a Titleist 910 D2 driver 9.5 w/ Kai'li 65 blue shaft Stiff. I am hitting with the traj. I want and everything. I can carry about 265 and get 270-285 after roll, and yes, it is geared for optimal carry distance. I can make a decent shoulder turn and I am somewhat flexible but probably more average in that way. I did the Jamie sadlowski work-out on TPI (watch on youtube if you haven't seen it) and that did help with distance, but I am wondering what allows him to get to those positions at the top and just all around in his swing? I don't want to feel like I am ever forcing a postion because that's when everything gets thrown off, but if I could naturally get more of a shoulder turn or whatever it is, without forcing it, that would help. Basically what I would like to know is what is it that allows Jamie to get into positions that he says most people can't, and what makes a long drive champion without being 250 lbs and being able to bench 300? and what sorts of specific stretches or excersizes should i be doing to help, or is that workout going to help with overall flexibility.

I don't want to screw up my swing, because I love it right now, but I am willing to perhaps sacrifice accuracy off of the tee for added distance without taking the "big brute guy" route.

if there is anything you need to know more about my ask. Oh and I do yoga through school, but I don't ever really get too involved with that getting distracted.

Well... at your age and weight 285 is good distance and you will be hitting it past a lot of people. What you are looking for I think will come in the future years as you develop more and build more muscle. You may grow another 2 or 3 inches and put on weight which if you continue yoga, working out, and eating right you will see a distance increase. It's not about benching 300lbs but more using lighter weights with more reps and keeping your cardio up. If your swing is solid stick with it and keep working you will get there it's not something that happens overnight.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

i hate to say it but, jamie's wrists are more flexible, and STRONG...than most peoples. his angles that he achieves, most people can't achieve just by simple genetics. for me to get the angle he does, i'd have to break my wrist. not only that but, why do you really want to hit it 350+ yards ? are 380 yard par 4's something you want to drive? yes, jamie can hit it that long...but keep in mind his +/- when he misses are pretty ridiculous off target. put him on a treelined course and he'd have a tough time hitting driver on any more than 5 holes.

to each their own but at your age, work on strength/core...flexibility is one thing but the fast twitch muscles are what make you not only longer, but more CONTROLLABLE.

• Upvote 1

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

You're a 135 pound kid.  Quit measuring yourself by man standards.  When Justin Leonard was playing junior golf he had trouble reaching some of the par 4's in 2.  He grew and so will you.  More distance will come.

• Upvote 1

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Based on the numbers you've provided - age, weight, carry distance - you'd be foolish to try and gain distance.  As has been pointed out, you are still growing, and should gain a bit of distance naturally.  If you start tinkering with positions to gain a few yards, you run the risk of screwing up other parts of your game.  In the middle of the fairway, 285 yards from the tee box is better than 350 yards and OB any day of the week.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know there isn't  quick fix to get me hitting it 300+ but I would like to model my game very close to that of Phil Mickelson's. Everything from his creativity in shots around the green to his aggresiveness, high trajectory and length I like. I think he brings such a great image to Callaway. I would like to set a realistic goal like maybe 10-20 yards on the fly off the tee. I don't want to mess with my swing too much but I am willing to work at it. I think it would be a big advantage for me especially this year having to play the back tees competitively.

Practice your short game A LOT if want to model Mickelson's game that's where he shines more than anything. In terms of length again Phil is a big guy and he puts a move on it in time you will grow and the distance will come. Trying to add 10 to 20 yards isn't easy especially if you like your swing but if you are currently hitting it 285 that's plenty long at your size. If you get a short game like Phil's you will see a much bigger improvement in your scores than you would if you added distance.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by Backspinalot

I know there isn't  quick fix to get me hitting it 300+ but I would like to model my game very close to that of Phil Mickelson's. Everything from his creativity in shots around the green to his aggresiveness, high trajectory and length I like. I think he brings such a great image to Callaway. I would like to set a realistic goal like maybe 10-20 yards on the fly off the tee. I don't want to mess with my swing too much but I am willing to work at it. I think it would be a big advantage for me especially this year having to play the back tees competitively.

Phil Mickelson = 6'3" and 200+ lbs

You = 5'7" and 135 lbs

You'll have issues "modeling your game" after Phil Mickelson if by "model your game" you mean reproducing his power.  That is until you grow.  But if you really want to tweak the mechanics on a swing you claim to be getting more than enough power from (for your current body type) then have at it.

Oh and I forgot to mention 265 carry is at 4500 feet above sea level. I say model his game, I don't mean to want to be able to drive as deep as he does but, I just love how Phil plays and he is by far my favorite player, even to how he misses fairways and rebounds with some creative shot. I would rather shoot 73 hitting %50 fairways then shoting 73 hitting %75. I know it sounds like I am trying to miss more fairways and that's rediculous but I think you have to spice up the game a bit sometimes.

Oh and I forgot to mention 265 carry is at 4500 feet above sea level. I say model his game, I don't mean to want to be able to drive as deep as he does but, I just love how Phil plays and he is by far my favorite player, even to how he misses fairways and rebounds with some creative shot. I would rather shoot 73 hitting %50 fairways then shoting 73 hitting %75. I know it sounds like I am trying to miss more fairways and that's rediculous but I think you have to spice up the game a bit sometimes.

So you probably carry the ball about 240 to 250 at sea level.  Still good results given your size.  Be patient and give it time.  Phil is a nice guy and all, but you'd be better off emulating Luke Donald's game.  Phil has unbelievable hand-eye coordination (not saying you don't, but few do).

Seriously like said above don't strive for more distance.  That will come with growth as you get older.  If you really want to work on something for distance, flexibility is what you should work hard on.  I know I am not as flexible as I was when I was your age.  Thats something that when not focused on will naturally decrease as you get older.

Starting a high level flexibility program will pay huge dividends when you have filled out in a few years.  I guarantee that as long as you stay where you are once your an adult you will be hitting 300+.

Edit: Here is an extremely "wordy" swig analysis of Jamie's swing.  Take it for what its worth.

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/sadlowski.htm

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

Those TPI videos with Sadlowski are amazing.  I'll definitely be incorporating some of his core exercises and wrist work into my work out routines.  I've personally seen significant distance increases as a result of incorporating additional core work and I'm sure any direct forearm work will likewise carry with it significant benefit.  There is no doubt in my mind that for the average golfer focused golf specific work in the gym is the best way to improve swing speed and power.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

The Luke Donald thing said above: No.

I will never strive for a game like Lukes. It may be the best for scoring, but I lose interest and get burned out in this game very easily if I don't mix things up a bit and play like Phil. Hitting every fairway and a lot of greens gets very boring and I would get bored of golf so fast.

I will never strive for a game like Lukes. It may be the best for scoring, but I lose interest and get burned out in this game very easily if I don't mix things up a bit and play like Phil. Hitting every fairway and a lot of greens gets very boring and I would get bored of golf so fast.

Shooting under par rarely gets boring.

The Luke Donald thing said above: No.

LOL!  By all means.  Change your swing to max out distance.  I recommend you buy some 6 inch tees and Pinnacle Golf balls. Then go get a Ping driver and stick a 48" shaft in it.  Make sure it's really stiff so you can wail on it.  Keep working with that club and that club only until you've optimized your launch characteristics.  Watch some videos of Jason Zuback for inspiration.  Problem solved.  You'll be an 18 handicapper, but at least you'll be interested.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm not sure where to go with this now you've basically said you'd trade being a solid golfer for being a wild golfer who hopes to hit great recovery shots. Yet some how you are still failing to realize that Phil's short game is the reason he is able to be so wild and still have solid rounds. He does hit some good recovery shots but he normally makes his birdies when he hits good drives and manages to save pars on his wild ones but normally it's his short game that saves him. My advice is to just aim for the trees or whatever than you can play whatever recovery shot you like but I'm betting your scores will suffer. I also agree with get a 47 or 48 inch driver and try to hit bombs that will make you plenty wild so it's not hard problem if you just want to miss fairways.

Ok, I didn't mean it like that. I got a little carried away but I am just fascinated by how Phil plays. I am not going to alter my swing from how it right now I decided. But if there are some flexibility excersizes I can do to allow myself to put the club in different positions that most people can't get that allow for more power and that deal, I am willing to do them.

Hitting every fairway and a lot of greens gets very boring and I would get bored of golf so fast.

Is this Bubba?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3595 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!