IGNORED

Day at range...lots of fades - whats wrong?

Note: This thread is 4376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit my new clubs today for the first time...well, the 7i anyways. It's all my instructor wants me learning with for now.

I can tell things are starting to fall in place and its feeling more natural with the swing sequence.

Now, at the range there was easily a 15-20mph gust in my face the whole time, but, i know i was still doing something wrong.

About 50% of the balls started as a push but then had even more fade on them and ended up easily 30-40 years to my left (im a lefty). I think it was because i wasnt bringing the club behind me in the back swing and my left elbow was up too much causing the club face to stay open? I think my top half may have been moving too closely with my bottom half and i wasnt shifting my weight forward and throwing my hips soon enough in the sequence.

I hit probably 25% of the balls with a nice, high trajectory the way its supposed to be. I wasnt getting the little draw on my ball though like my PGA professional wants.

However, minor victory; i did hit my first straight-draw today. I thought it had to be the wind, until i realized the wind wasnt blowing at that time. It was amazing!

Is my analysis right on this?

DRIVER:  R5

3 WOOD: Burner

IRONS: RAC OS2

WEDGE:  60* Tour Wedge

I'm a lefty also. Maybe your grip. Try rotating the left hand counterclockwise. That will promote more release. I had to do the opposite because I was snap hooking it.

Ping I15 Driver, Ping i20 3 Wood & i20 Hybrid 3 Iron
Mizuno MP60 4-PW Irons
Vokey Spin Milled 52, 56 & 60 Degree Wedges
Odyssey Black Putter

Originally Posted by DeanS

I'm a lefty also. Maybe your grip. Try rotating the left hand counterclockwise. That will promote more release. I had to do the opposite because I was snap hooking it.

do you line your thumbs up at 11 and 1 like a traditional grip?

There are many reasons for a short fade, if you have a very weak grip as stated above is one reason.  For me it usually means I didn't keep my left elbow close to my body on my downswing.  This typically causes me to swing from the outside / in and ends up in a short fade out to the left.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

golf-grip5.jpg

The V shapes inbetween the index and thumb (2 blue arrows) should point towards your right shoulder.

It would be the left shoulder for you!

• Upvote 1

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

I normally play a fade but every once and a while I have a range day as you describe. For me it is usually that my alignment has gone a bit wonky. When I fix that the fade returns to normal.

To answer the last 3 posts:

I have been working on not keeping my grip as tight as i wore a huge hole in the palm of my glove before (albeit a cheap Wal-Mart glove).

I never thought about the arm V pointing towards the back shoulder, i will definitely look at that the next time i am at the range.

i was told however that no thumbs should be on top of the grip much like the right thumb is in that picture because it causes the dominant hand to work too hard. Wrong?

If you're hitting a push fade it's because you're coming into the ball from in to out with an open club face relative to your swing path.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

If you're hitting a push fade it's because you're coming into the ball from in to out with an open club face relative to your swing path.

You can't really say where the path is going. All you know is that the clubface is open to the path. The path could be in-out, in-square-in or out-in. If he hits somewhat straight shots when the ball starts straight, the path is somewhere around square. Open the club a little and the ball will start left and fade farther left. You can of course make an educated guess based on the amount of sidespin, but it's still iffy. You'd have to compare the flight to other shots to get a clear view of it. We can't really say anything about your swing without seeing a video of it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

You can't really say where the path is going. All you know is that the clubface is open to the path. The path could be in-out, in-square-in or out-in.

If he hits somewhat straight shots when the ball starts straight, the path is somewhere around square. Open the club a little and the ball will start left and fade farther left.

You can of course make an educated guess based on the amount of sidespin, but it's still iffy. You'd have to compare the flight to other shots to get a clear view of it.

We can't really say anything about your swing without seeing a video of it.

im working on taking the wife to the range to video my swing for everyone to analyze. And, there is a LOT of side spin on the ball. I'm taking on the push-fades, when it makes contact with the ground...it kickes further left another 15-20 feet.

how quickly do you look up to see where the ball has gone?

if i try to follow the ball with my eyes from impact i hold the clubface open and push slice it,

if i keep my head down and alot it to turn with the momentum of my arms wrapping around my body, i dont slice it,

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Quote:

i was told however that no thumbs should be on top of the grip much like the right thumb is in that picture because it causes the dominant hand to work too hard. Wrong?

Its personal preference, i have seen grips were the thumb crosses over at an angle, some go down the grip, it depends on the person. I really don't think it effects the swing, to me its just a comfort thing..

As for your push-fade  (slice), i will say that if you had a wind in your face, then the ball will curve more. Push draws then to hold into the wind more because they have little side spin, but you get a push-fade, that can easily be thrown around by the wind, especially if the fade starts to get close to the slice level of curve. Hitting into the wind, i have had a normal 15 yard cut, turn into a 50 yard cut shot.

Also, is it a push-fade? Make sure your aligned right, if its a pull fade, then your going to need to work on the swing path. If its a push-fade, then yea you can change your grip to make it a tade stronger, i am not sure what your grip is at now. If the V's point toward your chin, thats pretty neutral to week in the grip.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

With a wind like that I would not make any major adjustments.  I am sure it was not directly in your face.  It will move the ball and the wind will exaggerate any spin you put on it.

Originally Posted by Zeph

You can't really say where the path is going. All you know is that the clubface is open to the path. The path could be in-out, in-square-in or out-in.

If he hits somewhat straight shots when the ball starts straight, the path is somewhere around square. Open the club a little and the ball will start left and fade farther left.

You can of course make an educated guess based on the amount of sidespin, but it's still iffy. You'd have to compare the flight to other shots to get a clear view of it.

We can't really say anything about your swing without seeing a video of it.

You absolutely can say where the swing is going. It is in to out with an open club face....those are the ball-flight laws.

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

in to out with open club face = pull slice, straight slice,...not push slice as described

588x700px-LL-d531aa8b_BallFlightLaws.jpg

• Upvote 1

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Exactly, thank you..... All I was trying to get accross is that there are certainties in the club face and club path.

How they get to these positions may be a mystery, but the position is what it is to create the flight of the ball.

Chris

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

in to out with open club face = pull slice, straight slice,...not push slice as described

Cobra AMP Driver 9.5 Stiff Shaft | Cobra S3 3Wood | Cobra 7wood | Cobra S2 Forged irons 4-GW  | Cobra Trusty Rusty 55 degree and 51 | Cleveland 60 degree RTX wedge  |  Odyssey Putter

i know to start off i go pull up a little early and move my head to follow the ball. i need to stay still more through the follow through.

im not putting a lot of stock in the shot yesterday with the wind, however, i still know something was wrong based on the ball flight prior to the wind getting it.

i do know it was a push fade because off the club face the ball was straight maybe 20 yards before turning left and then it took off.

i do know it was a push fade because off the club face the ball was straight maybe 20 yards before turning left and then it took off

That is a straight-fade. A push-fade starts to the right and curves farther right.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 4376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!