IGNORED

I've got a feeling about Rory Mcilroy...

scottyjoe145
Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not a huge fan of him personally. I mean I know he is a good golfer, but he just doesn't do it for me. He also just doesn't seem like he would be one of the top golfers as in performance wise because he is either great or terrible.

I can't believe nobody is talking about yesterday, when Rory threw his club into the ground in frustration at Wentworth.

I really didn't think he was capable of that, but I guess these guys are so competitive (like Tiger), that it just comes out bad sometimes.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

I can't believe nobody is talking about yesterday, when Rory threw his club into the ground in frustration at Wentworth.

I really didn't think he was capable of that, but I guess these guys are so competitive (like Tiger), that it just comes out bad sometimes.

I would hope more people realize this someday.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by ajst22

I'm not a huge fan of him personally. I mean I know he is a good golfer, but he just doesn't do it for me. He also just doesn't seem like he would be one of the top golfers as in performance wise because he is either great or terrible.

What do you mean you aren't  a hugre fan "personally"? Obviously your opinion is about what you think.

As for the second part of your comment, he isn't "one of the top golfers", he is number one in the world.

And even the untrained eye would see that he is one of the very best.

How can you say that it "just doesn't seem" so.

Go and check out a few Youtube videos of him hitting long irons and drivers.

He is never "terrible", he has the odd bad score, like every other player.

At his best, he is unbeatable.

Seems like a fair recipe for being "one of the top golfers".

As for "not doing it for you", how tragic. I hope he can crroect himself and meet with your approval.

What was it? 12 top 3s in 15 starts?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

At my best I'm unbeatable for anyone in the world. I've just never been at my best yet..........what the hell Shorty?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Zeph

What does he need the "Tiger-respect" for? I'm happy he don't throw his entire life into the PGA Tour for fame and money. He plays around the world and the golf fans are happy.

Not doing himself any favors by missing cuts obviously, but nobody is on top all the time.

Rory isn't trying to be Tiger or do what Tiger did. He's playing his game, living his life.

Tiger's respect is earned...  its due to his unbelievable accomplishments.  Those accomplishments have a lot to do with how often he played in the early years.  When Tiger began his career he played 20-22 PGA events a year...  and he won everywhere.

I'm not suggesting that McIlroy sell his soul and forsake his values.  I am suggesting that he should be playing the PGA tour instead of wherever the hell he is right now.  The only other PGA event (to this date) he played this year (vs) last year is The Players...  give me a break!  There have been 21 events already and he's played 6.  I'm saying he should have a fire in his belly right now.  I'm saying he should be here and playing PGA events.  His half-ass effort towards his PGA membership is a bit arrogant...  and frankly, he isn't the only person doing it.  Where is Luke Donald every week??  They pull out of the USA after a nice finish and don't come back until their #1 spot is in jeopardy.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Shorty

As for the second part of your comment, he isn't "one of the top golfers", he is number one in the world.

Sorry to be pedantic (but, Shorty, that's your wheelhouse, so tough beans), but being #1 in the world makes him "one of the top golfers," even if the plurality of the word "golfers" limits it to only two. Were he sixth, you could make the case that "top golfers" only covers #1-5, but being #1 guarantees he'll always be "one of the top golfers."

So there. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with most of your post except this part.

Brandon

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajst22

What do you mean you aren't  a hugre fan "personally"? Obviously your opinion is about what you think.

And even the untrained eye would see that he is one of the very best.

How can you say that it "just doesn't seem" so.

Go and check out a few Youtube videos of him hitting long irons and drivers.

He is never "terrible", he has the odd bad score, like every other player.

Seems like a fair recipe for being "one of the top golfers".

As for "not doing it for you", how tragic. I hope he can crroect himself and meet with your approval.

What was it? 12 top 3s in 15 starts?

Mr Dufner has some interesting comments about the number 1 player being able to miss the cut because "that's just how golf goes". I love his answer when asked about being a favourite for the US Open (or "The Open" as the interviewer says and everyone in the room knows what he means)..

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/highlights/interviews/2012/05/20/qt_12nelson_rnd4_dufner_fullprs.pgatour/index.html

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Mr Dufner has some interesting comments about the number 1 player being able to miss the cut because "that's just how golf goes". I love his answer when asked about being a favourite for the US Open (or "The Open" as the interviewer says and everyone in the room knows what he means)..

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/highlights/interviews/2012/05/20/qt_12nelson_rnd4_dufner_fullprs.pgatour/index.html

Is it just me, or were several of those questions banal and friggin annoying?  Some of them just beg for cliched responses.

Also, I find it hard to see why Dufner is disliked.  Is he really disliked, or are people just apathetic towards him because they find him boring?

Brandon

Originally Posted by iacas

Sorry to be pedantic (but, Shorty, that's your wheelhouse, so tough beans),

Moi?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Rory is clearly a great player, but I do think the media love affair with the guy is overdone. The week leading up to the Masters, you'd think everyone but Rory and Tiger were competing for 2nd. You'd also think Luke Donald was just warming up the #1 spot until Rory took his rightful place. None of which us Rory's fault, but it gets irritating. Let the kid win a few more before we proclaim him the new king of the sport.

He's not a name people get excited about but see no reason to dislike him.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Is it just me, or were several of those questions banal and friggin annoying?  Some of them just beg for cliched responses.

Also, I find it hard to see why Dufner is disliked.  Is he really disliked, or are people just apathetic towards him because they find him boring?

Brandon

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Rory is a very very good player, but he is not Tiger- back to back missed cuts and his 40th at the Masters after coming off the best stretch of golf in his life show that he isn`t able to sustain things (at least at this piont) like Tiger did.  Rory could still have a career like Phil, Vijay, Ernie or Jim Furyk, but never like Tiger.

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

Another thing about McIlroy that will make it harder for him to earn Tiger-like respect is the fact that he only plays the big events over here.  Take the last 2 weeks for example...  if he were here racking up stats it would only help his image.  I know his home is in another country, but he did commit to playing our tour.  He's only 23, what the hell is he doing right now??  When he plays sporadically it almost comes off as arrogant, to me anyway.  These are your glory years!  I can attest to the injuries this game dishes out and I'm just 30.  He should be taking advantage of his youth and setting the bar right now, IMO...

Tiger's respect is earned...  its due to his unbelievable accomplishments.  Those accomplishments have a lot to do with how often he played in the early years.  When Tiger began his career he played 20-22 PGA events a year...  and he won everywhere.

I'm not suggesting that McIlroy sell his soul and forsake his values.  I am suggesting that he should be playing the PGA tour instead of wherever the hell he is right now.  The only other PGA event (to this date) he played this year (vs) last year is The Players...  give me a break!  There have been 21 events already and he's played 6.  I'm saying he should have a fire in his belly right now.  I'm saying he should be here and playing PGA events.  His half-ass effort towards his PGA membership is a bit arrogant...  and frankly, he isn't the only person doing it.  Where is Luke Donald every week??  They pull out of the USA after a nice finish and don't come back until their #1 spot is in jeopardy.

I agree that Rory has been playing a somewhat light schedule, but I believe he is a member of both the Euro and PGA Tour.  Your attitude towards where he is playing this week is very US-centric- The BMW, where Rory missed the cut, is the Euro Tour equivalent to the Players- it has a better field, more OWGR points and offers more $ than the Colonial, so so it would have been more shocking had Rory traveled overseas and skipped it.

Rory hasn`t won as often as Tiger did, but the total number of events they played is pretty similar.  As far as Luke Donald goes, he won the money titles on both Tours last year and has averaged over 20 PGA Tour events a year going back to 2002.  The current max number of events in the OWGR is 52 and Luke currently exceeds that, something that I am not sure Tiger did even in his prime.  The minimum is 40, which Tiger has been under for quite a while.

For the past two years, Rory has played 49 events, Luke 53 and Tiger 33. http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2012/owgr20f2012.pdf Going back to this same time in 2000, Tiger had played in 46 events, the same as #2 David Duval, but 11 less than #3 Colin Montgomerie and 20 less than #7 Vijay Singh. http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2000/owgr20f2000.pdf .  Looking at week 20 of 2001, Tiger had the 2nd lightest schedule of the OWGR top 24 with 45 events the previous 2 years. http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2001/owgr20f.pdf

You can criticize Rory for winning less than Tiger, but not for playing less.  Ridiculous to even include Luke Donald as part of a playing too little discussion- with 14 last year, Luke had more PGA Tour Top 10s than the average number of events Tiger PLAYED from 2006 through 2011.  For the last 11 years, Tiger has only played more events than Luke Donald once on the PGA Tour.

Originally Posted by Motley01

I don`t think there are a lot of champions out there in any sport who don`t get upset when they perform really poorly.  If a guy is not somewhat competitive, it is hard to believe that he is going to become #1 at anything.

• Upvote 1

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Quote:

Brandon

It's just you.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It's just you.

Then it's a good thing I don't have the burden of being a highly skilled and highly paid professional athlete.  Those morons would drive me nuts.

Brandon

Quote:

It's just you.

Then it's a good thing I don't have the burden of being a highly skilled and highly paid professional athlete.  Those morons would drive me nuts.

Brandon

I find it interesting when the same routine question gets answered in a new way by someone we don't see every week.

McIlroy sucks...

Seriously, thats a joke.  But, damn he picked a bad time to loose his game.  I had no more proclaimed him the new Tiger and he's missed every cut since.  Chump...

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Note: This thread is 4281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!