IGNORED

Kapanda's golfing disasters

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Kapanda

I suck at golf. Don't bother doing the maths, that's a 76 on a Par 35.

Holy crap...

Ouch! That does hurt but you know what? You kept an honest score and you finished out, good for you. I'm also betting that you're already looking forward to the next round.

• Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ooff! Would struggle to practice putting and chipping 4 days a week right now. I only get to golf on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday.

I also will try from now on to get a round of golf in every Sunday, because my stuff off the range mats is not so exceptionally bad, but I thin a lot on the course. It's an easy course, but it seems to me like I'm not well adjusted to the grass on the course much. That says nothing about putting, of course. On that, I will def be practicing every Saturday, range and putting green.

I definitely understand. The only reason I started practicing chipping and pitching so much was that I do not like the feel of the driving range mats. They dont give real feedback like a chunk of grass flying or a dent in the dirt or grass in front of your ball. They just dont feel the same. Chipping was also free and I was once told "every stroke is just an extension of the putting stroke" which I took as chipping/pitching is step two so youll get there. It just may be a long ride.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

And both golfing and being in DC are just such joyful, exciting experiences to me, that really being able to soak it in felt really.

Are you an intern on capitol hill?

Where'd you play?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Hitting off of mats at a driving range tends to be very deceiving. They can hide times when you're hitting behind the ball. If you hit behind the ball when out on the grass and turf, it's going to be a fat shot that won't go far. If you hit behind the ball on a mat, the club can slide forward and result in a decent looking sort of hit, even if somewhat shorter than ideal. But another thing that mats can do is make a golfer a little bit timid about striking the ball solidly, because hitting the mat with the clubhead can be somewhat jarring, much more jarring than when it happens on grass and turf. That timidness can then create a tendency to hit thin shots when out on the course, as you will try to protect your wrists from getting jarred and unconsciously swing slightly above the turf.

It's much much better if you can go to a driving range that has a grass area which can be used.

If you've got a practice green where you can go to and practice chipping and putting, that can be a huge help. One good thing about concentrated practice at a practice green is that you get much more obvious and immediate feedback than you do with hit long balls at the driving range. You can really see what's working and what isn't. It's also a good place to begin to develop a routine that you can use before every shot and stroke. You can also play games, even almost play sort of mini-rounds of golf on a practice green. Select some different starting shots from areas around the green and then practice on trying to get the ball into the holes in as few of strokes as possible.

Originally Posted by ScT1

If you've got a practice green where you can go to and practice chipping and putting, that can be a huge help. One good thing about concentrated practice at a practice green is that you get much more obvious and immediate feedback than you do with hit long balls at the driving range. You can really see what's working and what isn't. It's also a good place to begin to develop a routine that you can use before every shot and stroke. You can also play games, even almost play sort of mini-rounds of golf on a practice green. Select some different starting shots from areas around the green and then practice on trying to get the ball into the holes in as few of strokes as possible.

When I can get friends to go with me to the range (chipping area) or even on putting greens we will play the 40 yards as a par 3, or call it a par 4 but the ball has to touch sand before making it onto the green. get on the practice putting greens and play par 2's or par 3's having to go all the way around this hole and come back to this hole or something. Makes it alot funner.

I like to write on my scorecards what my biggest problem was on the hole (for example, pushed a 6 iron OB; or, 3-putted from 15 feet). Then when I have a few hours to go practice, I know exactly what to focus on.

Originally Posted by dsc123

Are you an intern on capitol hill?

Where'd you play?

Nah I'm an international student, and I played at the Old Soldiers Home, coz my school has a deal with them.

Originally Posted by lostmyballs

I like to write on my scorecards what my biggest problem was on the hole (for example, pushed a 6 iron OB; or, 3-putted from 15 feet). Then when I have a few hours to go practice, I know exactly what to focus on.

Yeah, I did that a little bit, but only a teeny bit. I also wrote in the particularly good points.

CUA?

I never took advantage of that deal for some reason.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

This, exactly!  I discovered that I would strike the ball great at the range, but would be hitting thin shots and topping the ball on the course.  Found a range close to me with grass (well, a bit of a stretch, but they are replanting certain areas of the grass zone), and now I'm starting to practice there exclusively.
Also gives me practice teeing up the ball properly, as there is no pre-set rubber tee on the course.

Originally Posted by ScT1

Hitting off of mats at a driving range tends to be very deceiving. They can hide times when you're hitting behind the ball. If you hit behind the ball when out on the grass and turf, it's going to be a fat shot that won't go far. If you hit behind the ball on a mat, the club can slide forward and result in a decent looking sort of hit, even if somewhat shorter than ideal. But another thing that mats can do is make a golfer a little bit timid about striking the ball solidly, because hitting the mat with the clubhead can be somewhat jarring, much more jarring than when it happens on grass and turf. That timidness can then create a tendency to hit thin shots when out on the course, as you will try to protect your wrists from getting jarred and unconsciously swing slightly above the turf.

It's much much better if you can go to a driving range that has a grass area which can be used.

This thread and Kapanda's ongoing conversations about starting to golf is what got me to register here.  I played my first true round (outside of a few scramble matches on a drinking-golfing weekend) a few weeks ago.  Scored a 65 on a par 32.  Not good, but I've been going to my local muni once a week and walking 9 on their easier course -- only $10 weekdays and after 4:00 that gets you as many holes as you can get in before closing.

Originally Posted by NotPortlyNJ

This thread and Kapanda's ongoing conversations about starting to golf is what got me to register here.  I played my first true round (outside of a few scramble matches on a drinking-golfing weekend) a few weeks ago.  Scored a 65 on a par 32.  Not good, but I've been going to my local muni once a week and walking 9 on their easier course -- only $10 weekdays and after 4:00 that gets you as many holes as you can get in before closing.

sounds like a deal. I pay 12 or so to walk 9 after 4 and thats their all day price.

Originally Posted by NotPortlyNJ

See that iacas? Do I get some sort of commission for this?

NotPortlyNJ, I started this thread because some members said they would be interested to read about a newbie's golfing experiences. Maybe you should start yours! I'd definitely read it! You already seem to have a leg up on me in terms of raw ability, but hey, we could see how we are doing as time goes and all that... it would be fun!

My parents, my mom in particular, has sacrificed a lot for me to be here at this point in life. And so did their parents sacrifice a lot for them to be able to give their kids these sorts of experiences. I mean, golf is not the pinnacle of my life, but it's a great portrayal of my family's struggles and upward trajectory.

I hear you. Sometimes my round of golf costs more than what my father made in a week back in 1959. That would be $40 by the way. Of course, adjusted for inflation that's $315 today. However, $40 a week was still not much money back then and a Spaulding baseball glove still cost $5 then. Nonetheless, I can walk 18 for $20-24 on weekdays where I live.

It's all about having fun, and if combined with work, golf is a great way to network.

Ooff! Would struggle to practice putting and chipping 4 days a week right now. I only get to golf on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday.

I also will try from now on to get a round of golf in every Sunday, because my stuff off the range mats is not so exceptionally bad, but I thin a lot on the course. It's an easy course, but it seems to me like I'm not well adjusted to the grass on the course much. That says nothing about putting, of course. On that, I will def be practicing every Saturday, range and putting green.

Do you have a back yard? A field near your home? Practicing your short game can be done almost anywhere. You dont need to spend hours practicing. 20 minutes here and there. When studying and schoolwork has you frustrated, take 15-20 minutes, grab a wedge, and go hit shots. If you are staying on a campus, use a soccer field or a ball diamond. Anywhere that you have 30-50 yards to play with can be a great area to practice.

Still think you can't practice every day? Like I said, you do not need hours, and you will not regret getting out more often to practice your short game. 20 minutes, once or twice a day. I promise you won't regret it.

What kind of wedges are you using? (loft/bounce/brand)

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

By the way, just out of curiosity, what country is your family from Kapanda?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

It sounds like he lives in the District, which means his options are very limited.  Likely doesn't have a yard.  There are about four courses, I've played two, and they are easily the worst I've ever played.  Neither has a grass range and I think he'd be hard pressed to find one that's less than 45 min away.  I know of two, one in Olney and one out in a public course in VA somewhere (can't remember where but I want to say the Leesburg area).

Haines Point does have practice holes if you want to work on the short game.  I think they charge $10/hr or something.

Finding a field somewhere might be his best option, particularly if he can go in the off hours.  Fields will be hard to come by after 5pm during the week or anytime on a weekend with all the soccer, softball, kickball, etc.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!