IGNORED

How can Tiger's yardages from 120 and in be so off?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 4340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bwdial

He was in the final pairing on Saturday at the U.S. Open.  I think it's safe to say we're going to see every shot he hits.

On Sunday, I saw very little of what he did, and most of it was the birdies he rolled in late to pull it back to seven over.  In all fairness, I missed some of the early coverage for Father's Day grub at a Greek restaurant.

Well happy Father's Day to you.  Don't get me wrong, I expected better of him too.  I thought he'd probably win after his 69-70 start.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Straight from the mouth of Tiger himself.

What would you say if you had to answer questions from the press after every bad round of golf you played?

Tiger said that he had a lot of shots that were between clubs. That being said, I am suprised his gaps between clubs are so far apart. Some of his misses looked more like full club misses. I don't know, but he said he was close, although he didn't look too close over the weekend. I thought the first two days he looked great, but something was out of sync over the weekend.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

What would you say if you had to answer questions from the press after every bad round of golf you played?

I would tell them it is golf.  It's a hard game.  And that I have 14 majors.  STFU. :P

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I would tell them it is golf.  It's a hard game.  And that I have 14 majors.  STFU. :P

I'd love to hear him say that.  Then welcome them to take their SGI irons and offset woods out there and try to do better.

• Upvote 1

It really is a process... First he contended at regular tournaments (Abu Dhabi, Honda, Pebble...), then he won regular tournaments (Memorial, Bay Hill), then he contends at major tournaments (US Open), then he wins major tournaments (Lytham & St. Annes). The same for the swing, tee shots and long irons are now where they need to be, short irons and wedges will follow.

It amezes me every time (hyperbole coming): when he is playing good, half the people say he is unbeatable and the other half says nothing because they are pissed. When he is playing mediocre, half the people say he is a washed-up has been and the other half says nothing because they are pissed.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
It really is a process... First he contended at regular tournaments (Abu Dhabi, Honda, Pebble...), then he won regular tournaments (Memorial, Bay Hill), then he contends at major tournaments (US Open), then he wins major tournaments (Lytham & St. Annes).

QFT. I've said this before too. (RL&SA;, though, I'm not necessarily predicting that part.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Traj is off. Needs more reps.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Traj is off. Needs more reps.

LOL!  He sounds like a d bag when he says that.

I think some of it is just poor shot selection too.  Not related to his wedge game, but on Saturday he has 205 to the pin on 17 off  a fade lie, probably needs to hit it 190 to be close.  Instead of hitting the face to a relatively safe spot if he misses, he tries to muscle a fade over 2 numbers, leaving a 30 yard bunker shoe.

In some respects, I put that on Lacava.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

LOL!  He sounds like a d bag when he says that.

I doubt he cares what you think but I think he's right. He's obviously still working on the swing and particularly distance control but a year ago he said it's a process and he still needs to work on the new swing and now (at least before the US Open) he's #4 in the world having won 2 big non-majors. I wouldn't bet against Woods soon becoming #1 again.

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

I think some of it is just poor shot selection too.  Not related to his wedge game, but on Saturday he has 205 to the pin on 17 off  a fade lie, probably needs to hit it 190 to be close.  Instead of hitting the face to a relatively safe spot if he misses, he tries to muscle a fade over 2 numbers, leaving a 30 yard bunker shoe.

In some respects, I put that on Lacava.

Yes, that was a poor shot but there must be something about that hole as either McDowell or Furyk did the same thing yesterday.

Originally Posted by MSchott

I doubt he cares what you think but I think he's right. He's obviously still working on the swing and particularly distance control but a year ago he said it's a process and he still needs to work on the new swing and now (at least before the US Open) he's #4 in the world having won 2 big non-majors. I wouldn't bet against Woods soon becoming #1 again.

I think you missed the joke.

Not like I'm any kind of expert, but I think the commentators were right when they said Tiger was playing golf on Thursday and Friday, not hitting balls.  We have all experienced that, we don't "hit" the ball that great but we post a good score.  IMHO, Tiger has not gotten to the point where he is playing golf yet, he is still hitting balls, I'm sure it will come, but when is the million dollar question.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I think miller was spot on regarding not being able to adjust to the conditions.  Though woods denied it post-round.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think miller was spot on regarding not being able to adjust to the conditions.  Though woods denied it post-round.

It seems, he (Woods) has struggled with that at times in his career. Haney eluded to that during the telecast via his Twitter account when someone asked him that very thing, after Miller said something about it. Though it seemed he was further off than normal this weekend at the US Open. Missing yardages by some 15 - 20 yards at times, with his approaches into those greens.

Note: This thread is 4340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!