IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

Adding words to the English language is nothing new.  Horace Walpole is credited with adding many words using portmanteau techniques.  Serendipity is a famous example.  Lewis Carroll did it as well.

"Craptacular" and "shart" are two lesser known examples.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Craptacular" and "shart" are two lesser known examples.

How do you distinguish the liquid and the solid states? Or is the solid form "Craptacular"? :yucky:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

How do you distinguish the liquid and the solid states? Or is the solid form "Craptacular"?

Well I'd say the presence of either liquid or solid materials moves it into the category of "shart".

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Adding words to the English language is nothing new.  Horace Walpole is credited with adding many words using portmanteau techniques.  Serendipity is a famous example.  Lewis Carroll did it as well.

Any active language is dynamic.  The world changes and language changes with it.  Latin is used for legal, scientific and medical purposes for the very reason that it doesn't change.  There is no worry that the meaning for a word today will be different tomorrow because of a slang bastardization.

On this line, I have long lamented the loss of a wonderful word.  That word is "gay".  Gay is supposed to be a homogeneous mix of happy, carefree, lighthearted.  It is a very specific description of a personality or character which has nothing to do with homosexuality, yet it has been stolen from the language, and there is really no appropriate synonym to replace it with.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

This is kind of my point.  You're not going to get very far picking on people for incorrectly using the word "dumb."  Nor are you going to get very far picking on people for incorrectly using the word "average."  And while words like "doh," which I remember was added to the dictionary in the last decade or so, and "swag," which Brandon mentioned earlier, may sound stupid to some of us, isn't it likely that it's more of an evolution of language than a "dumbing down" of society? When I was a kid in 80's, I remember us, as a generation, popularizing words like "awesome," "gnarly," and "rad" for our own bastardized definitions as well.  Certainly, every generation has words like that, going all the way back to the beginning of spoken language, right?

[quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/59498/the-best-worst-spelling-and-grammar-errors-thread/700_100#post_915578"]Adding words to the English language is nothing new.  Horace Walpole is credited with adding many words using portmanteau techniques.  Serendipity is a famous example.  Lewis Carroll did it as well. [/quote] [quote name="Fourputt" url="/t/59498/the-best-worst-spelling-and-grammar-errors-thread/700_100#post_915651"] Any active language is dynamic.  The world changes and language changes with it.  Latin is used for legal, scientific and medical purposes for the very reason that it doesn't change.  There is no worry that the meaning for a word today will be different tomorrow because of a slang bastardization.   On this line, I have long lamented the loss of a wonderful word.  That word is "gay".  Gay is supposed to be a homogeneous mix of happy, carefree, lighthearted.  It is a very specific description of a personality or character which has nothing to do with homosexuality, yet it has been stolen from the language, and there is really no appropriate synonym to replace it with.   [/quote] I have no issue with adding colours to the palette of our language, but I don't want to lose the colours we already have.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@Ernest Jones ,

You spelled "colors" incorrectly. ;-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@Ernest Jones , You spelled "colors" incorrectly. ;-)

Don't even get me started on that... :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.

@Ernest Jones ,

You spelled "colors" incorrectly.

Both spellings are correct, he can spell it "colors" or "colours". Colours is just used primarily outside the United States. So since our friend is from that country up north, I guess we can let it slide. :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Both spellings are correct, he can spell it "colors" or "colours". Colours is just used primarily outside the United States. So since our friend is from that country up north, I guess we can let it slide. :beer:

The King's English man, the King's English!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

The King's English man, the King's English!

Queen. The Queen's English. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Queen. The Queen's English. ;-)

I'm old fashioned.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

We had a 6 hour round Sat, due to the group in front, husband was giving lesions to his wife.

I'm thinking that maybe they need to see a doctor after the round... or maybe a divorce lawyer. :blink:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm thinking that maybe they need to see a doctor after the round... or maybe a divorce lawyer.

LMAO, hate that dam word!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

As in that damning damming Hoover Dam?

I was wondering if any one would catch that?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Irregardless is a ridiculous "word".

It literally means..."without without regard". Nice double negative...it's like irrespectiveless. Doesn't make sense, does it?

I hate when people use it. Same with "I could care less." REALLY? How much less could you care?

/rant

Great way of remembering: 'I could care more, but I couldn't care less.'

• Administrator

It's not really a spelling or grammar error, but…

There is a fundamental difference between this thread and the 65-25-15 ratio thread that a lot of people are blurring or missing completely, I have been guilty of this too.

They are very different threads with different points. The ratio thread is about the relative difficulty in execution and why you should allocate practice time accordingly (absent any glaring weaknesses). This thread is about scoring impact. They both lead you to the same place for the most part but for very different reasons. They should be, and are, different debates.

For those who want to give 105%, let's give it up for @Ernest Jones !

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets