IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

Butts are the bomb.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:
I wouldnt get in trouble per say.. Unless my boss or his boss wants to write me up. Worse thing is they built another ticket. Which means when he closes the job its a repeat on me
Karl
8:54 AM

This is one of the few items that I almost always see misspelled that I actually correct people on.  Most other commonly misspelled items I tend to let go, because they are so commonly misspelled--yet widely recognized--that it generally indicates a lack of caring about the spelling of the word.  This one, " per se", seems to be a misconception due to never having seen the phrase written out before.

I had actually never even heard the term (that I can recall) before law school.  But ever since, it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I hear or see it.  And doubly so when I see it written, because it's usually written out "per say."

Actually, I think it's even used incorrectly (or in the wrong context) even more often than it is misspelled.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

This is one of the few items that I almost always see misspelled that I actually correct people on.  Most other commonly misspelled items I tend to let go, because they are so commonly misspelled--yet widely recognized--that it generally indicates a lack of caring about the spelling of the word.  This one, " per se", seems to be a misconception due to never having seen the phrase written out before. I had actually never even heard the term (that I can recall) before law school.  But ever since, it sticks out like a sore thumb every time I hear or see it.  And doubly so when I see it written, because it's usually written out "per say." Actually, I think it's even used incorrectly (or in the wrong context) even more often than it is misspelled.

This is a different point than the one you were making, but I always find the phrase "per usual" awkward. I'm not sure I've ever said it out loud or even typed it until just now, but I always hear those people who speak in clichés use it constantly.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

"Your an idiot."

I've seen this more than once on other forums and it can't be beat.

Oh it can be beat:

Grammatical error using "beat" instead of beaten.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out. It's taking me quite a while to get through this huge thread!

• Administrator
Grammatical error using "beat" instead of beaten.

Meh. I was responding using the same language as the OP.

But okay. Keep going. There are plenty of doozies.

(Wow that post was well over a year ago!)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did you mean, ​"duesy?"

Or duesey - for Duesenberg.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Did you mean, ​"duesy?"

Nope. Doozy.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

From my inbox this morning:

Quote:
Attention: Sir,
Please i want you keep this to yourself. I have been looking for a good contact for busniess. and the busniess is this, i am the manager a bank and the Goverement give us the contract to pay all their international contractors and we have M30.000.000.00usd over cash after we have paid all the contractors and i want if you can agrre with me, i will pay in the M30.000.000.00usd in your account and you will have M15.000.000.00m usd and M15.000.000.00 usd for me and you will help me get a house there for me to buy, so that as soon as i get the money transferred to your account i will come to meet you for my only M15.000.000.00 usd and buy the house at the same time. Please dont let anybody kown about this as this should be top secret please. So if you agrre with send me this information
(1). Your account information, where i will pay in the money.
(2). your telephone number where i can call you and get you any time .

I am asureing you that there is no problem about this transferred, as i am the one that will give the account to the Government, it is 100% free risk.

Yours

Yours faithfully,
Theo Smith

:doh:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

HAHA! That might rank as the worst written scam letter ever. I have no doubt that there are people who will fall for that sort of thing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In my several years in business I noticed a change in writing of employees.  The number of incorrectly spelled words was significantly reduced by the use of spell checkers.  But the incorrect use of words increased significantly.  For instance their and there, or its and  it's, and insure and ensure, your and you're, and so forth.

Butch

Then you get what my mom described as one employee who would type emails out using texting lingo.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator
In my several years in business I noticed a change in writing of employees.  The number of incorrectly spelled words was significantly reduced by the use of spell checkers.  But the incorrect use of words increased significantly.  For instance their and there, or its and  it's, and insure and ensure, your and you're, and so forth.

Does @saevel25 work for you?

:-D

I decided to start writing back when I receive scam/phishing letters (if they make it through my spam filter).  I won't quote the original email because I'd have to format the hell out of it.  But basically he was asking me to survey walmart & western union stores in person for $200/survey.  He chose me because they "feel [I am] dedicated." :-)

Dear Mr Sima,

First, I would like to thank you for selecting me for this tremendous opportunity. I sometimes feel my dedication is overlooked as one of my strongest personal attributes, and the fact that you chose me based on this criteria really gives me the confidence and motivation to undergo this research project for you.  Since we have never met before, I realize you must have done a thorough study on my background to find this out, making you somebody I can entirely trust.

I'm not sure if you realize this, but one of my grandparents used to work for Wal*Mart.  As a result of their poor health care services and lack of store cleanliness, my grandfather is now undergoing medical treatments to cure a staph infection which occured when he used to work in the produce department.  Those god damn bananas just sneak up on you, I swear.  Medicare is paying for the treatments, and the family has really pulled together to help out in any other ways we can.  But we've had no way to get to the root of the problem, until now!

I am eager to take on this research opportunity.  I do indeed have a Western Union and a Wal*Mart nearby.  Please forward me the Process Description in .PDF form at your earliest convenience.  I can't wait to get started!

P.S. Are you local to the Sacramento, CA area?  I believe there are many ways we can collaborate to really make this effective, including recruiting others in my local community to help!

Brandon Lewis

Unfortunately the guy didn't write back.  I planned on asking him for his personal information in hopes of creating an infinite loop of him requesting my bank information, only for me to drag it out by saying I will as soon as he gives me ____ and ____ .

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Does @saevel25 work for you?

Hey I am pretty good at work. I have more of a vested interest in being good at grammar while at work. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Does @saevel25 work for you?

Hey I am pretty good at work. I have more of a vested interest in being good at grammar while at work.

Good *at* grammar or good *with* grammar?

Debate...

:)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Good *at* grammar or good *with* grammar?

Debate...

:)

Had to look that one up. From what it looks like, "good at" should be used with a verb. Like, "Good at swimming". While "good with" should be used with a noun. Like "Good with Money".

Since "grammar" is a noun, I should have used the word, "with".

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag