IGNORED

How often do you encounter people who smoke a joint during a round?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

CR, if YOU want to poison yourself, YOU can isolate yourself. In fact, you're often required, under law, to do so these days.

Mostly anti smoking laws apply to ENCLOSED public spaces.

But I have no doubt that there are even now some sensitive individuals seeking to criminalize farting in the woods. :doh:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Always fun to be called a fascist.

Do you just not see that you're doing to same exact thing, with regards to enforcing your will over that of another?

There's a simple dichotomy here: whose right is supreme? The right of the smoker to puff away whenever and wherever he pleases, or the right of everyone else to not breathe in carcinogens.

You think the former, I think the latter.

No need for name-calling. Or politics, really.

No need to waste your time with guys like this jamo.  If he can't comprehend our right to breathe clean air trumps his selfish needs to satisfy his addiction he's not going to engage in an intelligent conversation sans name-calling.

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Always fun to be called a fascist.

Do you just not see that you're doing to same exact thing, with regards to enforcing your will over that of another?

There's a simple dichotomy here: whose right is supreme? The right of the smoker to puff away whenever and wherever he pleases, or the right of everyone else to not breathe in carcinogens.

You think the former, I think the latter.

No need for name-calling. Or politics, really.

No need to waste your time with guys like this jamo.  If he can't comprehend our right to breathe clean air trumps his selfish needs to satisfy his addiction he's not going to engage in an intelligent conversation sans name-calling.

Yep.  He can't comprehend that his second had smoke is an assault on the olfactory senses of a non smoker.  He also probably doesn't realize that the stench of his habit surrounds him even when he isn't smoking - the same way that you can smell a skunk even if you can't see it (to use his own metaphor).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

It's unfortunate that this thread went from talk about an illegal drug used in public to a legal product used in public debate. As far as I'm concerned if it's legal and the establishment allows it's use that's the end of the discussion for me. If I wish to not be around it I can refuse to share a cart with the person or not be near them otherwise. I don't smoke, never have, but many of my friends and family do so I am much more tolerant of that. I have no problem being around my friends at their homes when they smoke weed, but I don't want to be around them if they do it in public. Whether I'm using it or not, if I'm around those that do I'll be a user by association to anyone who doesn't know me. That's not acceptable.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
Sure wouldn't want to hang out with these filthy individuals...

Jack and Arnie both quit smoking on the golf course when they realized how it made them look, and the courteous golfers who smoke will ask you if you mind, and then not smoke if you say "yes."

A picture from a different era - from long before we knew the true impact smoking has on our health even second-hand - demonstrates nothing, except to amuse many by the fact that you think you're making some sort of point.

As for the point itself, I don't know if I've ever played with someone smoking a joint. I probably have, but if so, I did so unknowingly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sure wouldn't want to hang out with these filthy individuals...

http://atruegolfer.com/2011/08/cigarettes-and-golf/

If you are going to live by that photo, then maybe you should get one of those high tech drivers too.  Things change.  What is accepted changes.  Smoking is no longer mainstream in the US.

When I see a teenager smoking these days I feel a bit sad for them.  Odds are they started it as a lark, or to be one of the gang, but now that they are addicted, they try to tell themselves that they do it because they like it.  I know, because I was one of them, 50 years ago.  I quit 38 years ago, and it was by far the best gift I ever gave myself.  Even back then at less than 50 cents a pack, I saved enough more to be able to afford a new car just from what I wasn't spending on  cigarettes.

You can rant about it all you want, but in the end, all you are doing is killing yourself slowly - and degrading your quality of life while you do it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I once heard that are general guidelines about treating other people with consideration and respect...to me, it's self-evident that those guidelines cover smoking, regardless of the substance.  I also heard something about golf having etiquette rules... but I don't think those apply here. ;-)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

A buddy of mine smokes weed on the course (and everywhere else) every time.  I've gotten the occasional wiff of it, but I can't imagine telling him to stop because of that small of an intrusion.  Better than someone farting I would think.  I've encountered occasional other folks on the course who ask if I mind.  Never do.  To each his own.

As far as the 'contact high' - never really believed in this.  Maybe if you were in a phone booth with the Parliament Funkadelic All-Stars for a half hour.  But in the open outdoors where one guy is smoking weed?  Probably just in your head because you were worried about it.

If you are going to live by that photo, then maybe you should get one of those high tech drivers too...

Got 'em, and the blades to go with!

BTW - I am courteous to others on and off the course. When folks politely ask that I not smoke in their home, car, etc I abide willingly. Only once on the driving range did someone ask that I not smoke, I thought it a little strange but voluntarily moved to the other end of the range.

I pick up my butts and dispose of them properly... unlike some uncouth folks who delight in spitting sunflower shells or other similarly disgusting but politically correct items all over the greens.

All this is OT and I'm done.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

I don't play golf very well on weed (or alcohol for that matter), so I always play substance free. But once a year I play in a charity outing with the same three guys and we light up and play stoned out of our minds. A fun day, but once a year is fine. Golf is hard enough.

Bill M

Or as Robin Williams puts it, " Marijuana enhances many things; colors, tastes, sensations, but you certainly not ****ing empowered"

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't necessarily mind it, per se, but I will avoid it like the plague if I can. Regardless of what it is that someone is smoking my airways close to the size of a drinking straw if I'm downwind and directly breathing it in. I just stay upwind of them and I'll be fine.

Or as Robin Williams puts it, "Marijuana enhances many things; colors, tastes, sensations, but you certainly not ****ing empowered"

The reason marijuana is considered performance enhancing is it's ability to calm the nerves and in some cases dull pain *fighers*, not because it empowers you or makes you stronger.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

wow, didn't know there were so many uptight people on this board

i think a lot of people look at golf as an escape...

a place to relax and forget their worries

if it's drinking, smoking a cigar, or taking a toke

it really doesn't bother me as long as people are having a great time

there's a time to have fun and then there's a time to be serious

Interesting that people are considered "uptight" if they don't like the idea of people smoking marijuana on the course. A lot of people don't like the idea of illegal things happening in their presence.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Well I guess I am, because I know that there is just no way, that when you smell someone smoking weed, that the chemicals in it, physically affect you in any way, it is just in your head.

No, I have never even heard of anyone ever smoking a joint on the course before this thread, in the UK I would be amazed if I seen someone smoking on the course, and I wouldn't personally do it myself, because I'm pretty sure the majority of people wouldn't be happy.

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!