IGNORED

what speed player are you?

Lost-Ball
Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. what speed player are you?

• speedy fast - no practice swing, stand over the ball, look at the target once and fire away. you wife only allowed you to leave her sight for 2 hours so u better hurry up!
    • steady pace - you know your game and know the course and am not out to break the course record today. your not trying something new today or taking mulligans. your just getting a round in and doing what you do
    • normal - today is the day! you know what you did wrong last time you played from watching the "golf fix" and today your gonna get it right even if it means taking a mulligan or two
    • hit the ball already - you have checked your gps, carefully selected a club and then the wind picks up 1 mph so you carefully select anouther club. you throw the grass in the air even when putting and have 20 swing thoughts in your head that cause your to take up to 4 mulligans on each hole.

• Administrator
Thank you for testing the limits of the poll fields. Very much appreciate the QA effort. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Facetious: (adj), meant to be humorous or funny : not serious

Sorry, missed that one. I was like WTF. Oops

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

What does this thread have to do with feces?

It's all a bunch of crap.;-)

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Ben Crane on the tee, Mario Andretti in the cart.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I play somewhere between speedy and steady. I'm currently working on playing at a slower pace when playing as a single just so that I don't lose my mind when being bogged down by slower players. It's a process.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I play at a steady pace but one of my partners has a GPS with the ability to enter shot data.  He won't just put it on  the card and transfer it later until we're behind the group ahead and being pushed from behind.  I know approximately how far my clubs go but I don't waste time in the selection process.  I go with my first impression, take a practice swing, and go.  By myself in a cart two to 2 1/2 hours is average.  With him it's 4- 4/12 hours when we could be done in at minimum 45 minutes less if it wasn't for "modern technology".

if i am paired with someone i am a steady pace player. i dont like people waiting on me. take a practice swing and hit the ball and move on. when im alone i tend to try to take alittle more time and focus on shooting a better score. what hurts me is im the better player in my limited group of people i play with normally so im not really pushed or challeged to do my best when not playing with them. im just trying to keep our group moving along. one guy i play with alot is very very slow. takes the two of us 4 1/2 hours to ride 18. hes not playing with gps, testing the wind, or taking 10 practice swings. he gets over the ball and freezes like a statue for like 10-20-30 seconds then finally hits the ball. ok thats tolerable if your making good shots but problem is hes not. 60% of the time hes topping the ball and its just going like 20-50 yards. if he would relax and not try to kill the ball every swing he would do alot better.

After I voted I should say that I am not surprised that the Slowest option had Zero (0) votes.  For all the time we spend complaining about slow play, there doesn't seem to be any slow players out there.

I normally play by myself.  I am all of those types of players depending on the course, the time i have to play, the group behind me and how i feel that day.  One thing I hate is having ppl wait on me so I am efficient if needed and will maintain a good distance between me and the group behind, but I will stretch out a round as long as I can. When I play every round is a practice round for my enjoyment of golf and to learn from it.

I play at a steady pace to play a standard timed round with usually one soft practice swing just to make sure I'm choked up on the club correctly

I sometimes use a rangefinder on fairways where it's not so easy to determine distance for the approach shot.

I think practice swings on full shots are a complete waste of time. Most people I see taking 2 or 3 practice swings before every shot shoot in the 100's and I always think to myself "don't they get tired?"

I take a practice swing or two on touch or feel shots when I have to take something off of a shot or if I need to move the ball one way or another. If it is a stock shot then I just pull the trigger. I play fast though, I walked 18 in 3:15 on Monday morning but then again I only had to hit it 69 times.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I think practice swings on full shots are a complete waste of time. Most people I see taking 2 or 3 practice swings before every shot shoot in the 100's and I always think to myself "don't they get tired?"

I take a practice swing or two on touch or feel shots when I have to take something off of a shot or if I need to move the ball one way or another. If it is a stock shot then I just pull the trigger. I play fast though, I walked 18 in 3:15 on Monday morning but then again I only had to hit it 69 times.

I am at the range almost daily hitting a couple buckets of balls.  I don't tire easy from practice swings.  Everyone is different though.

Originally Posted by GregZ

I normally play by myself.  I am all of those types of players depending on the course, the time i have to play, the group behind me and how i feel that day.  One thing I hate is having ppl wait on me so I am efficient if needed and will maintain a good distance between me and the group behind, but I will stretch out a round as long as I can. When I play every round is a practice round for my enjoyment of golf and to learn from it.

I'm with this guy.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I guess it depends on your practice swing. I assume you are talking about the guys who do the setup, waggle, pause, look and swing and that's 1. Then they do it all again. Then they set up to the ball and swing totally different and shank it 30 yards only to walk to the ball and start all over.

I usually take one or two loose swings just to get my feel while I'm trying to visualize the shot. Mostly arms back and through. Clip the grass. Then I set up and go.

I said steady but I can appear more deliberate at a glance. I do not waste time between shots. Between shots, I play very fast. When it is my turn, my club is usually pulled, I know where I'm aiming and I begin my routine. I have some alignment issues so if I have not been able to stand behind my ball before it is my turn, I do stand behind the ball and pick out a mark for alignment. If the lie is flat, I step in and go without a practice swing unless it is a club I rarely hit (like a 3-wood off the fairway) or a shot that requires a shape other than straight or a slight draw. If the lie is odd, I take a practice swing or two until I feel comfortable with the elevation changes, then step back, confirm my line, and go. This takes a little time but any discussion about clubs, wind, yardages etc. has all been done while I'm waiting. I never re-club because of wind changes. The winds are strong and usually steady where I play most often. If I do not have a wait for playing partners, much of the decision stuff is done while driving to my ball. On the green, I read the putt quickly and usually before it is my turn. I do line up my ball and adjust if needed to get my ball's line on my target line. No practice strokes on the green. Look at the target, look at the ball, visualize the target, pause until focused and committed, and go. The best way for me to play fast on the greens is to putt less. Nothing slows a group down like lining up a third putt.

If I play a relaxed round alone with no one in front of me, I play in 1.5 - 2.0 hours (riding). Not really fast, but steady. I cannot recall the last time I was in a 4-some where I was the slowest player. Again, no wasted time between shots and little things like not carrying my head cover until we arrive at the first tee shot, and watching everyone else's balls. I try and hit the ball, watch the ball, go to the ball.

• Upvote 1

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by Jason M Henley

I guess it depends on your practice swing. I assume you are talking about the guys who do the setup, waggle, pause, look and swing and that's 1. Then they do it all again. Then they set up to the ball and swing totally different and shank it 30 yards only to walk to the ball and start all over.

I usually take one or two loose swings just to get my feel while I'm trying to visualize the shot. Mostly arms back and through. Clip the grass. Then I set up and go.

Yes I am talking about the fully rehearsed next to the ball looks just like a regular golf shot, practice swing. I too take that little half swing clip the grass as I walk into my shot, I don't really consider that a practice swing.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My pregame and preshot routine is always changing but typically I will go up to the teebox, check my GPS on my phone (Golfshot GPS) from where I decide I want to tee off from and stick a tee in the ground. Then I go get the club of my choice, take a practice swing until I feel the swing that is "the swing" then I hit.

Yes, I am on e of the two who chose the slow pace, haha.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Note: This thread is 4338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!