IGNORED

Suggest an inexpensive, decent putter for a high handicap golfer

Note: This thread is 4272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Putters are such a personal thing that it makes it really hard to recommend one. There are numerous different shapes, head materials, inserts, finishes, alignment aids, lengths, etc. that what I really like somebody else hates. The only thing you can really do is just test out some and see what you like and what you are comfortable with, for some thats a $20 putter out of the used bin and others it's a $350 Scotty...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't spend a lot of money on a putter unless you know exactly what you want and why you want it. I make as many putts with the Odyssey that was given to me as the 2nd hand Anser 2 I got for $29 as the vingate Forgan I have in the basement. During a hot streak I think my current putter (whichever one that happens to be) is priceless. During a cold streak I think it's worthless. Don't blow your golf budget on a flatstick as a new player. It's like somebody bringing an expensive craft beer to a bush party. Why?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

its a putter.. you hit it straight and it goes straight. theres no real secret to them.. no reason to spend a fortune.

look for a putter with the right weight you want.. the right shape.. and the correct shape of the shaft.. with a nice grip, you're done.

plenty of cheap ones out there.

• Upvote 1

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

Originally Posted by meenman

And being cheap can also cost you more.

The putter is the one club that could stay in your bag forever - if you go with one due to price only, you may purchase 2 or 3 other ones offsetting your *savings* - a more expensive one will hold its value over time

I'm not saying a $300 putter is for everyone - but if you are only thinking with your pocket - you may have taken up the wrong hobby

"Holds it's value"?  Well, if you look at a putter as an investment, ok.

I didn't say to base your decision on price only.  But to say price shouldn't be a factor is just dumb.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Slightly off topic, but only slightly

When I bought my Yes! Athena for $25 brand new (actually it was a return but it had only been out of the store 3 days) it was WAY shorter than I was used to (31") but I figured for the price I could get it extended and still have an awesome putter for under $40. Funny thing happened, I started using it at 31" and discovered I putt much better with a shorter putter and I mean MUCH better.

So do yourself a favor and at least try out a few putters that are shorter than the "norm", you may be pleasantly surprised. I don't know if I'd go Garrigus short but I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to the 36"+/- that the OEMs are pushing.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You could probably find a Taylor Made Rossa model for a good price, or look at Ping, they make great putters.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

depends on your stroke and there's really no difference from brand to brand. you want something that matches your stroke: strong arc, med arc, very little arc.

Just bought a TaylorMade White Smoke for 99$ and I like it a lot.  It has more "pop" than my Scotty Cameron.  Thing about a putter is it's all about feel, so if you can hit a 300 dollar Scotty well then hit it, or if you can hit a flat wooden stick that you found on the ground then hit that haha.

Something you can aim at the hole from 8 feet away on a straight putt.

Lots of putters out there on sale.

Ping, TM, Cleveland, etc.

Personally, for a high capper - the SeeMore is an excellent choice because it has a built in system to check yourself - that's if a beginner can learn how to use it correctly.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Callaway Pre Owned is having a 20% off sale and a lot of their equipment, including putters, is new.

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/short-game/short-game,default,sc.html?mcid2=149

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Just bought a MacGregor 2503 response for 69.99 at GS. I was comparing it to the TM spyder and didn't see enough benifit to justify spending $100 more. The MacGregor urethane insert had a really nice feel and they have what MacGregor calls ARC surface on the insert that is suppossed to promote a quicker roll and less skid.

Another Cleveland putter endorser here.  Went to the store where I buy all my hockey equipment to check out a few new sticks glanced by the golf section to fool around and kill time noticed a red grip mallet putter.  At first thought it was a Scotty.  It had a milled face very good weight looked at the price tag $60.  Best $60 I have ever spent on golf.

Although I must say putters are a personal thing.  I for one hate having inserts on putters and hated my $150 rossa because the insert had too much "pop" off the face, yet many pros use an insert style of putter.  It is all personal preference, a guy on the Champions tour (can't think of the name) uses a putter that would be found at most mini golf places.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

• 2 weeks later...
i have a clevelend classic 4. you can get one for around 50 bucks, has good feel and some people say if performs almost as good as a scotty.

You really can't beat these putters for the price

You could probably find a Taylor Made Rossa model for a good price, or look at Ping, they make great putters.

+1 I love my rossa. I am thinking about getting another putter though because the white is getting on my nerves to protect

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by tiger187126

+1

I love my rossa. I am thinking about getting another putter though because the white is getting on my nerves to protect

sorry, wrote this from my phone. i love my rossa daytona 1 with the asgi+, but since it's white if i forget to throw the cover on it gets nicked up. i actually have a good dent near the heel from one of my wedges hitting it.

i went hunting today for a low bounce 60* and i checked out putters while i was at the store. i didn't see anything that was affordable (under $100) that wouldn't need to be protected. i went over to sports authority and found a TM Rosa Siena 4 with an RSi face. never used one before, but it felt great and it's not painted so i won't have to constantly cover it and baby it.

it ran me $60, and i'm throwing it in my bag until i have a horrible day putting with it.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

if you have a pendulum stroke and don't need toe weighting then you only need about $30 for a putter... The Zebra. To pick out a putter you only need to be concerned about two things: what type of putter you align best--blade or mallet (ignore the spaceships) and how much toe weighting you need. Everything else is hype. Then if you want something cheap just don't pick up anything over $100! There is certainly a copy of the expensive putters that performs within 99.9%

Note: This thread is 4272 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!