IGNORED

Ok, So I Can't Hit The Ball With Tour Striker - What Next? :)

Note: This thread is 3313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Video tape your swing and put if up so we can see. Using both the Tour Striker and your normal clubs.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by GlasgowsGreen

I have the 8 Iron Tour Striker and after a wee bit of practice today I was hitting the ball high into the air very consistently, with very few of the worm burners that are supposed to result from bad hits. I'd be surprised if my casting problem has been cured so quickly, so I'm a little worried that the 8 Iron is too forgiving and easy to hit with..? I know they have Tour Striker Pro 7 irons as well which are harder to hit with.

I find the Tour Striker Pro - challenging.

I can do it, but I've got to be smooth from the top and use my new center pivot swing. Baby Steps.

I get the worm burners when tired and make too much use of a disconnected arms swing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Your video shows the early release. The TS shows you when you've fixed it but does not fix it.

I find trying not to release early does not work for me. The early release is the effect of other things. I need to find the cause. Furthermore, what I do and what I feel I am doing are often very different. So, I need to find feelings that address the cause of my early release. Again, the TS will show me when I'm doing it right.

Try some different feelings until one works. Try hands in front of ball at impact without worrying about the club head. Try driving more into a flexed front foot. Try making a more complete shoulder turn (not sure why this helps with my release). Try beating down on the ball -- I try looking at the front spot of the ball instead of the back spot (I also try hitting balls out of a divot with the TS). Do not hit the ball hard. Hit the ball well.

Keep us all updated on progress.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I've found the TS Pro works for me when I use a steady, not quick, tempo from the top on an in to out path with a slightly open face - the old "swing to right field" but connected to the body. But that's me. Different strokes, different feels...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by GlasgowsGreen

Like many beginners I suffer from flipping hands/ fat shots/ hitting behind the ball/ poor impact position...

So, in an effort to rectify this I bought myself a Tour Striker 8 Iron and not surprisingly I can't hit the ball with it (consistently)!

So what's next? Is the Tour Striker designed to fix the problem itself i.e. should i just continue to try and hit balls, and in time I will learn to hit down properly?

Or does the Tour Striker only tell you that you're not hitting the ball properly? i.e. should I also be doing drills with normal clubs etc?

Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Did a quick YT search.  Have you seen this video?

Thanks for the replies.

Things I'm working on are;

1. Placing the ball to the left of my left foot (I'm RH). Hitting the ball well from that position will apparently ingrain a later release.

2. The baseball drill - Swinging the club like a baseball bat as if I'm trying to hit a ball at chest height. This gives the feeling of storing up the lag and releasing at the proper moment.

I would take what iacas said further. Start with the shortest possible swing that allows you to hit the ball with the TS, even if it is one foot and then start lengthening from there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 years later...

Just got my tour striker 7 iron and I hit one good one out of about every 10. However, when I put it down and hit my 8 iron (8 because it's the same length shaft as the tour stiker 7) I hit way better than I did before using the tour striker. Now that was just 1 day so I'm hoping to try again tomorrow. Did you try hitting balls with your irons right after using the tour striker?

Like many beginners I suffer from flipping hands/ fat shots/ hitting behind the ball/ poor impact position...

So, in an effort to rectify this I bought myself a Tour Striker 8 Iron and not surprisingly I can't hit the ball with it (consistently)!

So what's next? Is the Tour Striker designed to fix the problem itself i.e. should i just continue to try and hit balls, and in time I will learn to hit down properly?

Or does the Tour Striker only tell you that you're not hitting the ball properly? i.e. should I also be doing drills with normal clubs etc?

Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Did you buy it used? Training aids typically come with some sort of manual or dvd with drills/instructions to help you use them. You could probably get an extra copy if you contact customer support.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Regarding hitting balls with your regular clubs after using the TS: ABSOLUTELY.  In fact, Martin Chuck, inventor of the TS recommends it.  He stated using the TS for full practice sessions can be detrimental.

Regarding the original post:  There IS a way to cheat the TS with an over-the-top swing, but it is easily prevented using a swing plane trainer like a "right approach" that forces shallow angle of entry.

Note: This thread is 3313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!