IGNORED

How many putts within 15" do you think you miss? (Within the length of a club's grip)

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you miss "in the leather" (within 15 inches of the hole) putts?

• 1 in 10
    • 1 in 20
    • 1 in 50
    • 1 in 100
    • NEVER!
    • Other.. Please explain.

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!][/SPOILER][quote name="hokiebound" url="/t/60183/how-many-putts-within-15-do-you-think-you-miss-within-the-length-of-a-clubs-grip#post_739024"]I always finish. They don't give you gimme's in tournaments. [/quote] Yup. Play in any amateur tournament and I'll almost guarantee you'll see at LEAST one 2 ft putt missed in any given foursome......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by hokiebound

I always finish. They don't give you gimme's in tournaments.

True but we arent talking tournaments, we are talking your weekly Sunday round with your buddies.  In the interest of pace of play, theres no reason to make someone putt out a putt that is less than 2'.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I thinking 1 in 20 is about right. Those putts are often given when we play, but I prefer to putt them all out.

I don't think 1 in 20 sounds right. That's 5%. I think 1 in 100-200 is more accurate. 15 inches is pretty short. The break doesn't come into play much from that short.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

True but we arent talking tournaments, we are talking your weekly Sunday round with your buddies.  In the interest of pace of play, theres no reason to make someone putt out a putt that is less than 2'.

And those are the guys missing those putts in tournamentts..... ......and boy howdy, does it go downhill from there! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

I was wondering when someone was going to call me on that..

I didn't actually measure my grip. I was told by someone else that they were "about 15 inches," so I ran with it.

But that's fine because we arent asking "How many 24 inch puts can you make?" The question is, how many WITHIN 15 do you miss?

Well, I voted wrong because I took your initial comment about "inside the leather, and that can be more that 2 feet.  15" is noticeably less than that, and for that I'd say I don't miss more than 1 in 100, and it's probably better than that, but I won't be so bold as to say never.  Pretty much nobody who ever played golf can honestly say that.

I take every putt relatively seriously, so I don't miss many from 2 feet in.  Occasionally when the hole is cut on a goodly slope, I will misfire on a 2 to 3 footer, but even that's uncommon for me, maybe miss one or two in 25.  However, I once missed an 8 inch putt which ultimately cost me a match, so sometimes silly things happen in this game.  To think it can't happen to you is unrealistic - just ask Hale Irwin about his 1983 British Open - but I see that we have 3 fantasy players as I type this.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

Originally Posted by David in FL

And those are the guys missing those putts in tournamentts.....

......and boy howdy, does it go downhill from there!

Yep, got that right.  If you never try, how do you have a clue how many you might make or miss?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

It's the length of the grip. You have to lay your club down and prove that it's "in the leather." Fairly standard.

um...yeah.  The point is that not just is it a subjective decision that the grip is the perfect length but what about different sized grips.  We could just carry a tape measure and do a different length.  The question is....what length is right?

I voted 1 out of 100 ... at that length its certainly rare.  But because its so rare and it takes no time at all (because you don't need to line it up and read it), why not putt out?  The only time I don't putt out from that length is if my first putt is long enough that somebody else is nearer the hole than me and just whacks it back to me.  Otherwise, I always putt it out - even if for no other reason than to hear it rattle.

I voted 1 in 100.  It's pretty rare if I miss one of those....

When I do, it's likely fast and downhill.....with big break!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

If it's for birdie?? I'd say 1 in 3 would be a miss....

In my  taylormade.gif Stratus Stand bag

Driver:  taylormade.gif 10.5* 2009 Burner

3 Wood: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

3 Hybrid: taylormade.gif 2008 Burner

Ironstaylormade.gif  Burner 1.0 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG15  56*

Putter:  taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Spider Vicino

Ball Callaway HX Diablo Tour

Originally Posted by WhackAndHack

If it's for birdie?? I'd say 1 in 3 would be a miss....

I missed one just yesterday for a birdie was on a par three at 152 yards , tee shot right next to the cup no more than ten inches , severely sloping green but hey cmon 10 inches ffs , was gutted for once to get par

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

I love 3 and 4 foot gimmes when they are in the group in front of me. It speeds up play. There is nothing like seeing a guy grind on a 3 footer like it is the US Open for a snowman on every par 3.

Usually, my group putts out even though we will occasionally give a putt playing skins that usually has to be within 18 inches. No one really wants to win a skin because someone missed a one footer. Most of us still putt out. If we are playing stroke play, we putt them all out regardless. I have not seen too many missed from the OPs distance. Maybe 1 in 100.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I will putt it out regardless but a miss from that distance feels so rare to me that I can't quantify it.  I think even 1 in 100 might be a little low.  15 inches is pretty short.  Now 3 and 4 footers..I can miss those, lol.  Those lips are just the devil sometimes.

The only time I don't putt out is if someone else knocks my ball to me.  Even if they say "thats yours" I'll make a quick putt just to stay in the practice of finishing out.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Putts with in 15' do I miss, probably 85-90% of them. I am pretty good from 5' and in, but it really goes down hill after that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Now that I'm a bit older, I don't play as frequently.  Most of my group doesn't even keep a serious handicap anymore.  We play best ball match play all the time.

Our rule on gimmes is this:

-  If the putt means something for the match, whether a win or a half, then it is not a gimme.  Sometimes if it is really close, then we'll whack it back to the guy, but the vast majority of putts are not given.

-  If you are out of the hole, nobody cares if you take a putt or not.  If you have a 4 footer to half the hole and drill it 10 feet past and don't feel like going through the routine for the 10 footer on the return, I don't care if you putt it or not.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I'd say one in fifty. I putt them out, usually a one handed walk by putt and leave it in the hole until the next guy goes in and tosses it back to me. Most of the guys I play with will hit it back to me if they are near the hole though.

I voted one in fifty, but I think its something like 1 in 100 when I'm taking it seriously, and 1 in 10 when I'm trying to get out of the way quickly.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I'd say 1 in 50.  I'm usually solid from that distance ... sometimes a rise at the lip of the cup from the hole cutter can cause  a close putt to miss.

I honestly don't think I ever miss 15 inch putts, thats really short, I mean I probably have before. If you go out to like 30" though, sometimes I get such a huge mental issue in my head that I'm gonna miss it, that I miss it. Especially if its for a birdie.

:whistle:

Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!