IGNORED

How many putts within 15" do you think you miss? (Within the length of a club's grip)

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How often do you miss "in the leather" (within 15 inches of the hole) putts?

• 1 in 10
    • 1 in 20
    • 1 in 50
    • 1 in 100
    • NEVER!
    • Other.. Please explain.

Originally Posted by jshots

I honestly don't think I ever miss 15 inch putts, thats really short, I mean I probably have before. If you go out to like 30" though, sometimes I get such a huge mental issue in my head that I'm gonna miss it, that I miss it. Especially if its for a birdie.

Yeah, the difference between 15 inches and 30 inches is really huge.  A 15 inch putt can break on you, but it likely won't break outside of the hole.  It takes a horrible stroke or a real tricky downhill breaking putt to miss a 15 incher.  You can also be pretty firm, relatively speaking, with a 15 inch putt to hit the back of the cup with confidence.

36 inch putts can be missed.  Even a good putter might miss a 36 inch putt 1 out of 5 times.  36 inch putt with break can break outside the hole.  Also, you cannot be as firm, relatively speaking, on the 36 footer.Once

you get to 60 inches, we're talking about a 45-40% miss percentage for pga pros.

Just some examples of PGA tour pros stats (range for top 100 golfers:

Inside 5 feet:

96-98.9%

3-5 feet:

86-96% (only Oosthuizen is above 93%)

(this means these guys are very high 90% from inside of 36 inches)

5-10 feet:

54-65% (so if you can make 2 out of 3 of these, you are better than the best pga tour pros)

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Not many but I have missed a few recently on greens with extremely difficult pin placement, really quick downhill stuff. Always happens during rounds where everything else is falling apart. Those don't botther me so much because it's just silly when it happens. It's the missed 2-3' putts that kill me.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said 1 in 100, but if it's an unfamiliar course it would be 2 or 3 in 100. The first time you play a course or a hole position you haven't seen before you can over think it or just get fooled. Usually for me if I miss one of these it is because I hit it to hard, irritated by a missed birdie putt.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I voted 1 in 10.  I might be better than that, but the ones I miss stick with me so much that it feels like 1 in 10.

Originally Posted by DirtCheap

15" is really the extreme of a "gimme." But think about how often its 3" or 5" or 9". You would have to be #1 on the golf god's sh!tlist to miss a three inch putt.

If it is so easy, why not just tap it in?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I said 1 in 20, but was tempted to say 1 in 50. That's for putts of about 15" long, not within 15", which would include 1" putts. It's not too rare to fine an awkward putt of that length into a cup that was cut in a bad slope by a disgruntled greenskeeper. You make some of them, but I know I've lipped some out. I'll have a small handful of putts of the course of a day, and while I probably wouldn't miss one on average I probably would every few rounds.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by DirtCheap

It's the length of the grip. You have to lay your club down and prove that it's "in the leather." Fairly standard.

Or tap it in and take it out of the hole. Takes just as long, maybe less time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I said 1 in 20 for those occasional ones that are on a 3% or more slope.  Usually it is lack of concentration.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!