IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Oh man Shorty, I thought you knew what you where talking about. That drive produced a 270 yard drive, its that simple, and your saying 170 total distance ? rofl.

That drive would perhaps carry 160 and roll the rest.

THIS  is why people get irritated and then move on.

If you hit the ball 300 yards, I am telling you that on the driving range, you would see people stopping in their tracks when you are hitting and you would hear the phrase "Holy shit!" a lot.

Not your experience? Hmm.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well my driver is busted shaft is busted atm, but the new shaft should be here today. It did start raining pretty good here today also  in Vegas, a nice cool down for the area. It might still rain for the next couple days, plus I'm having some back issues atm, but....Next week sometime I will post a video of me at the rang hitting multiple ball over a 260 yard fence. I guessing that's about 270 carry guaranteed. Not sure if that will make any believers but its worth a shot.

Again if anyone know somebody in town or is going to come threw Vegas, I will be more then willing to pay for your round of golf so I can prove it. I would also be willing to take any wager on a 300 yard drive up to say hmmm 100-1000 bucks in 20 or less balls. ROFL

So you'd get us the video, but it's raining, you have a bad back and your driver is broken.  LOL!

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Shorty

If you hit the ball 300 yards, I am telling you that on the driving range, you would see people stopping in their tracks when you are hitting and you would hear the phrase "Holy shit!" a lot.

Yes I have one guy admire my drive , but my range is usually empty. I get off work at 5pm and head straight to the course every round I played this year was in 95+ degrees, and almost all of them where in 100+. Not allot of people hit up my home course driving range around that time. I can carry the ball over 270 yards at times now.

Sincerely, Jim

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

So you'd get us the video, but it's raining, you have a bad back and your driver is broken.  LOL!

All ture, what wrong with that. I posted my broken driver days before this post. Check the weather it raining pretty good out here in Vegas atm, and my back is slightly sore ROFL. Like I said all true. Like I stated I will for sure deliver a video sometime during next week. My shaft should be here today and I'm going to attempt on reshafting it myself, no biggie. I should be good to go any day here.

Sincerely, Jim

Well my driver is bust

Again if anyone know somebody in town or is going to come threw Vegas, I will be more then willing to pay for your round of golf so I can prove it. I would also be willing to take any wager on a 300 yard drive up to say hmmm 100-1000 bucks in 20 or less balls. ROFL

It means nothing on rock hard, dry fairways.

On my course, at the moment, the course is wet and there is no run.

Holes that I have hit wedge to are unreachable with a fairway wood.

You have posted a swing video. You do not hit the ball 300 yards on a nornal golf course, I promise you.

I know your a straight forward type guy and slightly agressive at times. I just though you would have something way more accurate to say then that. If you think that swing can only produce a 160 carry, what 185 tops with roll? You my friend are an idiot. My course is not normal? Dessert Rose look it up, seems pretty normal to me.

Sincerely, Jim

What you say is raising the doubt. You admit to only hitting 1 or 2 bombs a round but claim you can produce video hitting multiple balls with a 270y carry. It just doesn't add up. Then there's that swing vid. I'm not trying to bust your balls but it's pretty brutal. If I saw you swinging like that on the range it would definitely be a WTF moment and not a good one.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

What you say is raising the doubt. You admit to only hitting 1 or 2 bombs a round but claim you can produce video hitting multiple balls with a 270y carry. It just doesn't add up. Then there's that swing vid. I'm not trying to bust your balls but it's pretty brutal. If I saw you swinging like that on the range it would definitely be a WTF moment and not a good one.

Never said the swing looked to great and I have added some technique and about 10mph+ swingspeed while accuracy is also getting better. I am now, the last few times I went to the range, hitting 270 yard carries maybe one out of every 10-20 balls. I mean its official, Im  hitting balls over a 260 yard 10 foot high fence.

Sincerely, Jim

Quote:

Never said the swing looked to great and I have added some technique and about 10mph+ swingspeed while accuracy is also getting better. I am now, the last few times I went to the range, hitting 270 yard carries maybe one out of every 10-20 balls. I mean its official, Im  hitting balls over a 260 yard 10 foot high fence.

There's a fence at 260 yards? And you're clearing it? Yeah, you gotta get a video of that!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I didn't imply you think it's a nice looking swing just that it's not a swing that produces a 270y drive. Not because it's ugly but because nothing about it looks powerful or capable of producing that long of a hit. Post your vid and you'll amaze this forum.

there are lots of guys who can smash the ball a long way off the tee.  technology being what it is these days, it's certainly easier to get in the 300 realm.  but like someone already said - smashing the bejeezus out of the ball doesn't make you a good golfer.  now me, i don't consider myself a long hitter as i tend to average about 270 off the tee, but typically the guys who get past me are only past about 10 or 15 yards.  last weekend, though, i played with a guy who was smashing his ball anywhere between 30 and 50 yards past mine every single time.  he was absolutely the longest amateur off the tee i personally have ever seen.  did it matter?  not a bit.  his irons were erratic and his short-game was practically non-existent.  as a result, i beat him by about 15 strokes.

point of that story being, if you can crush the ball 300+ yards, that's all well and good, but 100 yards in is where scoring happens.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There's a fence at 260 yards? And you're clearing it? Yeah, you gotta get a video of that!!!

That would be a pretty short range wouldn't it? Can't say I've ever seen a range that short.

I know your a straight forward type guy and slightly agressive at times. I just though you would have something way more accurate to say then that. If you think that swing can only produce a 160 carry, what 185 tops with roll? You my friend are an idiot. My course is not normal? Dessert Rose look it up, seems pretty normal to me.

I've seen your swing. You posted it. Your follow through is like a bunker shot and you generate no clubhead speed.

One of these days you are going start talking golf with someone who can actually play and you'll get talking about your distance. He'll set up a game and you, my friend, are going to be extremely embarrassed. Drives that carry 270 soar off into the distance. If ever you go to a tournamnet, you'll see guys on the tee and the ball shoots off into the air like a missile.

You are a beginner and you are enthusiastic. That is great. Unfortunately, like many beginners, you have no conception of what good players do and how they do it.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The eating with you was the swing. Hitting the ball low along a hard fairway is not how you generate distance on a course with lush fairways.

If you think I'm an idiot, I'll simply refer you to your claims and your swing video.

It's great that you are playing. But don't kid yourself.

I didn't imply you think it's a nice looking swing just that it's not a swing that produces a 270y drive. Not because it's ugly but because nothing about it looks powerful or capable of producing that long of a hit. Post your vid and you'll amaze this forum.

I will for sure post the video but not sure if it will do much good because it will be similar looking to my swing video, and nobody is correctly judging the distance that ball went. In the swing video you loose sight of the ball at some point and you cant see where it lands. I do have another idea though. There are two par 4's on my home course that both measure 313 from the reds. I can set up the camera, zoom in the green to show it's empty. Then zoom back, hit maybe 5 balls from those red tees, then zoom in on the green again. If there is a ball on the green or the fringe, then its official. Will probably get called out for trick photography but I will make both vids.

Sincerely, Jim

I will for sure post the video but not sure if it will do much good because it will be similar looking to my swing video, and nobody is correctly judging the distance that ball went. In the swing video you loose sight of the ball at some point and you cant see where it lands. I do have another idea though. There are two par 4's on my home course that both measure 313 from the reds. I can set up the camera, zoom in the green to show it's empty. Then zoom back, hit maybe 5 balls from those red tees, then zoom in on the green again. If there is a ball on the green or the fringe, then its official. Will probably get called out for trick photography but I will make both vids.

Seriously, just get on a trackman.  Show us your ballspeed, spin, and launch.  That's all we need to see.  You're in Vegas, there are a bunch of facilities with Trackman there.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I've seen your swing. You posted it. Your follow through is like a bunker shot and you generate no clubhead speed.

One of these days you are going start talking golf with someone who can actually play and you'll get talking about your distance. He'll set up a game and you, my friend, are going to be extremely embarrassed. Drives that carry 270 soar off into the distance. If ever you go to a tournamnet, you'll see guys on the tee and the ball shoots off into the air like a missile.

You are a beginner and you are enthusiastic. That is great. Unfortunately, like many beginners, you have no conception of what good players do and how they do it.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The eating with you was the swing. Hitting the ball low along a hard fairway is not how you generate distance on a course with lush fairways.

If you think I'm an idiot, I'll simply refer you to your claims and your swing video.

It's great that you are playing. But don't kid yourself.

See thats the thing, my swing video and distance is accurate, and you have greatly misjudged it. So yes I tend to think you don't judge distance well by looking at a swing video, or at least mine. Ill prove her in the next couple weeks somehow. Yah I was jerk by calling you an Idiot. My bad , I apologize for that one. When the day does come when someone talks distance and we go out, I my friend will by far not be embarrassed.

Sincerely, Jim

To the OP: [quote name="Jimbo Slice" url="/t/60345/why-is-it-unbelievable-i-can-drive-300#post_741560"]I've recently posted in a few threads mentioning I hit some 300+ yard drives. Even a 326 yarder measured with my gps. I've only been playing for 10 weeks and have a 27 handicap. I've been called a few names and would like to continue any conversations/debates with doubters or believers in this thread, instead of continuing in the other ones. Any input good or bad is very welcome. Cheers :beer: [/quote] In general... First, it's [b]hard to measure a drive accurately[/b] without a GPS. In short, if you don't have GPS readings, it's very hard to accept eyeballed measurements because they're notoriously unreliable, especially when you consider the fact that people want to think that they hit it farther than they do. Almost everything about estimating the distance will lead in favor of over-estimating. The climbing-and-dropping trajectory of a shot fools the eye into thinking the ball went farther than it did. The feel of swinging extra hard is meaningless, but may make you feel like you hit farther. The sound of the ball on the club may sound like an extra-loud crack, but it doesn't mean much. Tees are more likely to be shorter than printed distances instead of longer. Cutting a dogleg can "add" a lot of extra distance. And 300 yards is a lot of distance, 250 yards looks extremely far to the naked eye. And the driving range is a terrible place to evaluate long drive distances because you have very bad perspective from that distance, markers are often placed at incorrect distances, etc. We don't assume such claims are lies, there are a bunch of honestly delusional people out there who mis-estimated a distance. So it's a good rule of thumb to guess that reported distances tend toward inflation. It's easy to mis-measure distances, and we [b]see exaggerations happen[/b]. We've played with someone who crushed the ball and thought he hit it 280, but only hit it 245. We've heard the guy who thinks he averages 270 but is closer to 240. We've seen the guy who averages 300 but seemingly can't get the ball beyond the (confirmed) 270 marker on the range. We've read [url=http://www.golf.com/instruction/quest-300?page=1]articles[/url] by people who make estimates as to how far they drive but then get measured and are shocked at how much shorter they actually do drive. We ourselves have seen many examples where we didn't hit it nearly as far as we thought we would have. Etc. The examples of exaggerated distances are constant and abounding. Next, hitting 300 yards is [b]harder than it looks[/b]. Under fair conditions (eg, no downslope, no elevated tees, no hind-wind, etc), it takes a lot of clubhead speed to hit that far, which in turn usually requires good fundamentals to create and properly channel that energy. Most ammetuer golf swing mistakes tend to drain energy from the swing, so driving 300+ in fair conditions is usually a good sign of decent swing fundamentals. It's just hard to swing that fast without doing a lot of things right. So if someone says that they often drive 300+ but averages a score of about 100, it raises questions because those convey seemingly contradicting pieces of information. Watch the swings of pros who only average 290 yards off the tee. Watch how controlled and powerful their swings are. These guys hit it long for a living (although they do place a premium on accuracy) and they excel at hitting the ball very powerfully. For an unexperienced player to say that they too can do part of that comparably raises an eyebrow. And there's a difference between [b]hitting vs averaging[/b] 300+. Everyone hits the long drive of their life once. (I've hit two drives (that I'm aware of) past 300, and one of them used the cart path to do so.) But a lot of people don't estimate their average driving distance well. They remember the few long drives they hit and forget the others. They think they could average "about 300" when in reality they might be lucky to break 300 once in a round. And it's possible to get lucky and hit one or two good drives 300+, but to average it takes incredible skill and consistency. To claim to average such a long distance is to claim to have consistency with your swing fundamentals that you can harness to generate a lot of power. "Averages 300 yards of driving distance while shooting in the 90s" is a phrase you should only need to use once or twice in your life (for the exception golfer who no doubt exists somewhere). So while some think that most 300+ distance claims are dubious, they're very sure that lot of 300+ averages are wrong. Finally, hitting 300 yards is often used as a classic marker for "long way". A lot of people will casually say something about hitting 300 yards without one shred of evidence to back it up. Their friend will hit a terrific drive and later the person will say "wow, Bob must've hit it 300" without having done anything to confirm it at all. 300 yards is just a nice round number that we associate with really bad-ass long drives, and it gets tossed around casually by a lot of people. Put it all together and you have something that's very hard to do, easy to mis-report, very often wrongly reported, and sometime intentionally exaggerated to. That's why there's so much skepticism. 300+ drives probably happen 20% or less of the time they're reported on the Internet. So statistically speaking, we're just trained that there's an 80% (maybe 95%) chance that any such given claim online is wrong. Guy A online claims it then posts a video of his swing and is obviously wrong. Guy B in real life claims it and then actually uses a GPS and turns out to be wrong. Guy C claims it and then admits he was wrong. Guy D claims it and you were there and it was obviously completely exaggerated. Guy E claims it and happens to be right, but why would we have assumed he was right? It's entirely possible that you have driven 300+ yards. Even multiple times. Someone is out there doing it somewhere. Often these are one-time occurrences with a perfect drive under perfect conditions. (A low running drive on a rock-hard fairway with a little downslope can go a lot farther than it deserves to.) Odds are good that if you did it only a few times and you acknowledge that they were exceptional drives that a lot of people will believe you. But the odds of each individual claim being true are low, so we're skeptical in general. Post GPS confirmed yardages and if you had favorable conditions, mention them, and move on. Some will buy it, some won't. For me personally, I can believe that any reasonably athletic golfer [i]can[/i] hit the ball 300 yards at some point. But if you claim to average it or frequently do it, I'll be very skeptical.
  • Upvote 1

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 4235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!