IGNORED

Best Premium, Tour Compression Ball

Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jmorg19

The search for the ball is nearing the end. I played a Srixon Z-Star X today. After a birdie on the first hole, an eagle opportunity on a par 4, and being able to stop the ball like no other, this ball may be for me. It was sent to the golfing gods, however, when I hit a 6 iron 200 yards over the green and through the woods. I was attempting to lay up and it came off the face red hot. I also played a Taylormade TP Red LDP, Bridgestone B330, and a Callaway tourix. The TP Red was a fairly decent, but just didn't have the distance of the others. The Bridgestone is a very solid, long hitter ball. It had a nice soft feel, but I felt I was at the mercy of the ball at time. It would spin crazy fast one hole and release and roll further on a shorter shot the next hole. The Callaway is a stupidly long ball. I just threw my hands at it and got it down the fairway 340 yards. It is a great ball for long par 5's, but there just isn't a satisfaction when hitting it. It goes 300 yards but you feel like you hit a rock. I hit it with my iron decently flush (slightly thin) and thought I was going to throw the club. It genuinely hurts to hit that ball if you do not catch it flush every single time.

In the final episode of this saga, I will review, hopefully, a Nike One Platinum, a Callaway Hex, a Titleist ProV1x  a Top-Flite Gamer (wild card ball), and, if I can get a hold of one, a Nike 20XI.

I'm glad you found a ball you like.  I would like to point out that the Z Star X is Srixon's previous model so you won't find it in golf shops anymore; although I'm sure you can find them on ebay.  The Z Star XV is its replacement just as an FYI.  It's still a firmer ball, but has slightly lower compression than the X.  Also, most of the other balls you tested are old models that can not be readily purchased in golf shops, sporting goods stores, etc. anymore.

Originally Posted by jmorg19

I'm searching for a ball that has a 100+ compression factor that doesn't hit like a rock or cost a fortune. I hit a Taylormade TP Black LDP today and truly enjoyed it, but it wasn't very responsive around the green. I understand the trade off of having a harder ball, but I'm just curious if there is a happy medium ball. I may just be living in the great golf beyond though

I really think the ProV1x is the ball for you based on your comments.  I played it for a while because it is a higher compression ball yet somehow still has a soft feel off the clubface. And it has LOTS of spin around the greens (even more than the Pro V1).  I highly recommend you give it a try.  Just to note: the 2009 version is a little softer than the new version.

As an alternative, the Nike 20XIs are both higher compression balls (20XI-X and 20XI-S), and Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy have a "Buy 2 get one free" deal right now.  Although I wouldn't suggest getting 3 dozen before you determine you like them.  I don't personally didn't care for them, but that doesn't mean you won't like them.  Though I'm not sure how resonsive they are around the green since I haven't done any extensive personal testing with them.

Another suggestion is the Callaway Tour i(z).  This is the higher compression ball of the 2 Callaway offerings (Tour i(s) is the other).  These are the previous Callaway models (Hex Black Tour just came out), but you can get them for $35/doz on Callaway's website, or probably less on ebay.

These are my 3 recommendations, and I would consider myself to be a ball snob.  Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Originally Posted by Derek02

I'm glad you found a ball you like.  I would like to point out that the Z Star X is Srixon's previous model so you won't find it in golf shops anymore; although I'm sure you can find them on ebay.  The Z Star XV is its replacement just as an FYI.  It's still a firmer ball, but has slightly lower compression than the X.  Also, most of the other balls you tested are old models that can not be readily purchased in golf shops, sporting goods stores, etc. anymore.

I really think the ProV1x is the ball for you based on your comments.  I played it for a while because it is a higher compression ball yet somehow still has a soft feel off the clubface. And it has LOTS of spin around the greens (even more than the Pro V1).  I highly recommend you give it a try.  Just to note: the 2009 version is a little softer than the new version.

As an alternative, the Nike 20XIs are both higher compression balls (20XI-X and 20XI-S), and Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy have a "Buy 2 get one free" deal right now.  Although I wouldn't suggest getting 3 dozen before you determine you like them.  I don't personally didn't care for them, but that doesn't mean you won't like them.  Though I'm not sure how resonsive they are around the green since I haven't done any extensive personal testing with them.

Another suggestion is the Callaway Tour i(z).  This is the higher compression ball of the 2 Callaway offerings (Tour i(s) is the other).  These are the previous Callaway models (Hex Black Tour just came out), but you can get them for $35/doz on Callaway's website, or probably less on ebay.

These are my 3 recommendations, and I would consider myself to be a ball snob.  Good luck!

I actually meant Srixon XV. Looking back, I saw I left out the last letter. The ProV1x is just very expensive. To get recycled ones, you usually have to get ProV1's mixed in. That's part of the reason I'm looking for a different ball. I like them fine, I just don't like shelling out that much. The 20XI's are supposed to be phenomenal. I'm very excited to try them. I'll try them when I move back up to school in a few weeks. I may have run across a Callaway Tour i(z) in my bag the other day and didn't think about trying it. It will get thrown on the tee next round to try it out. I'm planning on trying the Hex Black Tours soon too.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

RBZ Clone 54* Apollo Black Steel Reg Flex

Custom Bionik 504 set for crossgrip

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

Z Star XV or  TP Black LDP to show off

You can also get the 20XI's on rockbottomgolf.com for around 27-28 bucks.  That is where I bought my trial dozen and will be going back for more!!  I do want to try to the Z-Star XV's though.

Driver: CALLAWAY Diablo Octane 9.5*

Woods: CALLAWAY Diablo Octane 15*

Hybrid: CALLAWAY Diablo Edge 21*

Irons: CLEVELAND TA7 3-PW

Wedges: CLEVELAND 588 51*, 56*, and (60* on standby)

Putter: ODYSSEY DFX 1100 mallet

Bag: NIKE Performance Carry (Lime green/Grey)

Ball: NIKE One Tour D

Originally Posted by fireman1153

You can also get the 20XI's on rockbottomgolf.com for around 27-28 bucks.  That is where I bought my trial dozen and will be going back for more!!  I do want to try to the Z-Star XV's though.

I didn't even think to look on there. The Z-Star XV's have the most satisfying feel I have ever hit. Even more than ProV1's and ProV1x's.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

You should try the Hex Black Tour NOW!!!  If you didn't already see, there's an awesome sale right now since Ernie Els won the Open Championship.  You can get a dozen for $27.30!!  The price is based on his total score (273).  You can buy them right on Callaway's website with free ground shipping.  Here's the link: http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us.html

The sale is going on for 273 hours.  It ends on 8/5 I think.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Try the Innovex V Motion.

http://www.innovexgolf.com/2012/05/01/innovex-v-motion-and-e-motion-golf-balls-reviewed-by-golfballselector-org/

I know a guy who owns a golf store and has a high speed swing - he plays these balls. They retail for about $32.95 and you can find them for less.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TomK82

bridgestone has a ball for everyone and they are by far the best wind ball available.

Bridgestone makes a better wind ball now. But Callaway with its HEX design has by all accounts, made the best wind ball for years.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Bridgestone makes a better wind ball now. But Callaway with its HEX design has by all accounts, made the best wind ball for years.

I respectfully disagree,side by side comparison for me the callaway was pushed around easier. I was a callaway guy on and off and i have tested every model including the fix vs the diablo and in my findings every bridgestone ball out performed callaway in the wind. The callaway hex design is great but some how bridgestone has found a way to beat them. Maybe this varies by player tho

Originally Posted by TomK82

I respectfully disagree,side by side comparison for me the callaway was pushed around easier. I was a callaway guy on and off and i have tested every model including the fix vs the diablo and in my findings every bridgestone ball out performed callaway in the wind. The callaway hex design is great but some how bridgestone has found a way to beat them. Maybe this varies by player tho

It must because I get great results with Callaway balls into the wind.   They just seem to bore through it.   Everytime I have hit a Bridgestone (or any other brand) into the wind, it has ballooned and fallen well short of where similar shots with Callaway balls have landed.    Same results with cross winds.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I have always gotten better wind results with Callaway's. I have only played the Hex's, so I can't say for previous generations. I felt the Bridgestone's got pushed around more (but not an unplayable amount) than the Callaway.

L4V 9* Stiff flex

3W-PW Reg Flex

Cart Bag or  Stand Bag

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

3 dozen KickX Balls (see the reviews here ) for $59.95.

http://secure.kickxgolf.com/p-5.aspx

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 dozen KickX Balls (see the reviews here) for $59.95.

http://secure.kickxgolf.com/p-5.aspx

Now that is a steal. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 7 months later...
Right now I'm playing the PRO V's...and also the yellow NXT's as well...I miss the the nike Black's that were around a few years ago, before the vapors.. where can I find this new ball "THE TOUR Z)..?...any big golf shop?...I'd like to give them a try as well !

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!