IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENtSwing32

Great round bro! What happened on 15??

Also, how is that course holding up? I might play there this Saturday...

Whoops, sorry I never answered your post Ben.  The course was as it always is.  Nothing great to look at, soggy everywhere, some bare lies and/or weeds in the fairways, etc, etc.  But they allow me to make tee times as a single, and there are always some available early in the morning before the course gets bogged down, and if I play like complete doo-doo there I still come away with an 81 or 82 because there is almost nowhere to get into big trouble.  It's very good for the handicap. :)  (And unlike a lot of other area courses right now, the greens weren't punched, and they were actually in quite decent condition)

On 15, the pin was back right, on the tiny, flattish shelf before it all falls to the front left.  I fatted my tee shot 30 yards short of the green, but hit a pretty good pitch shot that I wanted to make sure got onto that shelf.  So it just went onto the back fringe and left me with about a 12-15' over 18" of fringe ... and luckily it went in, or else it was going at least 5' past (if not off the front of the green, lol).

No worries man! I played there this morning and the course was in terrible shape. Tee'd off at 7:07 so I figured the greens would be at least OK...nope. Hit a ton of fairways (for me) and half of the time I was punished in a divot, bare area, mud, etc. At least I got to play today.

That's awesome you chipped in on 15! They must be reading the forum because the pin placement was similar today. I hit it in that left bunker and got UAD. Not sure I'll be playing that course again for awhile.

First thing that crossed my mind.. When is the last time you were fitted for clubs?  unless it is a camera illusion?

Yeah, just an illusion.  The frame isn't actually one single moment in time, but rather since the frame reads from top to bottom, it has the effect of several snapshots in one.  The top of the screen first, and the bottom last.  So the hands are at A6.9 but the clubhead is at A7.0.

Since the club is the only thing moving terribly quickly, its the only one thats noticeable. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, just an illusion.  The frame isn't actually one single moment in time, but rather since the frame reads from top to bottom, it has the effect of several snapshots in one.  The top of the screen first, and the bottom last.  So the hands are at A6.9 but the clubhead is at A7.0.

Since the club is the only thing moving terribly quickly, its the only one thats noticeable. :)

At least you think so :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

At least you think so

That's how it moves in my dreams ... so I just assume that's how it moves in real life.

BTW, you and your* stupid Flyers are really effing up my bracket right now, so focus, please!!!!  (Everybody else in my pool, seemingly, picked Florida, so if Dayton can knock them off, and if Wisconsin wins this afternoon, I will be in good shape)

*I know they're not technically "yours" but close enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Played golf today and had a fairly decent round (81, 72.2/125) and also had a "first."  I whiffed one.  I freaking WHIFFED!!!!!!!!! :banana:

It was a short pitch on a par 5, somewhat tight lie, however, beneath the ground it turned out to be a bit soft, I dug the leading edge in about 2 inches behind the ball and the club just deflected around it. :bugout: It led to a double bogey on the ninth hole and a crappy 43 for the front side.  Then I turned it around and played the back nine in +2, so all is well. :beer:

Played golf today and had a fairly decent round (81, 72.2/125) and also had a "first."  I whiffed one.  I freaking WHIFFED!!!!!!!!!

It was a short pitch on a par 5, somewhat tight lie, however, beneath the ground it turned out to be a bit soft, I dug the leading edge in about 2 inches behind the ball and the club just deflected around it.    It led to a double bogey on the ninth hole and a crappy 43 for the front side.  Then I turned it around and played the back nine in +2, so all is well.

Not sure if that is considered a whiff, you made contact with something. you can't help the ground happen to deflect your wedge. :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Should have just said he was trying to play it like a bunker shot.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Not sure if that is considered a whiff, you made contact with something. you can't help the ground happen to deflect your wedge.

Should have just said he was trying to play it like a bunker shot.

Tried to convince @Pakoh that it was a practice swing. ;-) He didn't buy it.  Conveniently enough, he ended up beating me by one shot today.  Yup, that's right.  He and I hit the ball the EXACT same amount of times, yet I still lost. :doh:

Tried to convince @Pakoh that it was a practice swing.  ;-) He didn't buy it.  Conveniently enough, he ended up beating me by one shot today.  Yup, that's right.  He and I hit the ball the EXACT same amount of times, yet I still lost.:doh:

Scene of the crime? :D

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

• 2 weeks later...

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, so it doesn't really deserve it's own thread, but how would you play this shot?  It is a 410 yard Par 4, dogleg right.  I hit my tee shot into the trees on the right, leaving myself 195 yards to a front right pin from here:

The green is just to the right of the bunker that's just to the right of the big tree trunk on the left side of the picture.  The center of the green is basically in line with the next tree trunk, and the pin is behind the next tree trunk.

What should I have done?

Punch out as far as you can safely advance it down the fairway to the left.  It does not look like there is much room to try anything else to me.  That could be just the picture though.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Punch out as far as you can safely advance it down the fairway to the left.  It does not look like there is much room to try anything else to me.  That could be just the picture though.

Yeah, that's about right.  Those trees start low enough that there is no way I can hit a solid punch shot in the direction of the green and keep it below the branches.  The prudent play would have certainly been to punch out to the left of the big, close tree. :beer:

Yeah, that's about right.  Those trees start low enough that there is no way I can hit a solid punch shot in the direction of the green and keep it below the branches.  The prudent play would have certainly been to punch out to the left of the big, close tree.

So what was the actual play, or are you waiting for more responses?  My guess was the safest punch out also, that is just way to many trees to deal with. But more than likely I would have tried to fit it through one of the small windows that existed.

Kurt

I'm leaning towards punch out, too, but I'd consider a high draw layup type of shot if there was room. Basically grab the right club that will get you both under and over the relevant trees. Hard to tell from the picture if that's a viable option.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

To me it looks like the obvious play is hit the iron that clears the trees between you and the green but stays under the overhanging branches of the tree right in front of you, aimed center/center-right green, splitting the tree trunk left and tree branches of first tree on the right.  I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it sure looks to me from the pic like the shortest/highest club/shot that gets you under the branches in front will easily clear farthest, highest tree.  From the perspective in the pic I'd guess it'd be a 7i for me, leaving a nice little pitch shot and a reasonable chance at up and down.

For me I'm pretty sure I could actually keep a punched 3i under those trees, but I'm pretty sure my chances of ending up with a really poor result is significantly worse with the shot above, between the 3-4 tree trunks in play and the overhanging branches.  And in making sure I keep it super low I probably couldn't get it any closer that way than with a shot over the trees.

If you're striking it well and feeling ballsy and not real score optimize-y you could also hit your 200-205 yard club (4i?) at the V on the left of the picture trying to hit a cut.  This works best if your cut shot miss tends to be a double cross straight shot with a slight pull, as then you're probably just hitting it into the green side bunker, which isn't a terrible miss.  If you tend to push missed cut shots with the long irons then that's not a great play even in the ballsy category.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

But more than likely I would have tried to fit it through one of the small windows that existed.

Ha!  It was the 10th hole, and I had been playing very mediocre-ly :-P , and figured if there was ever a time to try something daring, that was the time.  Wasn't going to be a great round, wasn't playing for money, so what the heck, right?

So I did exactly what you would do. :beer: Pulled out a 6 iron (because I was afraid a 5 iron would be too low) and tried to "kick" a field goal through this window right here:

The red "U" at the top were the goal posts, the blue line is the flag and the red box is the extent of the green.  I hit it well but pulled it a teeny bit, heard it clip a leaf, which didn't really affect it much, and it ended up just short of the green, front left. :beer: I "two-putted" for par from there.

Obviously, it was a pretty stupid play, but sometimes playing smart is boring. :-P And it sure was fun to pull it off!  (Would never try it when it mattered though.  Would have punched out left - @mdl I don't think it was possible to hit a club under the first branches and over the second one - and just settled for the likely bogey.

@mdl I don't think it was possible to hit a club under the first branches and over the second one - and just settled for the likely bogey.

Pics are deceiving.  I would've sworn a club that just clears your crossbar should at least come close to flying under the near branches!  That obviously then turns it into a much easier shot as your left goal post is basically the left tree trunk!  With the tiny window you drew, I'm not striking the ball well enough to go for that.  Maybe on 15 or 16 when I'm positive I can't even go home with a respectable, forget good, score and just want to see if I can pull of an unwise shot.  Right now that's a very low percentage shot for me...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1297 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!