IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wait.  Is getting an accurate scatter plot with multiple clubs and a large-ish sample size a requirement for implementing LSW approaches?!

It seems like getting the center of your distribution (and it's size) would help you plan the approach better.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Wait.  Is getting an accurate scatter plot with multiple clubs and a large-ish sample size a requirement for implementing LSW approaches?!

Requirement? No.

One of the many things given in the book that can help? Yes.

And it doesn't have to be SUPER accurate to be helpful. As @Golfingdad said he could probably have estimated his Shot Zone based on his play.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Requirement? No.

One of the many things given in the book that can help? Yes.

And it doesn't have to be SUPER accurate to be helpful. As @Golfingdad said he could probably have estimated his Shot Zone based on his play.

Well, screw it.  Rather than wondering what's in the book, I've gone ahead and ordered it :dance:

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Well, screw it.  Rather than wondering what's in the book, I've gone ahead and ordered it

You mean you didn't do this earlier ??? You'll be glad you did. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You mean you didn't do this earlier??? You'll be glad you did.

Ha.  I'll blame the first kid coming I think just after the book was released...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Thanks, I was just wondering, because I have no idea how I'm really going to do it.

I might need to get a little creative. Such as making a trip to RD in Irvine to get my coordinates on the hitting bays? I bring in one club at a time and "test" out other clubs while there? Another alternative is to pay for the $19 fitting at Golfsmith and spend an hour or so getting my shots mapped? One more possibility might be to hit balls on the course when it is not so busy, and use a rangefinder to map out the distances.

Let me know whatever you decide to do, I might just need to mirror your actions.

I have an email in to a couple of places with Trackmen to see if they will rent out some time.  I'll let you know if either of them pan out.  Until then, I'm stuck just estimating on the range.  So, here is the plot I promised with the target and scale.  Numbers are in yards.

This shows an oval of about 14 yards long by 14 or 15 yards wide for my PW.  In looking at it more closely, the only thing that concerns me is the fact that there are only 2 shots near the top that cause the entire oval to be about 6 yards taller.  Now I'm not so sure I should count those.

Well, screw it.  Rather than wondering what's in the book, I've gone ahead and ordered it

Nice.  I was going to try and sell you one of my extra copies at a premium (they're autographed, you know) but now maybe I'll save them until the signatures are worth something. :-P

Ha.  I'll blame the first kid coming I think just after the book was released...

Alright, that's a pretty good excuse.  We'll let it slide this time.  (BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

I have an email in to a couple of places with Trackmen to see if they will rent out some time.  I'll let you know if either of them pan out.  Until then, I'm stuck just estimating on the range.  So, here is the plot I promised with the target and scale.  Numbers are in yards.

Please do, and if the rates are reasonable maybe we can share the cost and both use it. Thanks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

(BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

Ha, I half jokingly advocated a number of mythical or ancient polytheistic god names.  Kind of turned into a running joke.  Though if we have a son I still kinda want to name him Atlas :-P

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

There's a place kind of in between us in Rowland heights with George Pinnell. He runs something called a "Trakman Combine". You hit 60 shots at a range of distances between 60 yards to 180 yards and driver. You get a score associated with accuracy and distance control. Running a "Combine" costs $150, so I'm not quite consistent enough to make this worthwhile. Something in the future for me, but maybe you can take advantage of it?

Grant Waite is featured in the video: http://georgepinnell.com/trackman-combine/

Grant scored 82.9, which is a pro level, of course.

George seems like a very nice person, and seems to know how to use the Trakman very well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

(BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

:dance: Congrats!

Ha, I half jokingly advocated a number of mythical or ancient polytheistic god names.  Kind of turned into a running joke.  Though if we have a son I still kinda want to name him Atlas

Not a god or mythical figure, but my wife wanted to name one of our kids Themistocles. She was serious.

There's a place kind of in between us in Rowland heights with George Pinnell. He runs something called a "Trakman Combine". You hit 60 shots at a range of distances between 60 yards to 180 yards and driver. You get a score associated with accuracy and distance control. Running a "Combine" costs $150, so I'm not quite consistent enough to make this worthwhile. Something in the future for me, but maybe you can take advantage of it?

Grant Waite is featured in the video: http://georgepinnell.com/trackman-combine/

Grant scored 82.9, which is a pro level, of course.

George seems like a very nice person, and seems to know how to use the Trakman very well.

There is this place I know in Erie with a Flightscope :-D

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Congrats!

Not a god or mythical figure, but my wife wanted to name one of our kids Themistocles. She was serious.

There is this place I know in Erie with a Flightscope

True, maybe that's part of the "playing around" on Saturday morning and early afternoon? One can only hope? O:)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
This shows an oval of about 14 yards long by 14 or 15 yards wide for my PW.  In looking at it more closely, the only thing that concerns me is the fact that there are only 2 shots near the top that cause the entire oval to be about 6 yards taller.  Now I'm not so sure I should count those.

Yes, I'd eliminate those two. They're outside the 80%. Not the 90%, but they're a stretch, so I'd get rid of them. If you suddenly start missing greens long and left, add them back in.

True, maybe that's part of the "playing around" on Saturday morning and early afternoon? One can only hope?

Saturday morning is booked. We'll be available at about 1 or 2pm Saturday afternoon.

The FlightScope will be available for people to chart their Shot Zones. It's not capable of emailing, though, so as dumb as it is, you'll just have to hit your shots, take a photo with your phone, and then clear them and hit the next club.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Alright, that's a pretty good excuse.  We'll let it slide this time.  (BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

Congrats!!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Ha, I half jokingly advocated a number of mythical or ancient polytheistic god names.  Kind of turned into a running joke.  Though if we have a son I still kinda want to name him Atlas

You should hang onto that one, because that, is a pretty badass name, if you ask me.  (I promise we won't use it ;))

Congrats!

Congrats!!!

Thanks guys!  We're pretty excited ... even if it was a "happy accident." :-P

Yes, I'd eliminate those two. They're outside the 80%. Not the 90%, but they're a stretch, so I'd get rid of them. If you suddenly start missing greens long and left, add them back in.

Perfect, I will do that.  Missing long and left is rarely a problem except with my gap wedge.  I still have a bit too large of a gap between it and my sand wedge so when I'm just a hair outside of the SW and have to hit a 90% GW, I sometimes nuke it.

The FlightScope will be available for people to chart their Shot Zones. It's not capable of emailing, though, so as dumb as it is, you'll just have to hit your shots, take a photo with your phone, and then clear them and hit the next club.

Sooooooo jealous!!!  Take lots of pics for us guys!!!!!

Double posts are allowed in your own thread, right?? ;-)

So I'm thinking of getting a Game Golf .  I have a bunch of GC money at golfgalaxy burning a hole in my pocket and think that it might be a great way to help create shot zones and track much better stats a free app on the iphone.

What do you guys think? @newtogolf don't you have one?  You like it??  Is there a yearly fee?

• Administrator
So I'm thinking of getting a Game Golf.  I have a bunch of GC money at golfgalaxy burning a hole in my pocket and think that it might be a great way to help create shot zones and track much better stats a free app on the iphone.

I'm having them send a few. We may have one as a prize for the MVP at our Erie get-together.

I'm curious about the accuracy, particularly on putts. How does it know where the hole is, for example?

I know for things like the fairway, you can adjust it after the round on your computer to nudge a ball a few yards (since GPS is only within about ten feet or so).

I'm having them send a few. We may have one as a prize for the MVP at our Erie get-together.

I'm curious about the accuracy, particularly on putts. How does it know where the hole is, for example?

I know for things like the fairway, you can adjust it after the round on your computer to nudge a ball a few yards (since GPS is only within about ten feet or so).

LOL ... I was just reading a couple of reviews and that was my exact thought ... how can it accurately chart the putts if it doesn't know where you're trying to go?

Also, the reviews seemed similar in that it had a lot of bugs still.  It's new enough that maybe I'll wait a bit so i can get a few more takes on it before I take the plunge. :)

Note: This thread is 1305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!